Yamaha RXV595 turns off instantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha RXV595 turns off instantly

Hi guys, a friend brought me a Yamaha RXV595 that turns off after 3 seconds, eventually it stays turned on for longer time but if the input selector knob is turned either way it shuts off instantly.

Since i never repaired a audio equipment before, i hope someone might help on this issue.

I downloaded the service manual and this is what i get when it boots into service mode:

DVD/LD MAIN BYPAS
    DVD/LD DC 18% ( <---- what does this message mean)

Re: Yamaha RXV595 turns off instantly

press effect + program + standby/on buttons all at once.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      press effect + program + standby/on buttons all at once.
      Hey Goon, i tried what you mentioned. It says EFFECTS OFF and turns off after 3 seconds. Still turns off instantly after being turned on again and again

Comment

^ Huh. This one must use a different button combo to display errors...

Here's a good question. European version (240v powered) or US (110v). The 240v version is flawed across many models.

EDIT: i'll throw this out there for anybody finding this thread later on. The "Green" cap (metalized film) fim fails. The topic is well covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwvjAtSr5t8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0j7QjriD9o
        Last edited by goontron; 01-28-2018, 03:13 PM.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
          ^ Huh. This one must use a different button combo to display errors...

Here's a good question. European version (240v powered) or US (110v). The 240v version is flawed across many models.

EDIT: i'll throw this out there for anybody finding this thread later on. The "Green" cap (metalized film) fim fails. The topic is well covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwvjAtSr5t8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0j7QjriD9o

European, 240V

Comment

^ Ok. barring retrieving any error codes, i would try that capacitor. What happens when that cap fails is the 5v rail goes low. 3 seconds to dead is a fault it will cause. Eventually it will get to the point of being dead totaly. C405 i believe.
            Last edited by goontron; 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Shutdown after 3 sec is likely to be excessive amplifier DC offset. Sometimes it can be a fault in the protection circuitry.
              Measure the DC offsets.
              Last edited by rievax_60; 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Also measure the voltage at the Base of one of the mute transistors to see if it ever attempts to go negative just before shutdown. It should go to -15v in a properly working receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                  Shutdown after 3 sec is likely to be excessive amplifier DC offset. Sometimes it can be a fault in the protection circuitry.
                  Measure the DC offsets.
                  Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't it display something along the lines of "PROTECT" or "SPEAKER FAULT" If it was the outputs? Or am i giving this computerized junk too much credit?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

It does say "DC 18%", I'm hoping that this might mean DC protect.
                    I have seen false DC protect shutdowns caused by leaky diodes causing unindented interaction between Mute, I protect and DC protect circuitry.
                    Last edited by rievax_60; 01-28-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

^ Huh. yeah, that could be a protect. 18% of what though? Im going to try and find a service manual for this. The CR series is easy to get documentation on, why not RX series

Mid/Late 90s Pioneer stuff has a habit of transistors going leaky in the protest circuit and intermittently cutting in, so bad SS parts wouldn't surprise me.

Found the diag mode. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/70...page=10#manual

Using the front panel keys of the main unit.Plug in the AC power cord , and, with Power OFF, hold down the "INPUT MODE" and "FM/AM" keys simultaneously(Step 1), and then press the "STANDBY/ON" key (Step 2)
                      Well shit, look at that.
                      DC % Appears when the power amp DC protection function has been activated. For the % value, the voltage at that point is shown by 5V/100%. When power is turned on in an abnormal status, power will turn off after two seconds

This computerized stuff is weird. And i guess i can't read well enough to realize OP already has it in service mode... Christ im batting 0s today. Im out before i make myself look more clueless.
                      Last edited by goontron; 01-28-2018, 09:17 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I would measure for short on the finals. Just to be sure.

Comment

Quick update, i checked all the voltages on and from the regulators and they seem okay... Interesting thing is this:
                          It shuts off instantly if the impedance switch is set to 8 Ohms
                          It only works on one speaker on channel A on 4 Ohm impedance setting, if anything else is connected to output it shuts down instantly
                          If the volume is turned beyond 60% it shuts down on channel A

Comment

^ Yeah, follow rievax_60s advice and Measure the DC offsets.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Like suggested above... Check the offset voltage on each channel, It can be measured at the center pin of R692,R696, R694, R690 & R688. It should be close to zero volts. which ever channel is not zero, that channel has a problem.
                              Last edited by R_J; 01-30-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Here are the voltages:

R692 = -11mV
                                R696 = -8mV
                                R694 = -14mB
                                R690 = 4mV
                                R688 = +32V

That R688 doesn't seem to be remotely in the range, any suggestions?

Comment

well there's your problem channel, main Left. start by checking the transistors in that output circuit, check the R688 and see if one of the two resistors are open, Also check R598 & R602 & R599. see how those parts check out, if they seem ok (I doubt it) check Q506, Q511, Q512
                                  Last edited by R_J; 01-31-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Hi guys, R J i did some testing, i think q506 might be the problem.

Resistors measured:
                                    R688 0.18 / 0.20 Ohm
                                    R598 5 Ohm
                                    R599 340 Ohm
                                    R602 5 Ohm

Q511 and Q512 seem okay, but take a look at the Q506 vs Q507 and Q509. Q506, Q507 and Q509 should have a same role, but Q506's B and Uf are both 0.

I did not measure voltages at the Q's, will do that and report soon
                                    Last edited by 6ot4hr; 02-01-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I don't use one of those, I use a meter with diode test. I guess Q506 could be bad, that amp is dc coupled so that could cause the offset voltage to be that way

Comment

Working...
                                      X