Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help for repair Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394

You're welcome and CONGRATS.

Yes, the 6.3mm 470uF 6.3v RGA and NHG are an exact match on ripple, that was a good choice.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

i leave the intention of recapping this boad for a while, but now i need absolutely to recap it. Rubycon MBZ/MCZ are over, ZL/ZLG are low ESR but not motherboard grade. Nichicon HZ seems good, what can i use. for this board at the best, with the best number of hour?

Comment

Originally posted by panegiricus View Post
        ZL/ZLG are low ESR but not motherboard grade.
        Who told you that? -- That isn't the least bit true.
        -
        ZL/ZLG are FULLY 'motherboard grade' caps.
        They are in fact OFTEN used on Server motherboards.

Nichicon HZ seems good, what can i use. for this board at the best, with the best number of hour?
        HZ are usually overkill anywhere except in Vcore and even there they are usually overkill, just not as far over.
        On motherboards overkill usually doesn't hurt anything but after a point it isn't helping anything either.

Not every cap on a motherboard is [or needs to be] the same grade.
        In other words 'motherboard grade' isn't one grade, it's many grades over a range of grades.

ZL is of the grade that is most commonly used.
        They aren't suitable for Vcore since P4 came out but they are appropriate about everywhere else on a modern mobo.
        In the P3 era they were appropriate (and common) even in Vcore.

Maybe this will help. - ALL of these are 'motherboard grade'.
        There are 11 grades shown. They are ALL 'Motherboard Grade'.
        But that don't mean they are all suitable anywhere on a mobo.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=17
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

When it comes right down to it all "Motherboard Grade" means is "Low ESR".
          And there are MANY grades of Low ESR.
          I broke it up into 11 grades.
          Someone else might break it up into 4 or 5 grades and a 3rd tech might end up 15-16 grades.
          Point is 'Motherboard Grade' and 'Low ESR' are very general non-specific terms.
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Generally, I call Ruby ZL or similar "Motherboard grade", and MBZ or MCZ or similar "CPU VRM Grade" It helps with confusion when it comes to caps which can't be used on the VRM, but are OK elsewhere on a motherboard.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Generally, I call Ruby ZL or similar "Motherboard grade", and MBZ or MCZ or similar "CPU VRM Grade" It helps with confusion when it comes to caps which can't be used on the VRM, but are OK elsewhere on a motherboard.
              I did that at first too.

The problem is that only works for a specific range of boards so every time a board comes up that's out of that range people still get confused.
              For example on an old P3 or a board that uses a low power CPU (Pentium-M, Atom) ZL are usually good enough to be used in Vcore.
              [It depends on how -many- caps are used there too.]
              ZL grade are almost always good enough for the high side of the VRM.
              I've seen ZL or KZE (same grade) used in VRM-high on many socket 771 dual CPU Server boards.

Usually it's only the Vcore caps on that -have- be better than the run of the mill mobo cap -has- to be.

What I'm trying to get across..
              There are usually two grades used in "CPU VRM" and they are several grades apart.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Then, what can i choose at the best, for 3300uF between

Nichicon HN/HZ
                Rubycon ZL/ZLG/ZLH/ZLJ
                Panasonic

I find Suncon 6ME3300WX , in the datasheet Sanyo, with a ESR of 0.021 and Ripple of 2.36 A. What can you tell me about?

Comment

Then, what can i choose at the best, for 3300uF between

Nichicon HN/HZ
                  Rubycon ZL/ZLG/ZLH/ZLJ
                  Panasonic

I find Suncon 6ME3300WX , in the datasheet Sanyo, with a ESR of 0.021 and Ripple of 2.36 A. What can you tell me about?
                  I don't think you understand yet.
                  We need more information from you to know what 'best' is.
                  Not all caps on a motherboard have the same job.
                  The grade you need will be different depending on the job it is does.
                  Since you haven't shown or told us were it is on the motherboard no one here knows what job it does.
                  The other way to figure out what you need is to look up the specs for the old cap but you haven't told us what the old cap is either.
                  We would need brand/series/uF/volts/diameter[in mm] to look it up in a data sheet.
                  Sometimes the length is needed too.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Ok PCBONEZ.

this motherboard have

4x 3300uF 6.3v Nichicon HM
                    3x 1500uF 6.3v Nichicon HM
                    2x 1200uF 6.3v Nichicon HM
                    10x 1000uF 6.3V Rubycon MBZ

This board would be used as ide hd recovery station, as before the atx plug melt.
                    I only want to be shure to put the right caps in each point.

Comment

Okay.

Unless this is an old Pentium-III era board there should be at least 3 or 4 16v caps.

If your ATX plug melted there is probably a problem more serious than caps.
                      I would inspect for bad MOSFETs or other components that look burned or cracked.
                      A fully-shorted cap could possibly do that too if it is connected straight to one of the rails.

Those are 'good brand' caps [unless the HM have date codes from 2001-2004.]
                      It's unusual for them to go bad.
                      Probably not a problem. But I can't say that for sure.

You didn't give diameter so check that is okay on you own before you order anything.
                      MBZ and HM are the same grade.
                      -
                      All these are equivalent good brand caps - if the can size is close to the same.
                      Sanyo/Suncon WG
                      Rubycon MBZ
                      Nichicon HM [don't use if dated 2001-2004]
                      Panasonic FJ
                      Samxon GD
                      Nic Components NRSK, NRSJ

These are one grade better
                      Rubycon MCZ
                      Nichicon HN
                      Samxon GC
                      -
                      These are two grades better but over-kill.
                      [I would either not use these or only use them right next to the CPU - Vcore caps.]
                      Nichicon HZ
                      Samxon GA

Considering the melting issue some good photos would be a grand idea.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X