Mirtone MA-401B Intercom Amplifier - repair/recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirtone MA-401B Intercom Amplifier - repair/recap

Mirtone MA-401B apartment intercom amplifer that would squeal/yelp/chirp when you pressed the Listen button. Now it just oscillates a steady tone when you press Listen and you can't hear anyone from the vestibule.

Date code 1980 with 10 mostly Marcon electrolytics and 13 discrete transistors and a triac for the door solenoid. It has a 7812 for +12VDC power and 16VAC input. I found one open 22uF cap but replaced all of them, it is running 40 years 24/7.
    Capacitor list:
    1 of 470uF 35V
    3 of 47uF 16V
    1 of 22uF 16V
    4 of 10uF 35V
    1 of 0.47uF 50V

If you have hum problems, "T2" is earth/chassis ground so you need an extra wire for that. "S2" is also shield GND for vestibule mic/speaker.
    There is still some hum but they used the wrong wire (not twisted pair or shielded) in the building.

Mirtone company was renamed to Mircom, and the MA-485 is the 2nd generation replacement module.
    Attached Files

Re: Mirtone MA-401B Intercom Amplifier - repair/recap

Nice repair redwire. Here in the sticks I haven’t seen many of these, but I remember that they always had a little hum.

Comment

Re: Mirtone MA-401B Intercom Amplifier - repair/recap

This uses a 4-wire system so all stations are in parallel, cable just daisy-chained (3 of the 4 wires) through an entire building.
      I've repaired many apartment/condo intercoms and it's terrible when a suite has a stuck button (open door, listen, talk) you have to go to each unit to find it. Try that in a 30-suite building, tenants aren't home or you don't have permission to enter. Only the front vestibule Call button is a separate wire to each suite.

One building had a guy do reno's and a nail hit the cable, the door solenoid was randomly going on and off. I disabled it and then the Post Office guy couldn't get in to deliver the mail. Took a month to find that nail.

Including my other schematics for completeness. Mircom IS-401 station wiring, uses oddball speaker 07420043 15 ohms 1W I think 3" just use a 16 ohm part. The vestibule is a 45 ohm speaker though.
      Mircom/Mirtone looks like a Canadian company.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X