Samsung PN50A510 P3FXZA Plasma Cycling On/Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN50A510 P3FXZA Plasma Cycling On/Off

I sent the board back to ModusLink, and they turned it around really quick, I have not received it back yet but they tell me they replaced C102 which is a 10V 47uF Tantalum Capacitor on the bottom of the board.
    Attached Files

Comment

How much did they charge for that? That would take me about 5 minutes.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well I bought the board from them after having the cycling problem, and the new one started doing the same thing when turning on from cold. So I sent it back for repair, we thought it may be the RAM chip.

I will put it in tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Installed the repaired replacement main board and TV is working normally for now, will test for a few days.

Since both boards had similar symptoms I ordered one of these caps for the old main board to see if anything changes.

Comment

Well this is interesting to me..

The new/repaired main board from ModusLink appears to working good so far, I will still test for a few more days.

So I ordered the new cap that they replaced on their board just to see what would happen on my old board, put the board in and the TV came right on.

I tested both caps with an ESR meter, and the difference was 0.00 ohms compared to 0.02 ohms on the old cap. Capacitance was fine on both, so I would have thought that cap was good.

Lets see how both boards hold up for the next few days.

The part I used for C102 on main board BN94-01880E is:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0CT-ND/4146673

Worth reiterating I bought the board from ModusLink for the first time, and it started to give problems after a couple of days. I sent it back for repair at no charge and it was turned around within 1 day of receipt. It seems to be OK now, and they also told the location of the part they replaced. I ordered and replaced that part on my old board which seemed so far to fix that board.

Testing for the next few days will tell for sure, but glad I dealt with these guys, and didn't buy the board on ebay this time.

Board was about $110 and at the time I think there was ONE on ebay for more $ but wouldn't have gotten this info and no boards available now.
            Last edited by kevinm34232; 11-06-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a good company to deal with. It's a shame we don't have companies like that around here. 90% don't even test their boards.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yea but even more exciting is finding what is wrong with these main boards and possibly many other Samsung main boards that are extremely hard to find.

Comment

Indeed, I had always thought it was those RAM chips, but if it's just that cap then I might pick up a few... have avoided them in the past due to difficulty with getting boards and I don't want to just try reflowing them...

Comment

This thread was exactly what i was looking for. My tv is doing the same thing. Rebuilt the power supply, and still the same symptoms. I'm going to try replacing that c102 and see if that fixes it. Did you ever notice prior to the repair that digital channels wouldn't come in well?
                    You Can't Succeed Until You're Willing to Fail

Comment

Giving a go on trying to fix a TV with the same symptoms as original poster.
                      The replacement cap has a polarity marked as a " + " sign on one end, the
                      original cap has a " bar " marking on one end. My question is, which end is
                      positive " + " on the old cap?

Never mind, Google is your friend!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by cliff_hootarski; 01-22-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Installed cap and TV seems to be fixed. More testing to follow!
                        Will update if and when I feel the TV is fixed!

Comment

Wow looks like a fix that needs to be noted!
                          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Starts up normally every time I have tried it. I am going to say this one is fixed.
                            $1.39 part at Digi-key!
                            Last edited by cliff_hootarski; 01-25-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I have a set, a 42B450 that I'm pretty sure has that same 1880 board....

Its symptoms are, PSU and panel running, but no display, no sound, for all intents and purposes, the set appears dead.

Test-patterns display fine, and all voltages present. Going to check that C102, see whats going on....
                              May get lucky with this one, will let you know....

I haven't any tant SM caps, but will tack in a Os-Con instead, got quite a few of those....
                              TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                              http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                              PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I have the same Samsung Plasma TV problem! I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL! I would like to ask what the part number is to the board in question so I can order it (est. $110) and is there a you tube or video description of what it looks like and how to replace this. The TV works great but the cycle off and on is a pain and it is getting more and more frequent and longer to stabilize. Getting a TV repair person to the house is not an option due to location and availability of technicians.
                                I am however savvy enough to do most of my own repairs given good instruction.
                                I WOULD HATE TO THROW OUT THIS TV BECAUSE OF A MINOR REPLACEMENT PART.
                                ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Comment

Replacing the C102 tantalum capacitor worked for me as well on my clicking Samsung Plasma PN50A550. This was a great post, appreciate those sharing their knowledge.

Comment

Yep I've also fixed 5 or 6 main boards for others with the same problem. Not sure if there is a different test for this type of cap but it seemed to test good with an ESR meter even though it was bad.

Comment

I've had the same symptom with my PN50A550. I've tried reflowing twice with success for about a week then back to the powering off and on with screeching.
                                      I would like to try the capacitor fix.
                                      My question is: Would a radial tantalum capacitor ie: ITT Cannon TAP47M10 work as a alternative?
                                      Thx
                                      Steve

Comment

I'd give it a try. The smd cap has the same specs as that one.

Comment

Well, I tried a radial type capacitor 47uF 16Volt. It was a little tricky to solder. I put silicone sealant under the cap as it was HUGE compared to the original and I didnt want it to move.
                                          It turned on first try. HDMI and cable both work properly
                                          I will follow up in a week if it stays stable.

Comment

Working...
                                          X