Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp Aquos LC-70C6600U UNBELEIVABLE SCORE!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos LC-70C6600U UNBELEIVABLE SCORE!!!!!!!!!!

Today I got a call from a guy with this TV claiming the main board was bad. I paid $40.00 for it.

Got it back to the house, took the back off and found the ribbon cable unhooked from the t-con at the main board. I hooked it back up and started checking voltages. The power supply was fully functional but I found no power from the main to the t-con. I tried heating the main board with no change in status.

The backlights would flash and I could see there was something on the screen. With repeated on-off and looking at the screen I was beginning to believe the display was bad. I saw horizontal lines on the screen and parts of the display appeared not to be working.

I was getting ready to re-install the back cover when I thought to try disconnecting the ribbon cables from the t-con to the buffers. I unplugged the left connector and the right side of the screen came up with the "Sharp" logo and looked good.

So I plugged it back in, re-connected the left cable, unplugged the right one and the left side of the screen came up and looked good.

The truth, I was a bit stumped. I couldn't believe each side only worked with the opposite side unhooked.....and then it hit me....has to be a bad connection, right? So I plugged the right cable back in, hit the power button, the TV came on, stayed on and now IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

Either the guy forgot to hook the LVDS back up....or thought the panel was bad and left it unhooked so no one could see the screen flash and the appearance of a bad panel.

I must now go clean the hash marks outta my shorts! I don't believe it, I just don't believe it!!! This is WAY WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!! After I get a change of underwear I'm going to unhook the t-con to buffer cables and clean all the connections just to be thorough.
    Attached Files
    They call me......."threadkiller"

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-70C6600U UNBELEIVABLE SCORE!!!!!!!!!!

Nice

Comment

Thanks, it's running in my living room right now! I feel just luckier than a two-peckered dog!

Comment

Nice score but how do you transport this tv from the owner to your house? It would probably not fit in a regular car haha. Unless you bend it ......70 inch curved sharp!
        I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

lol, I took the stand off of it and layed it down on it's back in my 4Runner.

Now if I could just get a curved Sharp TV for $40.00...............

Comment

I have a similar story from this weekend. I paid $200 for a KD70x690e 4k tv the owner said booted up sometimes to a blue screen but that was it. When I went to see it the backlight was strobing just better than once a second. Took a chance and dragged it home.

Removed the back and reseated a few cables. No more strobing just a "tick tick tick" from the tcon. When I removed the right side ribbon the left side came up and the set was functional. Doing the same procedure for the other ribbon only made the tcon tick again.

For a smaller set I may have been satisfied with a bad panel or at least the feeling pressing on would not be worth the effort. But this was a 70" Sony 4k so I thought maybe I would be rewarded by finding a shorted mlcc on the driver board. (the drivers are protected by a steel plate that runs the length of the tv and it wasn't clear to me how to remove it but I got it eventually )

There are two driver boards per side, connected with a FFC between them. On the bad side the cable was askew at the connector. Flipping the latch and reinserting it properly brought the bad side back to life.

I too am enjoying said tv on my wall.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mmartell; 04-30-2018, 03:46 AM. Reason: Added some pics

Comment

That's some great luck, with that kind of luck you guys should play the lottery. haven't gotten a cheap one yet that didn't at least need a new cap.
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-30-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Good job guys! My 70 inch XBR was quite involved with failed caps on the source boards and tcon failures but in the end it's up on my wall!
                Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  with that kind of luck you guys should play the lottery.
                  Hmmmmm.....found a penny while out and about today

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                  Good job guys! My 70 inch XBR was quite involved with failed caps on the source boards and tcon failures but in the end it's up on my wall!
                  Hey Freakaftr8 hows it going? That's a great place for any 70" TV....fixed and on your wall! Spectacular entertainment value!

Comment

So I got up this morning, went to turn on the Aquos, the backlights flash and no picture. I tried a hard reset, tried to bypass the error by holding input and volume down while plugging it in and no taco. I did see the backlights flash briefly then a bar about 5 inches tall flash across the bottom of the screen but no backlights behind it.

So I took the back off and pulled the ribbon cable from the t-con responsible for the last fault, fired it up and bingo...half a Sharp logo, so I re-installed the right ribbon cable to the t-con.....and the picture has returned.

It looks like this TV does have a problem, I just hope it isn't a bad panel that occasionally throws a monkey in to the wrench. I'm also glad I didn't sell this one....I'd sure hate for someone to get one of my TV 's and it come up lame!

Either way I'm super stoked up that the picture is back!

Comment

I may be the LUCKIEST person on the planet......

Today I picked up a Sharp LC-70LE660U with a smashed screen. If you didn't know, every single board in this TV is an EXACT MATCH for my 6600! Better yet it still turns on and the backlights are working!

As soon as I got to the shop I stripped and dismantled the 660. The main chassis is now in the scrap bin. I kept every single piece out of it.

About 30 minutes later I confirmed the problem still exists with my 6600. Turn it on, backlights flash, no picture. I swapped the 6600 main board with the 660's, turn it on, backlights flash, no picture, problem still exists so I removed the ribbon cable from the right side of the T-CON, powered it up to clear the error, power off, re-connect the ribbon cable, power back on and the Sharp logo comes up...but it's stuck in "boot loop", logo, black screen, logo, lather rinse repeat. Looks like the 660 main board needs an EEPROM?

Once I re-installed the original main board and re-set the error like above I installed the t-con from the 660 in to the 6600 and confirmed it works! I used the TV for about 30 minutes and shut it off. The plan is to wait several hours and see if it will turn on.

While we're waiting I was wondering if anyone knows which chip on the main board is the EEPROM on this model?
                      Last edited by DXseekerMO; 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Refused to turn on this morning. Replaced flat cable on the right side of the T-CON after cleaning the connections on the right buffer board. Turned it on and the screen started to go scrambled but straightened out after a few minutes. I think there may have still been some liquid alcohol in there, but once again we will see.

It's looking more and more like a bad panel. I hate to say it.

Comment

How's this going for you?

Comment

It's been sitting since shortly after this post.

Comment

Yeah I made a post about mine

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72157

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                I have a similar story from this weekend. I paid $200 for a KD70x690e 4k tv the owner said booted up sometimes to a blue screen but that was it. When I went to see it the backlight was strobing just better than once a second. Took a chance and dragged it home.

Removed the back and reseated a few cables. No more strobing just a "tick tick tick" from the tcon. When I removed the right side ribbon the left side came up and the set was functional. Doing the same procedure for the other ribbon only made the tcon tick again.

For a smaller set I may have been satisfied with a bad panel or at least the feeling pressing on would not be worth the effort. But this was a 70" Sony 4k so I thought maybe I would be rewarded by finding a shorted mlcc on the driver board. (the drivers are protected by a steel plate that runs the length of the tv and it wasn't clear to me how to remove it but I got it eventually )

There are two driver boards per side, connected with a FFC between them. On the bad side the cable was askew at the connector. Flipping the latch and reinserting it properly brought the bad side back to life.

I too am enjoying said tv on my wall.
                                My sister, briefly had the 60-inch version, the KD-60X690E, which reportedly stopped turning on:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71916
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-30-2018, 10:51 AM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
                                  Refused to turn on this morning. Replaced flat cable on the right side of the T-CON after cleaning the connections on the right buffer board. Turned it on and the screen started to go scrambled but straightened out after a few minutes. I think there may have still been some liquid alcohol in there, but once again we will see.

It's looking more and more like a bad panel. I hate to say it.
                                  Hey man...

I think I have fixed my issue...? Not certain lol... My panel had a vertical line showing on the screen regardless of which side tcon was plugged in... but had a horizontal line which only appeared when one side was connected... This told me there was an issue with the cof tab in line with the horizontal error... when inspecting the cof it was notably hot and looked rough so i took the plunge given my already confirmed broken panel (vertical line)... and puleld the tab off the screen. Success! line was gone! but it was now darker on rest of the side, so removed all remaining tabs on that side and it works!... Turned it on and off numerous times last night and again this morning. Will monitor... Planning to sell this off if I can. Not sure if this will fix anything on your set however. My set still locks up when pressing netflix button(?). But otherwise seems to function as expected.

Comment

I hope if you are selling you set, that you inform the buyer that the set had a failure and the workaround has been to "modify" the panel connection and it is not operating at "full design" but can work in this manner for an unspecified period before complete failure.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                      I hope if you are selling you set, that you inform the buyer that the set had a failure and the workaround has been to "modify" the panel connection and it is not operating at "full design" but can work in this manner for an unspecified period before complete failure.
                                      Yes indeed

I'll probably just sell it for what I bought it for... Have to see if it actually stays working first. This TV is only good for a garage or man-cave now it seems unfortunately. It will be sold as a faulty panel set however

Comment

the set that I did this "removal method" is over three years old so they do last in this mode. Too bad about the vertical line as that's not recoverable. Anyways, a 99% set working in a "cave" is better than one headed to the dump.

Comment

Working...
                                        X