Logitech mice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech mice?

Anybody have any experience repairing a wired USB computer mouse?
    Other than throwing it out and buying a new one?

Besides testing the continuity of the USB wire with a multimeter, or replacing it with another cord, is there anything else that can be done, specifically with the circuit board?

Assuming power is getting to the mouse, but nothing is happening (the computer isn't loading the device, nothing appearing, no activity, etc..), how can you tell what's wrong if all the components look brand new? Thanks.
    Last edited by samsonite; 05-15-2018, 07:42 AM.

Re: Logitech mice?

check the crystal / resonator

Comment

I've never had the circuit board in my logitech (or pretty much any) mice die. It's always been the cable.

Comment

cable, or the microswitches bouncing, but he says it's not the cable.
        well the only thing that makes it id to the pc is the microcontroller and the only thing holding that back is the resonator.

a more interesting question is: who cares??
        i get optical mice in the £ store!!

Comment

I initially thought it wasn't the cable many times, but eventually it really was the cable. The other parts just don't break that often. Even the microswitches, well, those are self explanatory as they'd only affect clicking.

Those "£ store" specials tend to have cables that break early, too... Complete junk.

Avoiding wireless mice may or may not be a good idea... batteries just aren't quite there (though the recent logitech wireless mice can actually pass power info to the host so you can get your host to alert of battery condition.)

Comment

The first time the mouse stopped working was when the computer was turned on. I never had a single problem at any other time. If it was a faulty cable, I would expect to see early signs, intermittent activity leading up to total failure. But, it just seems odd the problem always happens at power up. The mouse dies forever after that.

Comment

I don't know but I have a USB IBM mouse that isn't detected either. Yes, I checked the cable. The LED comes on but the USB controller registers nothing. I wanted to replace the IC but it seemed impossible to get. I don't think mine has an external oscillator.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

could still be the cable.
                or the port on the pc - they do wear out.

Comment

I actually have 3 mice of the same brand laying around, in various states of wear. The older ones still work, so I swapped out the cable with the newer "broken" one. The USB cord of this particular brand of Logitech mouse is not soldered to the board, so you can pull it out of its socket with some applied force. But nothing happens plugging it in and out. I think the quality has gone downhill in the last years and the entire batch is just faulty out of the box. This is the 3rd one since the start of this year. It never lasts more than 15-30 days, under normal use. I only put up with it, because of previous use, but maybe it's time to change.

Comment

Now that you say that, I do recall a similar problem with a Logitech USB ball mouse I bought 10+ years ago. It worked a few days, then I started getting the USB device disconnect sounds in Windows, it dropped in and out and finally died completely.

I returned it and received another which did exactly the same thing. Bought an A4 Tech instead which is still working but I think needs new microswitches.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

The weak part of the cable is where it enters the mouse. Cut off about a half inch outside the mouse and half inch inside the mouse, and splice the wires together, should work once more.

Sometimes you can get away with simply pulling the uncut wire a quarter inch or so into the mouse, moving the bad part inside the mouse and hopefully using mechanical pressure to push the broken wire together. It may work a couple more days but eventually stop working again.

Comment

Working...
                      X