'04 CRT trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'04 CRT trouble

i would suspect the infrared detector circuit in the tv. try disabling it c if it stops turning on off. cheers and good luck friend

'04 CRT trouble

Found this by the side of the road. It works, but often starts turning itself off, then on, then off, then on, then off, then on.... etc. etc. Also remote doesn't work. Any ideas?

Chassis has crapcaps.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: '04 CRT trouble

It doesn't make clicking sounds like a faulty flyback does it?
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Nope, definitely not the flyback.

I actually left it outside dissasembled for two days and was planning to throw it away tonight, but when I got home I found it playing nicely in the kitchen! Turns out my dad went through and dusted the chassis then put it back together and it's been on for about 4 hours without turning off. He thinks maybe some setting in the microprocessor was corrupted and letting it sit unplugged for a while cleared the memory, just like our old Sanyo would do sometimes (it would start flipping channels on its own). That could be possible, or maybe marginal crapcaps, or I was thinking maybe a dirty relay. Whatever the case, it's a nice TV and we're keeping it. If it starts acting up again I will clean the relay and start testing caps.

EDIT: Also, the remote worked the whole time. I noticed it was only the volume buttons that wouldn't work, and this was before it fixed itself, but I forgot to come back here and edit my post. My dad took the remote apart and cleaned that too and now all the buttons work.
        Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Check the board carefully with a magnifier it probably has a cracked solder joint somewhere.

I have saved plenty of TVs from the dumpster because of this.

On I recently saved a Sharp and a nice 27" Panasonic they were on through hole parts one on the Sharp was on a reset IC (in a small transistor TO package) for the microcontroller and the other was on an NPN transistor on the Panasonic.

Giving the TV the whack test or poking the board with a wood dowel will confirm when it decides to act up.

Have fun I know I would be .
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Well it started up again today.

Not surprising in the least.

I will definitely smack it when it starts shutting off to see if it's a solder joint or not. Also do you guys think a screwed up relay is a possibility here? Is there any way to clean them?

Comment

Oops, I meant started ACTING up again today. Editing time limit has passed.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                Found this by the side of the road. It works, but often starts turning itself off, then on, then off, then on, then off, then on.... etc. etc. Also remote doesn't work. Any ideas?

Chassis has crapcaps.
                No Sams Photofact for that model.

Resolder a bunch of joints? That recently did the trick for my old Sanyo, which had intermittently showed snow when the RF input was used, and it hadn't responded to inertial repair attempts, i.e., whacking the cabinet, even though that always made the picture flicker. But even that flicker disappeared after I resoldered, and now I'll be able to enjoy analog TV channels for many more years, right?

Actually the TV had been bad for several months, but I didn't get to it until the vertical output started to act up recently and made the picture shake badly during the first 30 minutes and remain stretched and with bad interlace. Replacing three Jamicon capacitors in the vertical circuit that measured 3-50 times the normal ESR made the TV normal again. Oddly none of the Jamicon capacitors in the horizontal circuit showed high ESR.

Comment

Working...
                X