Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel 865PERL MB Needs recapping

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
    Fairchild doesn't make capacitors. Reusing old capacitors is less than ideal as they can reform to whatever voltage circuit they are on.
    Just wild guess. What's the F between two lines, Fujitsu?

As far as changing to polymer - what were the originals and what did you replace them with?
    Guess what? Nichicon HN?

Samxon RS is not a good replacement for KZG. The specifications for RS are inferior to those of KZG. For KZG replacements, you need Samxon GD or better.
    Oh, mistake, I used GC, don't know how RS came to my minddoped:

What memory are you running, what is the FSB speed of the Celeron? IIRC, the 865 boards have restrictions as to what memory speed/FSB combinations will work.
    All of the 1,7 GHz had 100 MHz FS only, no? It did not beep even with no memory so definitelly not a problem here, whaddaya say:-)

Uranium-235: better than starting new thread on the same topic, don't you think?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

F with a line above and below is Fujitsu (now Nichicon)

pop a P4 Northwood in there and call it a deal.
      celeron's aren't worth shit. and for a prescott you would need a really good cooler.. (plus, the performance per MHz is lower on prescotts compared to northwoods.. not by much but the P4's aren't powerful to begin with lol)

Comment

Yeah I just wanted to try the MoBo whether it works which the Celeron should be enough for. But as I said, it neither posted nor beeped.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          Getting an old P4 board: $0
          Capping it with some used polys: $0
          Two Saxmon Caps: $2
          Resurrecting a 5 year old dead thread: Pricessless
          Having another n00b (me) post on it again after a month: -$???

Did you get this board working? These boards are pretty indestructible, unless you happened to get an early one with the ICH5 vulnerable to "death by static electricity + USB".
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_Controller_Hub#ICH5

On a long shot, you sure it's a Northwood Celeron? Willamette based Pentiums/Celerons won't work in this board. The 1.7Ghz speed makes me wonder.

But the actual reason for me digging this page up. Where I worked we had a ton of intel d865GLC boards, which happen to be bios compatible with the PERL (you can cross-flash the BIOS). Anyhow to the nobody who's interested, if you download SetFSB you can overclock these:

from my work notes:
          ICS952623CG - Gateway tower black/silver (intel d865GLC)

I didn't have a PERL. The GLC's would usually max out around 230FSB (with integrated graphics), but that probably was more to lack of vCore adjustment. Beware that the SATA controller is useless even at +2 overclock though. But IF you get it working, hopefully you can wring a bit more out of that celeron, IF you are using the PATA ports (or add-on card).

If not... ehh I'll take the dead board
          Last edited by xrror; 04-10-2011, 07:33 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Well it may be possible it actually is Willamette and since they're not compatible as you say…I'll try to look around for some real Northwood, thanks for advice :-)

Comment

If you still have the 845 board around that the processor worked in, you can just run CPU-Z with that processor in it and it will tell you for sure what the core is

The more I think about it, 1.7Ghz would be pretty aggressive for a "Willies", and I don't want you wasting money on my word.

Comment

Not a problem, I'll take a look by the SL code. It's just you made me look at Wiki list of Celeron's and actually no Northwood 1,7GHz exists according to it so you may have a point ;-) And I know a guy hwo hase several hundreds of CPU's so he'll give me some slower one for a buck or two I think :-) After all it's godo to have one for testign anyway.

Comment

Some Intel boards have problems with 85C caps gone bad. [Down to 4mm even]
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                    Not a problem, I'll take a look by the SL code. It's just you made me look at Wiki list of Celeron's and actually no Northwood 1,7GHz exists according to it so you may have a point ;-) And I know a guy hwo hase several hundreds of CPU's so he'll give me some slower one for a buck or two I think :-) After all it's godo to have one for testign anyway.
                    lol, what's the lowest FSB "30 cap" non-mobile northwood P4? Pinmods anyone? http://www.google.com/images?q=socke...w=1280&bih=854

Just half joking. We actually had a 3.4Ghz Northwood Celeron where I worked. Win9x it was decent. WinNT based OS it sucked. Unless you're running an older Linux based OS the loss of cache really hurts Pentium 4 so i'd strongly recommend getting a chip with come cache if you have the chance. Granted cache matters more with clockspeed, so I suppose if you must get a 1.4Ghz netburst chip... it won't really matter. But... just saying =) Heck a 1.4Ghz Northwood (do they exist?) still would probably be 400 or 533bus so PINMOD time! LOL. Hrm maybe there actually is some value in this approach.

Also... wow. If a guy around me just had random chips laying about. He'd probably kick me out from my annoying him =D That's awesome.

Edit add: PCBONEZ response reminds me. What all was wrong with this board? I know you poly-modded some stuff, but what all exactly?

@PCBONEZ - are there any threads with pics on the smaller caps dying? I'm not asking to challenge, I just want to know what happens! I generally have ignored the small caps on boards because I can never tell if they're bad or not. I (wishful thinking) just hope they're for things like sound and onboard "accessories". I'd love to know how to tell when the small ones go bad, and symptoms so I'm not going nuts replacing tons of the little ones.
                    Last edited by xrror; 04-10-2011, 09:01 AM. Reason: PCBONEZ adds a valid point

Comment

The guys is selling those CPU's but usually just the higher clocked, the slower ones are not wanted for that reason I think I'll get them for cheap. This MoBo is also intended for sale if it would be working, I have plenty of such AMD 462 boards so I don't need to make another comp, only if somebody needed some office-like machine :-)

Comment

Originally posted by xrror View Post
                        @PCBONEZ - are there any threads with pics on the smaller caps dying? I'm not asking to challenge, I just want to know what happens! I generally have ignored the small caps on boards because I can never tell if they're bad or not. I (wishful thinking) just hope they're for things like sound and onboard "accessories". I'd love to know how to tell when the small ones go bad, and symptoms so I'm not going nuts replacing tons of the little ones.
                        I started looking at them because of a thread in which the guy found some blown 22uF [I think it was] near the chipset that were screwing up Vtt to the CPU's circuitry. That one wasn't an Intel board and was several years ago. I don't remember the title so I can't find it now.
                        -
                        There is also one long thread about blown small caps in Dell GX620's.
                        I think there is a second thread on that topic as well.
                        -
                        Bad 85C caps on Intel boards shows up now and then in threads.
                        -
                        I posted some pics of bloated ones here [two different boards, a P3 and a P4] but they don't always bloat then they are that small.
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=42
                        -
                        You shouldn't jump straight to the small caps or assume they are bad. [Well, unless they are 85C maybe..] They don't fail THAT often, but then you've recapped a board 'the normal way' and it's still quirky or non-working for no apparent reason then checking the small caps might result in saving the board.
                        -
                        You are like most people [including me a couple years ago] and don't even check them.
                        Because people don't check - I think the problem is a lot more common than gets reported.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

The small ones here are Nichicon and Rubycon, I guess the chance for them being bad is even lower.

The CPU is really Willamette Celeron, SL69Z.

Comment

The 85C Nichicon VR series are usually what I see go bad on Intel boards.
                            If they are 105C you are probably fine short of a random failure.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

OK, I'll try supported CPU and than change the small caps if it still won't post.

Comment

So did it ever POST ?

Comment

Yep with different CPU just fine.

Comment

Bump, just "upgraded" a D865PERL which did nothing but overheat (3.0GHz Prescott P4, SL7KB - obviously these CPUs were designed for those living in Antarctica). With this system, all you had to do was open Firefox for 60 seconds with just the one tab open and Intel Active Monitor would come up and tell you that your CPU just hit 69°C! It idled at around 54°C.

The "upgrade" was swapping the CPU with a 2.8GHz Northwood P4 (SL6PF). No more resets/BSODs, no more automatically powering off, no more two-tone warning beeps, and you don't even notice the speed difference. It now idles at a more respectable 36°C (I let it sit there for half a day), with maximum CPU usage jumping it to 61°C, and that is without even applying new heat transfer paste - the only heat transfer material still on the thing is whatever was still stuck to the heat sink; the CPU was bare when I put it in there to test it out! I can only imagine that it will become even cooler when I take the thing apart once again.

One problem I found though is that SpeedFan doesn't like this board whatsoever (even with the original Prescott installed). It will run once, then hang while loading the next time you run it, so you have to keep deleting its config files each time. I gave up and just used the default Intel temperature monitor instead.

Comment

necro award aside, prescott should still work on these boards. My workplace had quite a few of these GLC/PESO/PCD boards with prescott 3.2Ghz and they were fine. Maybe see if it needs a BIOS update? It's possible with an older bios maybe it was feeding it too much voltage? Of course with Intel OEM board more likely it just wouldn't post with unrecognized CPU.

Also yea, thermal paste matters. Prescott ran hotter with a smaller die, which makes thermal paste/heat transfer even more critical.

Lastly is if you luck out and the clockgen on you board is an ICS (952601EF) and NOT the CYxxxx (cygnetics?) you can run setFSB and overclock. I wish I still had a system running to tell you which chip to actually select in setFSB - you basically trial and error about 20+ ICS ones, usually with insta-crash until you find one that works.

And since you're basically spamming the clockgen directly, some crashes mean you have to unplug the system cause yea....

Depending on memory, usually got around 220-235fsb (we had a lot of these =) which is pretty sweet for in our case stock Gateway mid-towers ;p

Good luck.

Comment

My dads computer i built him has a d865perl with a SL6WG 3.2ghz northy i put this cooler on it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200029

its a bargain has a copper core and i don't think it has ever gotten over 45c
                                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Yeay, necro plus award for me...

anyways I stumbled onto a backup I had of some old setFSB settings.

CV174CPAG - black gateway 4610D (intel d965CO)
                                          ICS932S401EGLF - black gateway e6610D (intel d 975 ?)
                                          ICS952623CG - black/silver gateway ? (intel d865GLC)

So that last one is what you'll need for using setFSB on these boards.

ICS952623CG

You will need to set it a few mhz at a time, (ie, increase 3, apply, increase 3, apply, etc)... if you try and jump directly to your end speed likely will crash.

So the command line for this would be "C:\Program Files\setFSB\setfsb.exe" -w20 -s227 -i2 -cgICS952623CG
                                          EDIT ADD: I should explain the above. -w20 [Wait 20 seconds before starting] -s227 [set clockgen to 227] -i2 [increment FSB 2 Mhz at a time] -cgXXXX [set clockgen to XXXX - optional, setFSB remembers last clockgen you pick anyway]

note that for the older versions of setFSB i used, setting the clockgen type 1st time wasn't reliable via command line, so run setFSB at least once, and manually select ICS952623CG and set it at least once. Then it should work.

good luck. and remember this only works if you board has ICS clockgen (and NOT the CYxxxx).
                                          Last edited by xrror; 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X