LG 42LV 4400 Will not come on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG 42LV 4400 Will not come on

Just go to shopjimmy.com, put in your model number and the parts will be displayed. I just did a quick shipping rate estimate and it was about $39.00 for ground, bastards

If its the eeprom your after there are alternatives, I see one for $12.95 + $9.00 Shipping (ships to: US, Canada)
    Last edited by R_J; 06-17-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Tks RJ and I did give it a try and yes they will ship to Canada but 39.00 US bucks to ship these two small components is ridiculous so now the price becomes 60.00us plus exchange looking at $80.00 Can. Just not going to happen. Why is it that China can ship it for free and the US wants an arm and a leg???

Comment

I have no idea, China usually uses post office so it takes a while.....
        Like I have said before, how is it that Digikey can ship to Canada and I get the parts next day! for only $8.00 CDN
        The spi/eeprom blank is under $1.00
        I have'nt followed this thread but if you suspect the eeprom have you tried freezing it to see if the tv comes on?

Comment

There's the eeprom for 12.95 https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-42LV4400...IAAMXQCgpRwjka

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            Like I have said before, how is it that Digikey can ship to Canada and I get the parts next day! for only $8.00 CDN
            I have'nt followed this thread but if you suspect the eeprom have you tried freezing it to see if the tv comes on?
            Since I have limited work space I had to pack it away to make room for my wife's birthday party put I do plan on pulling the board tomorrow and try cooling it down some what and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              Tks pal appreciate it that's half the price of the of the first. I do realize it is only one chip put the shipping is more reasonable

Comment

I think most of the time it's one or the other that's bad, thinking if that one is the one they sell the most of then it's probably the culprit. Happy Birthday to your Mrs.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-17-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Yes the failure of this one, according to the description given on shopjimmy, best suit my symptoms?? Thanks for the Birthday greeting

Comment

Just what is the heating/cooling process? Do this apply to the whole board or just the eeprom. Can I place it in a refrigerator overnight to achieve the same result? I assume it's powered on when its cold again when heated?

Comment

You can buy freeze spray in a can or use an invertered can of caned air, the liquid propelant in caned air will freeze the ic.
                      The only part that you need to freeze is the eeprom itself.
                      With the tv unplugged, freeze the eeprom, then wait a second or two, plug in the tv and see if you can turn it on, you may need to repeat the freeze process a couple times, but always unplug the tv then freeze the ic. The reason for this is the micro reads the eeprom when the tv is first plugged in, not when the power button is pressed. freezing the ic after the tv is plugged in will not work.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by R_J; 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Tks RJ will give it a try and hope for the best.

Comment

You can buy freeze spray in a can or use an invertered can of caned air, the liquid propelant in caned air will freeze the ic.
                          The only part that you need to freeze is the eeprom itself.
                          With the tv unplugged, freeze the eeprom, then wait a second or two, plug in the tv and see if you can turn it on, you may need to repeat the freeze process a couple times, but always unplug the tv then freeze the ic. The reason for this is the micro reads the eeprom when the tv is first plugged in, not when the power button is pressed. freezing the ic after the tv is plugged in will not work.
                          Tried this process with no success? The tv still will not turn on, but I am guessing that don't rule out the eeprom? Any idea what else might cause this symptom
                          Last edited by davg; 06-18-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I'm in the process of buying a used mainboard but I am curious about freezing the eeprom chip as described by J_R? How do you read the results? If after freezing the chip and the TV powers on is that an indication that chip is bad? and if it don't power on does it indicate that the chip is not at fault?

Comment

If the tv turns on after freezing the eeprom, the eeprom ic is defective. If the tv does not turn on the eeprom ic could still be defective. This is a trick that is used and sometimes works but not always. IF this trick works, the eeprom can be removed, froze, copied and then program a NEW ic.
                              There could also be a problem with the microprocessor not reading the eeprom or any number of things on the main board that can cause it not to turn the tv on.
                              Freezing the eeprom only works if the data is still ok as the fault with the ic seems to be with reading the data.
                              If the eeprom data is corrupt, no amount of freezig or heating will restore the data.
                              Last edited by R_J; 06-20-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

If the tv turns on after freezing the eeprom, the eeprom ic is defective. If the tv does not turn on the eeprom ic could still be defective. This is a trick that is used and sometimes works but not always. IF this trick works, the eeprom can be removed, froze, copied and then program a NEW ic.
                                There could also be a problem with the microprocessor not reading the eeprom or any number of things on the main board that can cause it not to turn the tv on.
                                Freezing the eeprom only works if the data is still ok as the fault with the ic seems to be with reading the data.
                                If the eeprom data is corrupt, no amount of freezig or heating will restore the data.
                                Tks Pal appreciate the explanation

Comment

Hi guys problem resolved thanks to the expert help on here and on high I replaced the U18 IC and I have a working TV. Just one question; What are the reasons for that Eeprom chip to fail? Shopjimmy has a great video on soldering and de-soldering this IC.
                                  Last edited by davg; 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                  X