Audio recorders damaging pre-recorded tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio recorders damaging pre-recorded tapes

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience of an audio cassette recorder causing damage to pre-recorded tapes, or wiping segments from it.

There have been plenty of occasions, recently, where I have found that a previous audio cassette player has silenced out a small portion of the tape or caused other noises. The tapes in question are pre-recorded and store bought, with the record-enable tab missing, so pressing Record accidentally is out of the question.

On one of the tapes, the recording on it suddenly goes to silence for a couple of seconds and then resumes at full quality, as if nothing had happened.

On another tape, a different effect has occurred - the recording suddenly gets silenced and there's a high-pitched whistle for one second. Another second later, the recording comes back on but at a lower volume. A few more seconds later, and the full volume resumes.

In addition, I've found that if I turn off my hi-fi system with a tape in it (in the middle of the tape, not on the leader), I find it's left a small 'click' on the tape when I play back that segment again. This even happens if I manually stop the tape with the stop button before turning off power!

I'm sure you remember the post I made a while ago about a strange noise on a blank audio tape. Could it have been made by one of my tape machines as it stopped rewinding or playing? Anyone had similar things happen on audio tapes?
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Audio recorders damaging pre-recorded tapes

fuck...this is a poltergeist for sure, you need a priest urgently
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

doesn't the tape have a "read only" protection on it?
      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

yes but that is only mechanical protection, a tab which stops user pressing record

obviously there is some defect with the unit. it is the same head for play/record so something is getting messed up.

i miss tape. everybody had tapes and they were so convenient to copy and also fun to make mixes and hear them in the cars. my first (and last) really good tape player was a marantz sd515. i remember when i first experienced dual cassette deck when the dubbing automatically changed to side B. damn that was sexy stuff
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
        X