cd changers not reading cd's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cd changers not reading cd's

I have 2 cd players that were working and are not now. One is a 1990 pioneer pd-m430. The lens fell out of the laser (common problem) and I put it back it. When I put the disc in the laser adjuster just clicks up and down. The motor does not spin. The motor does work, I checked it. Tried various CD's that I know work. The other machine is a decade newer, Symphonic cd5800 , completely different machine and it does the exact same thing. How strange. I cleaned the eyes on both machines. Both will not spin the discs. Any thoughts.

Re: cd changers not reading cd's

you already know it's the laser assembly.

if you put a sheet of paper over the lense as a defuser, can you see the red dot??

Comment

the mirror might need cleaning . can be a fiddly job .

Comment

I can see some red thru the lens (yes I am 30cm away from laser) but it wont project onto my hand or a piece of paper. One issue that is the same on both machines is that the cd wont spin. In the repair flow charts it says the laser tries to focus (which they do) and the disc spins (which is doesn't). Its strange.

Comment

no, usually the laser comes on, and the sensor triggers the system to start the motor because it see's a reflection.
          then the system trys to tune the focus by ajusting current to the coils under the lense.

so no reflection detected - no disk spinup.

the paper trick must be thin paper placed directly onto the lense - the laser is focussed only a few mm from the lense.
          in theory if you use shiny paper or foil the motor may kick for a second.

Comment

Reflection method not working on both machines. What is the small micro pot on the side of the laser head. Might be worth playing around with some adjustments before trashing the units.

Comment

that's the current to the laser i think - it's not going to cause total failure.
              i suspect your problem is mechanical.

Comment

Working...
              X