Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

I managed to disassemble my Dell 3008wfp. The power supply circuit looked in very good order with all nichicon (125 degree celcius) capacitors looking healthy. I'll need to invest in an ESR meter to check further.

For future reference these are the steps that I followed to disassemble this monitor:

1. Disconnected the monitor from mains and PC and relocate it to a very well lit area.

2. Using a credit card with one edge sharpened, part the top of the bezel from the black center plastic divider.

3. Using a plastic tire lever tool (ones for removing bicycle tires) wedge it into the gap made by the credit card and lever the tool so the black plastic center divider rises. Push down on the bezel and hopefully you have unlatched the clip. If you are seeing metal clips then you are removing the wrong clips. The clips are plastic and clip into the center black plastic divider (dividing back panel and the front bezel). Several tire levers help. Be careful around the bezel buttons as there is no slack for the ribbon cable.

4. With the bezel un-clipped rise the top of the bezel up by 90 degrees so the three very small screws holding the bezel button card can be removed. Remove the button card and from the bezel and put the bezel away.

5. Remove the monitor from the stand - 4 torque screws.

6. Place the monitor flat on a table with the screen up.

7. Un-clip the back panel with the center divider still attached from the metal body of the monitor. The tire levers or screw driver will do.

8. Turn the monitor over so you are now looking at the exposed metal body. Pull off all the metal tape that is in the way (pretty much all of it).

9. Disconnect the ribbon cable from the plug (pull out the brown ends by levering them outwards with a very small screw driver). Place the ribbon cable with buttons on the end in a safe place away from where you are working.

10. Remove the single screw holding down the card reader. Slide the card reader from the slots holding it place.

11. Go to the opposite side now and remove the two screws holding down the cover on this side. Lift the cover up and out of the way.

12. Disconnect the plug that is now in view.

13. Remove the three small screws holding down the top metal cover.

14. Slide the cover out and place it out of the way.

15. Remove all screws holding down the main electronics plate (6 of).

16. Remove the 2 screws securing the 3-pin power inlet connector.

17. Slide the main electrical plate towards the card reader and lift the top end up so it exposes two cables plugged into the back of the display.

18. Remove tape and unplug these two connectors so that the main panel can now be lifted away and worked upon. The power supply board can now be removed once the 4 screws on the back of the metal panel and all screws holding the power supply PCB in place are removed.

19. Good luck.

Comment

My problematic monitor is now working with no issues since I've connected my new desktop to it through the same video header (Display Port). Previously I was using a HP ProBook 6540b which at the time of purchase was one of few laptops with a DisplayPort. I bought this monitor 3 and half years ago in anticipation for a new desktop. I was getting worried that it wasn't going to last the wait of my new PC desktop. All happy days now. Is it possible that the laptop was driving the monitor to hard??

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much - you guys are awesome!

My monitor died exactly one month after out of warranty, and also no help from Dell.
        Awkward that DELL told me to throw this monitor away and doesn't not offer any repair service. I'll never buy any DELL products again!

It was not easy to disassemble the front bezel, hence I did some shots that may help other how I did it.

I've also some Schotkys (STPS40170CT) left (had to buy them in a package). If you're located in Germany PM me.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's good to hear someone else has now managed to fix their 30" monitor. Definitely not cheap to replace in a hurry.

Sounds like D22 is a weak link in the design. Probably more and more 3008WDP owners will wake up to a heavy paper weight over the next year or so. Hopefully they'll find this thread also.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their posts on the Dell 3008 monitor. I too have one of these at my job and it just died on me 2 days ago. Now I have some background to get it up and running. Thanks again for all the detective work!

Comment

I managed to disassemble my broken 3008WFP today. Right now, I am stuck. I cannot find a way to remove the power board. It seems to be strongly glued to the metal back. Can anybody give me a hint?

@r-sherwood: I would be happy to take one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by gothery View Post
                I managed to disassemble my broken 3008WFP today. Right now, I am stuck. I cannot find a way to remove the power board. It seems to be strongly glued to the metal back. Can anybody give me a hint?

@r-sherwood: I would be happy to take one of these.
                Can you attach a photo of your board? It's hard to tell where you're at based on your wording.

Comment

Here is a picture of the board. I removed all the skews. The heat sinks are tightly glued to the chassis.

My idea right now is to unsolder all parts from the heatsinks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

These are the instructions - are there any screws through from the metal side as with the 3007? perhaps into the posts- pic of metal side please.

If it IS just stuck you will have to prise it off carefully.

1. Remove the plastic bezel around the LCD
                    2. Unscrew the three small screws holding the front panel button control circuit
                    3. Unscrew the right side and bottom screws that hold in the thin shiny metal covers
                    4. Unscrew the screw holding the card reader; disconnect the card reader ribbon cable.
                    5. Slide the cable reader up and out from the clip holding it in.
                    6. Unscrew all the visible screws from the metal cover that houses the circuitry
                    7. Unscrew the black screws on the top and bottom of the panel and slide out the metal brackets
                    8. Unplug the cable from the right side.
                    9. Slide the metal cover that houses the circuitry up a little bit and unplug the small ribbon cables
                    10. Flip the housing over.
                    11. Unscrew the circuit board screws and the screws by the power plug
                    12. Remove circuit board and unplug the three other cables
                    13. Replace and go backwards to reassemble.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Finally, I managed to loosen the power board, with the right tool. Unfortunately I don't know the english name for it. See at the photo.

I took a series of photos of the disassembled dell 3008wfp. From the visuals I cannot see any flaw at all. On the metal covering the inverters, I found something that looks like rust.

My screen went dark one day and never turned back. Computers still recognized the display and it seems to operate except that it does not display any image.

Where should I continue to look or measure?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by gothery; 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM. Reason: Added more pictures with the heat-sink desoldered

Comment

Have you tried checking D22 for a short yet? It seems to be a weak point for this power supply.

Comment

I was going to post this earlier but saw the previous post and have been reading the thread so D22 is the priority check. Everything about it is earlier in the thread including its location
                          If English is not your first language and do not understand any of it just ask.
                          (Haha English is my only language and I barely understand it!!)

Paint Scraper- dont know about in the USA

When you switch on did the screen flash bright at all

What did the power led do - colour/ flash
                          Any sounds - hum pop hiss

The pictures are good but perhaps you can do better ones without flash?

I cant just see how it all fit together. is it the same as the 3007 in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKvAirYSqUM

Where does the power to the inverter board come from can you take the plastic off the inverter board and take a pic
                          of it.

We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say what the supposed fault was and a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.

Do you have a multimeter and soldering equipment & can you use them.
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I desoldered the D22 Diode and run a basic test with my multimeter. It seems to behave like expected. Blocking one direction and letting through the other.

@selldoor: I will try my best. I am from Germany. Right now it's very dark here.

I have a multimeter and basic soldering equipment. I have mainly soldered wires for cables and no detail knowledge of the circuits.

As of the error. It went dark, the other day. Somehow I could manage to get a stable picture back and it stayed that way for a while. After that I turn the display on and I get a second of an image and it went totally dark after that. After that I never got a flash of the display again.

Finally, I started to investigate the issue today and found this very helpful thread.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gothery View Post
                              Finally, I managed to loosen the power board, with the right tool. Unfortunately I don't know the english name for it.
                              I call it a putty knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putty_knife

I normally use butter knives to open the monitor. After opening about 30 of these, you get to be pretty good with minimal damage.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If the diode has not failed open circuited (high current) then you probably won't see if the diode is failing short circuited with a multimeter. I am assuming previous failure of D22 on other monitors in this thread was a sort circuit at operation voltage without causing the diode to fail permanently in an open circuit state (both directions). Maybe the other members who have removed their faulty Schottky Diode can report on the state of the diode with a multimeter?

I'd would start by replacing D22. Did the power light at the front turn off or go from blue to orange?

Comment

Just had one of these take a dump in one of our simulators, information and pictures on here were dead on. Only 8 more to watch break and repair....

Comment

OK - thanks for the pictures They are a little better but if you look at them and try and see what I am asking you to test you will see the problem.

Wait and see if you get any more info about the D22.

Easy things to test - On pic 1 in the middle of the board there is a fuse F1 - check with meter on ohms200 should be the same as touching the probes together.Report result.

Also on that board the top connector is twisted - is it attached ok?

Again on that board, with meter on 2000 ohms can you check each transformers secondary winding- that is the two pads on the white band the connectors are on. Please records results as
                                    T1 xxxohms
                                    T2 xxxohms and so on

The Yellow caps on that board ar Samyoung which do not have a great reputation.

On Pic No 3 top right corner there are 3 other white fuses F301 and F302 & F303 next to each other

on Pic 6 there are 3 fuses bottom right F1 F2 F3 not all populated? Also on this board there are components labelled FL1 to FL8 these are fusible links and blow just like fuses so they can be checked the same There may be more of these and more fuses I just cant see.

Finally I attach a pic with joints marked in red - Maybe just the photo but they look burnt - can you check them - may need resoldering.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I got my Schottky Diode replacement last week and managed to solder it this weekend.

And it works!!!

I put my old 30" monitor on an full one day test run. I checked all the input connectors and so far everything seems to be working!

That's really rewarding! Soldered by my own hands.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I just wanted to profusely thank everyone in this thread.

After reading it I was able to successfully repair my 3008WFP.

My monitor failed to power on(no lights at all) about 4 months after the warranty period expired.

I replaced my D22 with a STPS40170CT from RS components. Got a pack of 5 for $23.76(AUD) delivered.

It is now fully operational and works great.

It certainly would not have been even remotely possible without this thread so I just wanted to thank everyone here for taking the time to share your knowledge. It really means a lot to me and also saved me $1400 odd replacement dollars.

Thanks!

Comment

The success stories sure seem to be rolling in on this one lately. Glad to hear we could be of assistance.
                                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                          X