Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another stupid polymer question (can going REALLY high ripple be bad?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: another stupid polymer question (can going REALLY high ripple be bad?)

I've almost never had an issue getting x86 apps working in the hybrid environment except for really old ones.

I've been playing fo:nv again with very few issues all dlcs and several mods. Fo3 did have crashing problems but it always has for me

I think what happened after the release of vista and it's hybrid is they made software not exclusively 64-bit, but made x86 compatible software for the hybrid environment. So it works in the x86/64 environment as well as the plain x86, and they didn't have to make two versions

But that was then, x86 is being phased out, and will go the way of 16-bit dos not too long from now

Of course, like with my customer who builds qbasic programs, there is always dosbox, or some other solution
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Re: another stupid polymer question (can going REALLY high ripple be bad?)

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      But that was then, x86 is being phased out, and will go the way of 16-bit dos not too long from now
      Unlikely.

There are still too many companies that run older browsers and apps. Also one of the reasons why FF ESR exists. And even when 32-bit software "dies", it would be just the browsers.

Most websites don't actually have anything that cares whether your PC is 64-bit or 32-bit, aside from a few that use specific security protocols. That said, unfortunately many sites now do check what browser version you use (and sometimes OS version too). If they don't like it, they may not display (or like the majority, give you annoying nagging messages and disable site features, even if your PC is perfectly capable of running everything). I had a medical patient portal tell me recently that I can't access if because Windows XP machines are not allowed to connect to the site, even though my browsers was fairly up to date and I've used this portal about 6 months prior without issue. I went onto a Windows 7 PC with the same 32-bit browser versions as the one on my XP machine, and everything worked fine. But unfortunately, most people hear "Windows XP" or "outdated OS" and they panic, thinking it's not secure only because it's old. The fact is that NO OS is secure, and it's up to the user to exercise caution and be aware of what's running on their PC to keep it secure.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      Of course, like with my customer who builds qbasic programs, there is always dosbox, or some other solution
      DosBox is not a solution. It's a wimpy workaround. It does work, but not for everything. If you're into that old stuff, then at the end of the day, you just get an old system and use that instead.
      Last edited by momaka; 07-16-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X