Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The hard drive failure thread

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
    Nope. The replacement drive should be covered until the original warranty is up. WD
    Where does it actually say that? Not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall actually reading that anywhere, mainly as I haven't returned a drive to WD before.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

They have no legal ability to do so. You purchase something, it needs to be repaired, you send it in for a repair, and now your warranty is shortened to 90 days after the replacement was issued? Where's the logic behind that?!

HP has a policy that you get an additional 90 days after a repair or replacement, so that even if you RMA the item a day before the warranty is up, you have an additional 90 days after receiving the replacement. Maybe you are thinking of that...
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

or the warranty database needs to refresh with updated data for your drive.
        had brand new seagate drives of a just introduced model that were not in the warranty lookup.when i called the csr stated these were just shipped a few days before and it took a few days to update.
        yes i had a doa.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          They have no legal ability to do so. You purchase something, it needs to be repaired, you send it in for a repair, and now your warranty is shortened to 90 days after the replacement was issued? Where's the logic behind that?!
          From the point of view of making more profit it is logical, although you are right, it doesn't really make sense, I must have been thinking of something else.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Ok, this clears things up. A link I found on a thread about this exact topic on their forum:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1058
            Once we received the defective drive, the warranty on the replacement drive is updated...
            So they have a "drop-shipper" for them in my Province who signals them that I have actually sent the package and that they have received it, and then they signal WD in California to send the replacement drive, and when WD actually receives the drive, they apply the actual warranty period. I'm confident that the local drop-shipper actually opens the package and verifies you have sent the proper drive and it is indeed eligible for RMA before giving the OK signal.

Now to check if I can get a replacement for that nearly brand new Caviar Blue I got out of an Acer where the customer couldn't wait for the RMA so he just paid for a new drive (Another Caviar Blue - yea yea I know... But WD is still the most consistent in my opinion).
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I tried to RMA a drive that came from a Seagate NAS, they refused saying taking it out voided the warranty.

WD will probably tell you to take it back to Acer.
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                2 640gb toshiba laptop drives.
                both less than a year old.1 in a customers laptop with a ton of bad sectors and more in current pending.was very slow.
                other in a neighbors laptop.
                dropped dead.
                no spin.
                seagate 7200.11 1tb with bsy bug.was backed up so my neighbor will just rma.
                had reallocated sectors and a few current pending before it died.i told him to back it up now.at least he listened!
                i got 3 640gb toshiba hardrives. all of them less than a year old and all are totally dead. they cant be detected when i plug them in directly to a laptop or with an external encosure.
                _________________________________________________________________
                Free Computer Service!!!!!!!!!
                If We can´t Fix the problem.

Comment

ive got a lot of costumers with WD hardrives and they most of the time have a lot of bad sectors.
                  _________________________________________________________________
                  Free Computer Service!!!!!!!!!
                  If We can´t Fix the problem.

Comment

I just put a 1 TB SAMSUNG FAILPOINT in my 2006 MacBook, Wish me luck
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I've had too many hard drives die or become too unreliable to use on me. Yes these are all my own disks, not a company or anything... These are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head, there are more...

A lot of these are estimated POH. My current record for power on hours is around 70K and it's still working (120G Maxtor). I really should replace it, it's part of a RAID5 though.

500G Hitachi - Ate as loss - 10000 POH - media failure
                      500G Hitachi - RMAed - 300 POH - Controller board failure
                      120G Maxtor - RMAed - 4000 POH - media failure
                      60G WD - Ate as loss - 20000 POH - Unreliable
                      30G Quantum - RMAed - 10 POH - bearing failure
                      20G Hitachi/IBM - Ate as loss - 10000 POH - unreliable/unknown failure
                      6.4G Maxtor - Ate as loss - est 8000 POH - unknown, then fried with a bad PSU during debug
                      2G WD - Spared - est 8000 POH - Unreliable (sometimes it works so I use it when needed)
                      400M Maxtor - Ate as loss - est 5000 POH - unknown failure
                      330M Seagate - ate as loss - est 6000 POH - killed with bad PSU
                      260M Seagate - ate as loss - est 6000 POH - unknown failure
                      40M WD - Ate as loss - est 6000 POH - bearing/media failure

As seen I have all sorts of different HDDs die on me. I'm not going to use that as a reason to never buy a particular brand. They're all going to fail at some point - just get the one with the specs needed and BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 12-01-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I have these in my computer:

ST2000DL003-9VT166 (5YD0W48B) 14740 hours (2 tb drive, g*d knows what series)

WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 (WD-WCAW30053135) 18272 hours (1 tb drive wd black)

WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (WD-WMAZA3290165) 14369 hours (2 tb , wd green i think)

WDC WD4000AAKS-00YGA0 (WD-WCAS84337477) 37237 hours (400 gb, wd black)

I actually upgraded the computer yesterday with new mb and cpu and memory so took advantage of that to snap some pics and clean the dust.. here you go

Also had a WD Green 1TB that I shipped to the datacenter my servers are at, but I don't have any tool to see the smart info directly.

(knock on wood) Maybe I was lucky, none of my drives have failed in the past, and I had a 640 GB seagate I sold, a 250 GB wd probably I gave to my sister... only a Maxtor 3.2 or 4.2 GB developed bad sectors after 1-2 years of usage.

BUT my system usually runs 24/7, it's powered by a quality psu and kept at decent temperatures.
                        Last edited by mariushm; 12-01-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

The 2TB Seagate is a Barracuda Green (3 x 667GB, 5900RPM).

In my experience heavier drives (for the same number of platters) are more reliable. The only (somewhat) recent drives I've used are Seagates, and only 1 out of 4 still works. My PC has that drive (ST31000528AS) for A/V (mostly backups of CDs and DVDs, as I'd trust any HDD except a 75GXP/60GXP or slimline Maxtor over them) and 2 x WD800JD-00LSA0 (1 system, 1 data). The backups are as as they get - random old HDDs being plugged in occasionally and the data manually copied over. But I think there's a 97% chance it'll be okay.

Comment

Be careful with the new Barracudas... They have head parking which can only be temporarily disabled (Resets on cold boot) with hdparm.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              Be careful with the new Barracudas... They have head parking which can only be temporarily disabled (Resets on cold boot) with hdparm.
                              I would be wary of doing that. A user on the Seagate forums reported increasing numbers of reallocated sectors on two drives shortly after disabling the head park feature with 3rd party software.

I know a single unverified case is not proof of anything, but note also Seagate released a firmware update for these drives after much complaint from users - and the update only made the heads park in a quieter fashion.

My intense speculation and tentative opinion is, the drives must park heads or somehow end up with bad sectors. Otherwise why did Seagate not just disable the 'feature' completely with the firmware update instead of slightly tweaking the noise?

Makes me suspicious. In any case, time will tell.
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                A user on the Seagate forums reported increasing numbers of reallocated sectors on two drives shortly after disabling the head park feature with 3rd party software.

I know a single unverified case is not proof of anything, but note also Seagate released a firmware update for these drives after much complaint from users - and the update only made the heads park in a quieter fashion.

My intense speculation and tentative opinion is, the drives must park heads or somehow end up with bad sectors. Otherwise why did Seagate not just disable the 'feature' completely with the firmware update instead of slightly tweaking the noise?

Makes me suspicious. In any case, time will tell.

Also, the last two posts don't make sense.

Comment

Are you saying my post doesn't make sense? Or the posts on Seagates forum?
                                  I agree, mine could sound a bit far-fetched, but I am not stating it as fact. Just a guess and opinion.

If parking the heads is unnecessary and users are complaining about it, why did the firmware update not disable the entire 'feature' completely, or at least provide a utility like WD did to let the user configure it themselves? They made the head parking feature, I'm sure they could get rid of it too. Haven't seen anyone yet who said they thought it was a good feature.

Yet the feature is still there and Seagate refuse to answer whether or not disabling it via 3rd party software is "OK".

I don't think that the conclusion of perhaps it has to be there for reliability purposes is senseless. It's not the first time a firmware-based feature has been used to extend the life of something with a design problem. Remember the IBM Deathstars?
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Are you saying my post doesn't make sense? Or the posts on Seagates forum?
                                    Neither of them. I'm talking about the last two posts in this thread before my response.

It's not the first time a firmware-based feature has been used to extend the life of something with a design problem. Remember the IBM Deathstars?
                                    I think letting the heads stay on one track for a long time was a defect to begin with. I don't know if any modern drive doesn't move the heads after idling for a while.

EDIT: Maybe Seagate programmed the firmware to artificially increase the reallocated sector counter if third-party modifications are made.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                      Neither of them. I'm talking about the last two posts in this thread before my response.
                                      The last two before yours were mine and Omarion's. If it wasn't mine you were talking about, I'm confused.
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

One of the posts I was referring to got deleted.

Comment

Attached Files
                                          My Computer.
                                          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment