This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

This thread has turned into a discussion, so Ill do everyone a favor and go back to dumpsters.. One of my best finds was a Sony Playstation, back when they were still in the stores. It was a complete system but no games. The CD did not turn, and I soon discovered a lot of hairs had gone into the motor shaft..I removed the hairs, and it still works to this day..

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      ^ Have you ever doubled the clock of a CPU? I have. Holy fuck! 600Mhz CPU doing 1.2Ghz! And somehow stable!
      Yessir....well really close anyway. Running a Pentium Classic 166 @ 250/100 rock solid in a super7 board. Ran some celeron 366's @ 550 (abit bp6). Ran a Tillamook 266 @ 400/100 in the same super7 board as the P-166...now what CPU did you doubleclock from 600 to 1.2? I'm warming up the BS flag on that one.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Last week , lot of Free but somehow outdated stuff , but not bad anyway . In our business expect the unexpected . Like that customer , owner of an industrial printer , working on ISA lans exclusively , lol . Well , i sold him two old boards equipped with ISA slots for 100$ . He was more than happy .

- One HP Compaq NX7010 , excellent shape and condition .
        - One HP EvoN1010 , bad shape and condition .
        - One complete Dual core desktop .
        - Three HP Adapters 19v. .
        - Two Nokias (X3 and C3) .
        - One Star Mpeg5 Dvd player 560 .
        - One Sony FH-L400 Mini-Stereo .

Comment

how about a 2.2 pentium d at 4.15?
          granted it made a better space heater than a pc but who cares?
          that part of the shop was always a bit cool in the winter anyway.
          but it was 24/7/365 stable as a general purpose box even folding fulltime.
          i measured 180f air from the exhaust fan over the cpu cooler.

Comment

Not so busy yesterday but managed to buy some reasonable stuff

Maranta CD-65 Special Edition
            JVC RX-501 Stereo Amplifier
            Jamo Cornet 40 IV speakers

All of above £20, CD player works not tested other stuff yet

PS3 Fat - YLOD £7.50 - probably not worth it but had anti tamper sticker still on it so took a punt. Not sure if repairable.

SegaMega Drive 16bit + games and two pads - £15 (again a bit much, on a good day no more than a fiver)

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
              how about a 2.2 pentium d at 4.15?
              granted it made a better space heater than a pc but who cares?
              that part of the shop was always a bit cool in the winter anyway.
              but it was 24/7/365 stable as a general purpose box even folding fulltime.
              i measured 180f air from the exhaust fan over the cpu cooler.
              180F = 82.2C! That's a tad too hot. Are you sure that's correct?

By the way, what Pentium D model was it? If it's one of the models rated for 130 Watt TDP, then yeah, it would make a good space heater. I have one from the 8xx series, and I'm still thinking what heatsink to use on it. 130 Watts TDP with peaks up to 150 Watts is no joke.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              now what CPU did you doubleclock from 600 to 1.2? I'm warming up the BS flag on that one.
              Be careful now. If goontron doesn't reply soon, I think that flag of yours may burn up.

------------

As for dumpster finds, there's a pair of cool Sansui speakers discarded on the curb no too far from my neighborhood right now. If no one takes them by tonight, I'm definitely going. They say we are supposed to have some rain overnight here, and these look way too good to get ruined. I didn't see what model they were, but they are quite vintage, so I think they should be worthwhile. The woofer cone appeared to be either 12" or 15" from the quick look I took at them. Can't wait till tonight to go see. I think tomorrow is trash day on that street, so I have to go before then for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                Last week , lot of Free but somehow outdated stuff , but not bad anyway . In our business expect the unexpected . Like that customer , owner of an industrial printer , working on ISA lans exclusively , lol . Well , i sold him two old boards equipped with ISA slots for 100$ . He was more than happy .
                Oh man, I wish there was a way to save this one Pentium 3 PC back at work. It had an Epox motherboard with socket 370 if I remember correctly and several ISA slots. From what I've heard, anything Pentium 3 or more recent with ISA goes for a lot of money, as they are not easy to come by.

But while I wasn't able to take that computer with me (due to company rules), I was able to stash it away in the shop. If lucky, no one has seen it yet, and maybe if I go work there again, I'll see if I can ask one of the bosses to take it or figure another way. The whole computer itself was too cool to just dump it in the recycle bin - the case itself weight a ton. And the thing even had an HP CD writer in there - one of the first CD-RW drives!

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                - One HP Compaq NX7010 , excellent shape and condition .
                - One HP EvoN1010 , bad shape and condition .
                - One complete Dual core desktop .
                - Three HP Adapters 19v. .
                - Two Nokias (X3 and C3) .
                - One Star Mpeg5 Dvd player 560 .
                - One Sony FH-L400 Mini-Stereo .
                That's not a bad score at all. Those older laptops may not be worth much, but they are pretty dependable as a shop computer to look up schematics or do similar simple work on it. Heck, it's even fine as a media player device.

The Sony mini-stereo system above may be okay, as it is a Sony. But a lot of those "compact" stereo systems from the late 80's up until the late 90's were not so great. I think the term "plastic-fantastic" fits them well. My sister had a Sharp CMS-R4000CDH, and it was a pretty average system. The speakers weren't that bad (properly rated for 10 Watts RMS and 30 Watts peak), but the tape deck was hardly ideal and the CD player was finicky at best.

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                Maranta CD-65 Special Edition
                JVC RX-501 Stereo Amplifier
                Jamo Cornet 40 IV speakers

All of above £20, CD player works not tested other stuff yet
                Not bad. Decent vintage stereo gear is always worthwhile getting or at least playing with for a while.

On that note, I bought a Marantz SD4000 cassette deck on eBay for about $30 shipped to my house (deck was actually $10, IIRC). It needed a few minor repairs, adjustments, and cleaning. But overall it came working. Now you can't find that tape deck or any of its lower and higher-end siblings for less than $40 - and that's for an "AS-IS" condition deck. Working and tested seem to go for more than $100. So looks like I got lucky and made a decent investment with mine. It works beautifully. I think someone was in there before me and replaced the belts, so that's why.

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                PS3 Fat - YLOD £7.50 - probably not worth it but had anti tamper sticker still on it so took a punt. Not sure if repairable.
                Should be. They typically have problems either with the NEC/Tokin caps or the BGA on the GPU, and if you are lucky, sometimes just the thermal paste between the GPU and heat spreader.

I would start by replacing the NEC/Tokin caps, though. At least there is no danger with messing it up with that. And if that doesn't work, then try a reflow.
                Last edited by momaka; 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

2 months ago I found this HP Pro 3130MT, had 3GB of ram originally, and a Pentium G6950 without graphics dedicated.
                  I made a recap to the PSU of LTEC by Rubycon and Nippon chemicon.
                  The motherboard comes with Panasonic, Nichicon FP solid, and nippon chemicon.
                  Why did they throw it? HDD broken, I put a new one and walk.
                  Then expand it to 7GB of RAM, and install a Xeon X3460, has been 60 days on non-stop without any incident, certainly this has been the best computer found.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kevin!; 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM.
                  Gaming pc:
                  nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                  Workshop PC:
                  Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                  Server:

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Oh man, I wish there was a way to save this one Pentium 3 PC back at work. It had an Epox motherboard with socket 370 if I remember correctly and several ISA slots. From what I've heard, anything Pentium 3 or more recent with ISA goes for a lot of money, as they are not easy to come by.

Frankly , I was keeping those boards for Antics , yes , this is a really growing market today Momaka; I'm starting even collecting the old windows licences , removing them carefully from old desktops and laptops with a hair dryer and packing them up like stamps , lol . I have right now like 200 ones .
                    ISA is today a rarity , but this customer , well he played it Emotions , lol , saying he swapped the whole Lebanon for an ISA board , to no avail , so a Pentium 1 board with 5 ISA slots waved goodbye ..

But while I wasn't able to take that computer with me (due to company rules), I was able to stash it away in the shop. If lucky, no one has seen it yet, and maybe if I go work there again, I'll see if I can ask one of the bosses to take it or figure another way. The whole computer itself was too cool to just dump it in the recycle bin - the case itself weight a ton. And the thing even had an HP CD writer in there - one of the first CD-RW drives!
                    If it ain't used , i think they'll be gladly happy to let you ship it . Once a company asked me if i can take some unwanted stuff . The messenger was a tiny girl , which i didn't take seriously , lol , but i ended up with a full pick-up of desktops and printers .

That's not a bad score at all. Those older laptops may not be worth much, but they are pretty dependable as a shop computer to look up schematics or do similar simple work on it. Heck, it's even fine as a media player device.
                    Right now , Anything that can install Win7 64 bits , 2 , 3 or 4 GB of rams , and maybe an SSD if had the lion's teeth , is still worth over 150$ , something very good for a slowing business or a poor customer .
                    There are always collateral damages , lol . The Dual core came with a Wireless card D-LINK and a digital TV , kworld VS.PVR.7133 , 2 x 2 GB ddr2 , So yes , anything in our business is worth something .

The Sony mini-stereo system above may be okay, as it is a Sony. But a lot of those "compact" stereo systems from the late 80's up until the late 90's were not so great. I think the term "plastic-fantastic" fits them well. My sister had a Sharp CMS-R4000CDH, and it was a pretty average system. The speakers weren't that bad (properly rated for 10 Watts RMS and 30 Watts peak), but the tape deck was hardly ideal and the CD player was finicky at best.
                    This Sony was checked open yesterday , and surprisingly , it's equipped with a big chocolate , lol , that's what i call em , the STK4122 II , 30 watts , so yes , it is worth something .
                    Nothing faulty , except as usual , the melting belts , probably left in the sun on some balcony . I fixed them all .
                    What i didn't understand , why Sony is bluffing in this Model , the HF-L400 . A cd button exist on the front panel , but there is no cd , lol .

Comment

I got MORE PS2s this week. One is a silver 50004, version 9. It has the Romeo mod done, along with some alien-origins green modchip made with Macrovision in mind. The laser is dud though, but that's to be expected from a god-knows-how-old HD7 that I swapped in at a point. It came with about 45-46 games, except they were ALL on DVD-Rs or +Rs. I might hunt down a laser and a new chip for it (Modbo 750, I got one cheap and it does wonders).

The other one is a slim 79003a, version 17a (most likely). This one came with the silver and it seems it's modded with a Modbo 760. The only thing it needs though is a new spindle, otherwise the laser is in perfect shape and just the worm motor might need greasing.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Should be. They typically have problems either with the NEC/Tokin caps or the BGA on the GPU, and if you are lucky, sometimes just the thermal paste between the GPU and heat spreader.

I would start by replacing the NEC/Tokin caps, though. At least there is no danger with messing it up with that. And if that doesn't work, then try a reflow.
                        Managed to get the PS3 up and running with a quick bake, how long it last is anyone's guess but is working perfectly as of now. Backwards compatible too just been trying some ps2 games on it.

Watching a YouTube video the other day and guy was saying baking doesn't actually fix the problem with graphics chips as the issue isn't with the solder balls, is that the case? Something about heating flip chip design chips sorts them out for short term.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds - Sansui SP-7500X

As for dumpster finds, there's a pair of cool Sansui speakers discarded on the curb no too far from my neighborhood right now. If no one takes them by tonight, I'm definitely going.
                          Got them!

No one showed up to take them. Not even the rain. But I figured I better save them anyways. After all, they were out on the street all day that day. When I came at mid-night, they were still untouched. There was also a small gas chainsaw. Was contemplating whether I should get that too, but I think there are a lot of other people that will take it. Guess we will see, though, as I might drive by that area again in a few days to check.

Anyways, the Sansui speakers I got are model SP-7500X.
                          I don't think I have ever seen such a good pair of vintage speakers for free before. And holy crap they are heavy! - Each speaker weights a good 22 Kgs / 50 lbs. Sure they are quite dusty and dirty (and I still haven't checked them for pests), but other than that, the veneer of the cabinets is in pretty decent shape. Hardly any scratches or chips, actually. The drivers also seem alright, at least mechanically (no scratching / grinding noises).

That said, I tested one of the speakers after a quick clean up, and it appeared to work fine. However, I was not impressed by the sound at all. I don’t know if that’s because these are vintage speakers or because there is something wrong with them, but I noticed the low-end bass on the speaker I tested is lacking quite a bit. In particular, the speakers sound alright when playing music like regular classic rock or similar. But when it comes to modern electronic music with lots of continuous low-end bass (60 HZ and below), these speakers just loose it completely. No, the woofer is not blown – it is very stiff but does move in and out without scratching or any other bad noises. Its static resistance reads 5.5 Ohms. Perhaps the tone knob on the speakers may have something to do with that, as it’s a bit “touchy” – I have to fiddle with it sometimes to make the mid-range 8” driver work, and sometimes the horn driver goes out too when I do that. So it looks like there may be some dirty contacts in that switch. I guess I will have to completely take these speakers apart and check the components in the passive crossover networks. The other thing I noticed is that I had to crank up my amp quite a bit. Even so, they were still not loud - which is strange, because these speakers are rated for 98 dB/W @ 1m (i.e. overall decently efficient). So there may be something going on.

With all that said, does anyone have a pair of the same or similar Sansui speakers to give me an idea of how they are supposed to sound?
                          If it turns out these speakers are meant to play like this, then I think I’m going to sell or flip them (or even give away). I like my music with low-end bass, so these speakers are not good for me as-is. Not to mention I have no place to put them (currently sitting in the garage and blocking a few shelves).
                          Last edited by momaka; 09-13-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

At work, I did the same with many of the recycle machines: had one specifically for testing DDR3 RAM, another for testing PSUs, one for testing video cards... and finally one with test images for testing TVs and monitors.
                            Testing SIMMs/DIMMs (even PCI cards) in a surplus commercial machine is foolhardy. Most sockets (e.g., DIMM sockets) are rated for a very low number of insertion cycles -- like 5 to 25! If it's a consumer class machine, figure on the lower of those limits.

E.g., a datasheet, chosen at random:
                            <http://www.literature.molex.com/SQLImages/kelmscott/Molex/PDF_Images/987650-7881.PDF>

Of course, you may get many more cycles than the design accommodates. But, you also might find yourself with "dubious test results" that you can't reliably (and repeatably) attribute to the DUT -- or the test rig itself.

[Same sort of thing applies to overclocking]

Comment

iPhone 6s -- cuz friends just can't live without the latest and greatest (and need someplace to "discard" their "antiques").

Guess it will be a 911 phone for the car...

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                Yessir....well really close anyway. Running a Pentium Classic 166 @ 250/100 rock solid in a super7 board. Ran some celeron 366's @ 550 (abit bp6). Ran a Tillamook 266 @ 400/100 in the same super7 board as the P-166...now what CPU did you doubleclock from 600 to 1.2? I'm warming up the BS flag on that one.
                                http://gadgets.ndtv.com/huawei-m865-64

I still have the phone, its unstable at full voltage/stock clock now and the battery is dead.... Along with the network it ran on......

I also no longer have the files to restore it to a non-stock state, which makes me sad.
                                Last edited by goontron; 09-14-2017, 03:09 PM.
                                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I may soon be getting a 1979-1981 Honda CM400T for $150. It may run after a bit of work, but the ownership title has been lost (the title might be replaced if certain legal procedures are followed). I may also use its parts for my other bike (1981 CM400T with 49,000 miles on it).

Asbestos brakes, rotors, carburetors, and exhaust pipes are hard to get for vintage bikes. If the person forgets to contact me I'll see him again in a week or so and I'll mention the bike again.
                                  Last edited by Hondaman; 09-15-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

working on a cm400a for a friend now.
                                    mostly carb problems but needs a tank from the previous owners failed dent removal attempt.
                                    my test showed it will run and drive fine after fixup.
                                    carbs flood on shutdown and needs valve clearance set to get rid of a tick.
                                    its an odd bike to me as i never owned an automatic.
                                    also helping him on restoration of this.
                                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...B92,_C95_Benly
                                    we have gotten it to run for the first time in 40 years.
                                    it needs a lot of tlc.
                                    Originally posted by Hondaman View Post
                                    I may soon be getting a 1979-1981 Honda CM400T for $150. It may run after a bit of work, but the ownership title has been lost (the title might be replaced if certain legal procedures are followed). I may also use its parts for my other bike (1981 CM400T with 49,000 miles on it).

Asbestos brakes, rotors, carburetors, and exhaust pipes are hard to get for vintage bikes. If the person forgets to contact me I'll see him again in a week or so and I'll mention the bike again.
                                    Last edited by kc8adu; 09-16-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

as for free i wound up with a bunch of "tillamook" isa sbc.
                                      whoever the dumbass was that thought putting vrm caps alongside a 1084 linear reg was a good idea should be shot.
                                      every one i have fixed over the years had the green sanyos baked brownish grey.

Comment

Originally posted by jwillifixit View Post
                                        Samsung UN55ES7500 with stand and remote. Not a scratch on it and absolutely nothing wrong with it. I seriously don't know what makes someone wake up one day and say to themselves "I just can't stand that gorgeous, big, smart, 3D 1080p, 240Hz any longer - I'm going to put it in the car and drive it down to the electronics recycling drop off". Owner of this thing has probably been divorced 3 or 4 times I'd guess.

I just wish they'd have brought the Bluetooth active 3D glasses too 'cause I don't have any of those. I only have the passive ones that came with the LG that I bought some years ago.
                                        Awesome find! I have enjoyed this wonderful panel for nearly five years.

Here trying to find answers to what happened to my screen. Panel has a couple vertical bars on two of the columns. Trying to determine if the panel suddenly went bad or if it's a t-con issue. I can't seem to find a comparable issue with two weeks of Google searches. LOL! I think I should have started here at Badcaps. Glad I came across this site!

Comment

welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                          X