Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Originally posted by kevlar51 View Post
    Well this is a pleasant surprise. The streaks and spots have gone away. There's some minor vertical banding but it's much less distracting.

Thank you compensation cycle! You seem to do the trick every time!
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

just to contribute to the thread that helped a lot in my situation, I could like to clarify that power-only works only if you connect one pin of the leds to ground and the other to signal.That is because it is a mono file, not stereo. At least that is how it worked for me.
      Thanks!

Comment

Good to hear!

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit lucky, I purchased a 55EG9200 set that was non working. Panel seemed ok without cracks so I bought it as a project and for 100$CAD even if it was not repairable it was not a huge loss.

TV was refusing to power on. Main board did not send the commands to the power supply to turn on.

I do not have the remote so I downloaded anymote app and with the LG remote on the app the POWER ON button (POWER ONLY command i think) the set came on and seems to be working fine. It's stuck on HDMI1 and if I plug in my PC it displays fine.

However the TV is unresponsive to the other remote functions, unable to turn off the set or change inputs. Even the front button does nothing.

Any clue what is the issue?

Comment

Nevermind after 15-20 minutes the TV turned off by itself and after that the physical button and the remote works!

Comment

Wow score!! Wonder if it was a firmware download gone wrong and it needed the power on command to finish??

Comment

Hey guys. New here, but have been a long time reader. Not sure if I should create a new thread on this, or revive an old one. Probably going to revive, as this thread has helped me a bit already. I am in a similar position that OP was. I got this LG OLED55C6P-U TV on craigslist for cheap as not working. Seller stated that after a lighting strike during a storm (which we have been having lately in TX) it stopped working.. An hour later. Which tells me it probably wasn't lightning damage if it worked for a little while after (I could be wrong).

Once I took off the back cover, I found some sticky red stuff that looked like maybe one of his kids spilled some kind of drink on it, and the stuff went into the vent on the rear cover. Some drops of it were on the tcon board under the heat sink, and on the far right side cable going from the tcon down to the driver board on the display, it just dripped down. It even got in the connectors. I cleaned it all off with rubbing alcohol and q-tips thoroughly, and reassembled everything. I also did not see any sign of damage on the main board or power board either, no bad caps or burn marks on anything, at least no visible damage.

Nothing changed, same issue. If I disconnect the bottom LVDS (I think) cable going from the tcon to the main board, then it powers up and stays powered up, but of course the screen is blank. With everything plugged in correctly, it just powers up, flashes the vertical lines in the center, and shuts off. I also tried the POWER_ONLY service remote wav file trick, which does the same thing as just powering the tv on regularly, so no change there.

I am tempted to buy a tcon board off ebay, but I feel that there is more that I could do first to rule out the possibility of a bad main board, or.. a bad panel. No cracks, but I am learning that OLED panels don't have to be cracked to fail. I would hate to throw money at just different boards in a shotgun approach hoping one of them fixes it.

I am definitely just a hobbyist, with no real special training, although I have repaired quite a few TVs over the years from craigslist buys, never have I delved into an OLED until now. I will post a video up of exactly what it is doing. Maybe someone has an idea of what direction I should go in. Here's to hoping it isn't the panel. Also, apologies if I should have created a new thread instead. And thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljquuu74Vag

Comment

I think you've done the step longer than the leg as we say here, you maybe better to stay on a better known device like lcd, when i buy a tv with an unknown fault i try to study it before to buy, infact a water damage is not exactly the best situation to deal with..

Comment

Yeah, I am inclined to agree with you. I was unaware of the possibility of water damage until I got home and opened it up unfortunately. But, that is the gamble I took lol, couldn't help myself.

I did notice that I am getting zero volts at all the 12 and 24v outputs on the power board, but I am getting 3.5v at all of the standby pins, not sure if the 12 and 24v pins are hot when the set is off like the 3.5v ones are. I am grasping for straws at this point probably.

Comment

Well update: I was definitely grasping for straws lol. Guess it helps to test it first before posting about it. Yes when the set is powered on, the 12 and 24v pins do in fact show correct voltage, so much for hoping that would be a problem lol.

Comment

I think that is the panel. Since liquid dripped down around t-con you will want to check the ribbons on the panel have not been damaged. Clue here is that the whole panel lightly glows except for around that white bar, looks to me like a faulty/failed driver.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

i guess the service manual if exists it's whithout schematics like nowadays trend..
                          if i remember the model of Freak is different than yours, so to be more right, open a new thread and post a "TCON" picture (shiny) with also its code number, someone that search for Freak's model don't have to read your things..

Comment

Reviving a pretty old thread (not sure if I should start a new one or not) as I am having a super similar issue. Repairing TVs is more of a swap and replace boards kind of hobby for me, but would like to figure out why this one is broken. Its the exact same model 55EG9600 OLED that I rescued from electronics recycling. Brought the TV home and plugged it in - immediately powered up and the LG symbol bounced around for a bit. About 10 minutes after this, tv started rebooting. Powered it down and back up a few times and eventually got to the lockout. The only thing is that the Power_Only command isnt resetting anything. IR board is still receiving signals (universal remote cycles power). When power is turned on, LG Light on IR board lights up and flashes 3 times, then nothing. No panel glow or anything. The optical port on the main board is lit and theres power to the USB ports. Am also getting 3.5v all over the main board. There is a slight hum comming from the tcon. I am wondering how you manipulated the panel on and if you could tell or show me which pins I need to jump to get that signal out. Im not an electrical engineer by any means, but am interested in learning, so any help is appreciated!

Also - the thread you guys have put together here is super helpful - thanks for taking the time to post everything you guys do!
                            Last edited by jimanez11; 03-13-2019, 06:53 PM. Reason: To see if I need to open a new thread

Comment

Looks like the TCon is receiving the correct power from its 12v rail, but the 24v is only putting out about 0.75v, which doesnt seem right, but not sure if that rail is energized by the min board further in to the boot sequence. Even when I have the main board completely disconnected and jump pwr-on to 3.5 and drv-on to 12v-on there is absolutely no activity on the panel at all. Would this potentially be a bad panel?

Comment

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the super helpful information!

I purchased 2 55 OLEDs for $300AUD and now have one functional.

Just one question, when I replaced the main board in the 55EC9300 (Chinese) which had the good panel, I thought I would do the T-Con board (largely different heatsinks and chips by the looks) at the same time, both these boards come from a different model - 55EC930T (Australian).

The panel would fire 3 times then lock out.

After replacing the T-Con back to the original and unlocking all is well.

So, I suppose my question is are the T-Con's somehow tied to the panel or is it purely the difference in T-Con's?

Sorry for bumping an old thread, can't create new post yet!

Thanks

Comment

Hello. I just picked up a LG 65EG9600 For $50 Bucks. It cam with the remote. The guy selling said it doesn't get power. At $50 bucks I felt it was worth the risk. Got it home plugged it up and pressed the button under the LG sign and it powered on but would cut right off. So I decided to try with the remote. I press power and the LG logo lights up and begins to blink. It just blinks and nothing more. So I wanted to see what you guys would start with. Is there some type of reset or what. It's getting power but I have now clue what else to do.

Comment

I have spent hours working on LG 55ec930 and found that once this set goes into protection mode which I can get the set out of protection mode on the main board. 99% is the t-con board. Do not buy a second hand one and replace. You need to buy a new one, and no more problems. Once you install the new t-con panel just leave the set on the bench on in tv mode watching free to air channel, for 4 hours with out using the remote, and the set will shut down. Do not switch back on for an hour, it corrects the burn in on screen and finally gives the set a complete reset.
                                    Remember don’t waist time messing with original t-con like I did. Buy a new one.
                                    My set is running beautiful now.
                                    Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                      Ok. Are you currently at the no power condition lockout? LG emblem dim lit. Remote power button causes flashing LG emblem. Power on tv does nothing.

You should not have to do anything except for get yourself out of power only mode.
                                      Hello. I have done this and still get the same outcome. The tv logo will only blink but will not power on. I found a t-con board and plan on trying it out to see what we got next.

Comment

The tv is in protection mode. You need to get it out of protection mode.

Comment

On the main board hold down the switch SW201 and keep it down and use the tv remote to power tv on. You will hear the power relay click, make sure you hear it click three times. Then let go of sw201 and you will notice the LG logo light will go off. Then press power on remote and logo will light up again. Then you are out of lockout. Press power on remote again and tv will come on.
                                          Please let me know how you get on.
                                          Hope this helps you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X