Sansui 555A going strong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sansui 555A going strong.

I purchased a Sansui 555A about 1974. 33years ago. Several years ago I gave it to a son in law. A few weeks ago he decided to try it. He complained that one stereo channel distorted badly and was going to throw it out.

I took it home tested it and found that one output stage fuse had failed due to thermal fatigue. When the fuse was fixed and bias checked and adjusted to spec test equipment found that performance was great.

For interest I checked the 33 year+ old caps with an ESR meter. The ESR was too low to measure so they appear to be in great shape.

Apparently this amplifier is highly regarded as a classic. One is being offered for sale at A$350.00. Definitely not a throw out job. A really solid build piece of equipment.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Re: Sansui 555A going strong.

Yup, several Sansuis show up the local pre-owned Hi-Fi pre-owned equipment dealers every year. I particularly dig the low-end Sansui A40/A60/A80 integrated amps with the analog VU meters. They go for generally very little money in used condition, sound great and the discrete electronics are easily restored.

Comment

Working...
    X