Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiped critical info from bios HELP!!

O.k here's what happened...
    Knowing that Microsoft will no longer be supporting windows 7 next year I wanted to duel boot my laptop running win10 & Linux mint.
    I installed win10 but wasn't happy with the install so went ahead for a reinstall, somewhere along the way I accidentally wiped a partion which must have held BIOS info like s/n, p/n, uuid, etc.
    Now when I boot it tells me it's in a non commited state, I tried to rebuild the partition via cmd & no luck, I realise that it needs rebranding & I have HP DMI software But to make matters worse there is no physical info on the laptop such as serial no, model no etc.
    I'm at a dead end and dont want to make matters worse by attempting things that are going to dig my hole deeper so have turned to the forums, I consider myself a basic user this is my first ever post and Im out of my depth.

The install was a UEFI Win10 on GPT formatted partition from usb.
    My laptop is an old but stable HP Elitebook 8540p.
    i5
    2.53GHz
    8 GB ram
    BIOS Revision 68CVD Ver. F.60
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Wiped critical info from bios HELP!!

The BIOS shouldn't be on the hard drive! We're not talking about 1980s or some 1990s systems, where you can't get into the BIOS without a drive, by hitting a key.

Reminds me of an old system I had on two different occasions, where to access the BIOS, you had to have a floppy disk, (or a hard drive) because that's where the setup utility was, if not also written to certain hard disk drive sectors.

Even on newfangled BIOS systems, (a.k.a. UEFI) you are usually only going to end up in shit creek, when you can't disable "Secure Boot".
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-15-2019, 09:03 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Sounds like you nuked the bootloader.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Is secure boot enabled or disabled ?

Comment

UEFI stores some shit on a hidden partition, but it's not critical - wipe the drive clean and go into the bios and check it's settings.

Comment

"there is no physical info on the laptop such as serial no, model no etc."

It should be on a sticker on the base or inside the battery compartment.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
            X