Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iMac G5 - 2004 - Works but has bad caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac G5 - 2004 - Works but has bad caps.

So I got 2 G5's for $50 and both 'partially' work. Basically need to get HDDs and and OS. But when I openedup the iMac G5, I noticed 5 of them are starting to bubble up. So of course I thought to myself, I should replace them, but should I really do ALL of them?

I attached a picture from a repair kit on Ebay that I found... it's the 5 - 1000uF ones.

Any suggests on caps to replace them with?
    Attached Files

Re: iMac G5 - 2004 - Works but has bad caps.

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
    So I got 2 G5's for $50 and both 'partially' work. Basically need to get HDDs and and OS. But when I openedup the iMac G5, I noticed 5 of them are starting to bubble up. So of course I thought to myself, I should replace them, but should I really do ALL of them?

I attached a picture from a repair kit on Ebay that I found... it's the 5 - 1000uF ones.

Any suggests on caps to replace them with?
    Yes, you should replace them all.

Don't buy from ebay, there are too many scammers there.

Topcat sells a kit here, BUT, do you have the 3rd gen G5's? Cuz that kit won't work for them.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
      Yes, you should replace them all.

Don't buy from ebay, there are too many scammers there.

Topcat sells a kit here, BUT, do you have the 3rd gen G5's? Cuz that kit won't work for them.
      Sweet, thanks for the advice. It's a 2004 model, so I'm assuming it's the older generation and that kit should work, just wish it was a little cheaper since I plan on slinging this once it's fixed.

Comment

What would be wrong using these?

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?sku=39T8572

Comment

^
          The ESR would be wrong. Ruby ZL aren't a suitable replacement for the caps used on a G5. http://www.newark.com/nichicon/uhm1c...16v/dp/70R1147 (a Nichicon HM) would probably be close enough.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
          X