Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: clearing solder from very small vias

Originally posted by m4a2t0t View Post
    Is there a reason you dont just heat the board up with a hot air gun until the solder liquefies and then push the connector through the holes? You can put fresh solder on all the pins after.
    Yeah I guess that would work, also I have the Kada 853B now so I could warm the board from the rear and push the connector through

I'll have the desoldering gun when my missus comes back from the UK next Thursday so I'll probably wait for that now. I did order one from aliexpress a couple of weeks ago but they cancelled my order because I live in a remote area according to DHL (but not according to UPS or Fedex apparently) and I wouldn't pay the extra $50 postage they wanted to charge me - so it was cheaper to get one in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140W-Deso...sAAOSwwCxbCw~X
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

you should have asked, i could have given you an order code to get one from cpc for 49.99

Comment

Cheers mate. I have an account with CPC but didn't look

Better luck next time I guess....

Can you find me a cheap Pace ADS 200?

Best deal I have so far is Welectron €242.86 with free postage to Gran Canaria. I don't have to pay VAT here
        Last edited by dicky96; 11-20-2019, 04:52 PM.
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

If your after a ADS200 then I would suggest going for a second hand td100, very very similar system quite a lot cheaper as well. I have looked at the ADS200 for the workshop but reached the conclusion the 'upgrade' would not offer anything the TD100 did not already do.

Comment

I can't even find a TD100 on a UK or EU seller site they must be a scarce beast.

CPC/Farnell have the replacement irons but not the base unit

ebay.uk and ebay.es don't show any listings
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

The vacuum desoldering gun eventually arrived. I used it in conjunction with the cheap Kada 853B pre-heater that I bought...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kada-853B...EAAOSw9E5b3jhI

...and I have to say it made short work of clearing the solder from the small vias and I easily replaced the HDMI connector.

I used the pre-heater with a cheapo temperature meter + thermocouple, and gradually turned the power up to preheat the PCB to 100C from the bottom side.

The customer was very happy to get their satellite receiver back working. As it had an expensive subscription on it that I couldn't transfer to another box they were happy to pay enough to cover the cost of the desolder station and give me a small profit besides, so now it owes me nothing but I am sure it will get plenty more use in future. I should have bought one of these a long time ago. I'm very pleased with it for not too much money. Recommended.
              Last edited by dicky96; 12-04-2019, 11:49 AM.
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

what temp did you use?
                i set mine to 260 or 280' i'd have to double-check - if you go too high you can lift pads because you generally keep thse tools on the pads a lot longer than an iron.

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                  The customer was very happy to get their satellite receiver back working. As it had an expensive subscription on it that I couldn't transfer to another box they were happy to pay enough to cover the cost of the desolder station and give me a small profit besides
                  That was nice of the customer to be willing to cover the cost of the machine unit that you had to buy to do this job

You do not hear this very often from customers saying this I understand their predicament and what they were facing which sometimes this motivate someone to offer to do this

I know I would if I had money tied down to something that broke down and want to get my money worth out of it

One note from your post I am going to order one of those units
                  Kada 853B Preheater Preheating Station
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-04-2019, 04:59 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

...and I have to say it made short work of clearing the solder from the small vias and I easily replaced the HDMI connector.
                    What did you found more needful?
                    That is, could you've cleaned the vias using only the vacuum desoldering gun?

Comment

i doubt the vac tool could do it alone - the pads are very small and hdmi has a lot of grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                        That was nice of the customer to be willing to cover the cost of the machine unit that you had to buy to do this job

You do not hear this very often from customers saying this I understand their predicament and what they were facing which sometimes this motivate someone to offer to do this

I know I would if I had money tied down to something that broke down and want to get my money worth out of it

One note from your post I am going to order one of those units
                        Kada 853B Preheater Preheating Station

Yes mate the satellite receiver was a Bein Sport. This customer is a hotel (not all inclusive) and they have two of these boxes at the pool bar which means they make money from guests wanting to watch the live football.

These subscriptions are not 'officially available' outside of the Middle Wast and North Africa so to get them here firstly you pay a premium and secondly there is no warranty so if the box breaks you lose your subscription which, including a replacement box, will cost you upwards of 600 euros to replace.

The viewing cards are paired to the box and they are not transferable. So in this case yes the customer was being understanding but also they have no other option as this box was subscribed for 12 months quite recently. It was a straight choice 100 euro repair or 600 euro replace. I had three scrap Bein boxes to practice on, and to get the HDMI connectors, but straight away I found I could not do the job with the kit I had and maintaining a high chance of success. Hence my quoted repair cost.

I am sure you will get some good use out of that Kada heater. Get a temperature meter and thermocouple as well if you don't already have one as the temperature dial on the Kada has no real meaning. I found it is quite easy to get the PCB to a steady 100-120C with the Kada dial at about 50% and using a thermocouple to monitor it.

Using the desolder station without the Kada I found it would not clear about 50% of the holes alone. I tried at 320C and also at 380C, at the higher temperature I could clear the holes without ground planes. This was when clearing the holes with the old HDMI connector already removed. I used hot air to actually remove the HDMI connector. This was on a practice scrap board.

In the end I used the Kada at 100-120C and the Desolder gun at 320C and it made very short work of it, the vias were so clean that when i fit the new HDMI, it would fall back out by itself when I turned the PCB upside down.

I did lift one pad on the back side of the PCB but that one had no connections on that side. However this was the first time using this kit so with a bit more practice and I suspect by turning the desolder gun down a little bit and turning the preheater up a little bit I can probably get it just right.
                        Last edited by dicky96; 12-06-2019, 09:27 AM.
                        Follow me on YouTube
                        ------------------
                        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Yes mate the satellite receiver was a Bein Sport. This customer is a hotel (not all inclusive) and they have two of these boxes at the pool bar which means they make money from guests wanting to watch the live football.

These subscriptions are not 'officially available' outside of the Middle Wast and North Africa so to get them here firstly you pay a premium and secondly there is no warranty so if the box breaks you lose your subscription which, including a replacement box, will cost you upwards of 600 euros to replace.

The viewing cards are paired to the box and they are not transferable. So in this case yes the customer was being understanding but also they have no other option as this box was subscribed for 12 months quite recently. It was a straight choice 100 euro repair or 600 euro replace. I had three scrap Bein boxes to practice on, and to get the HDMI connectors, but straight away I found I could not do the job with the kit I had and maintaining a high chance of success. Hence my quoted repair cost.

I am sure you will get some good use out of that Kada heater. Get a temperature meter and thermocouple as well if you don't already have one as the temperature dial on the Kada has no real meaning. I found it is quite easy to get the PCB to a steady 100-120C with the Kada dial at about 50% and using a thermocouple to monitor it.

Using the desolder station without the Kada I found it would not clear about 50% of the holes alone. I tried at 320C and also at 380C, at the higher temperature I could clear the holes without ground planes. This was when clearing the holes with the old HDMI connector already removed. I used hot air to actually remove the HDMI connector. This was on a practice scrap board.

In the end I used the Kada at 100-120C and the Desolder gun at 320C and it made very short work of it, the vias were so clean that when i fit the new HDMI, it would fall back out by itself when I turned the PCB upside down.

I did lift one pad on the back side of the PCB but that one had no connections on that side. However this was the first time using this kit so with a bit more practice and I suspect by turning the desolder gun down a little bit and turning the preheater up a little bit I can probably get it just right.

Thank you for responding to my comment
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                          X