Jetway J694AS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetway J694AS

Thanks for the quick reply! No, I never changed the memory timings in BIOS. Not even sure how to do it. I`m in BIOS now, in the DRAM timings section and it currently shows:

CAS latency: 3

RAS Precharge Time: 3T

RAS Active Time: 6T

Activate to Command Delay: 3T

Bank Interleave: Enabled

DRAM Drive Control: Auto

The RAM I have is CAS latency 2, so should I change that to 2 in the BIOS? Also which of the three timing settings should I change to 2T?

Comment

glad you fixed the board. you can set the timings to auto and then it should read it from the ram. i usually run a few rounds of memtest86 before booting into windows to check ram settings are ok.

timings are already relaxed though. should work like that.

you might have a bios/ram incompatibility issue.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

First I set the timings to 2-2-2-6 and it worked ok with one stick. But with both, it died. Then I tried setting to auto, again it worked with one stick, and when I checked in Everest it showed the timings at 3-2-2-6. But with both sticks, it died.

I`ve been thinking of updating the BIOS, since I noticed on the Jetway site, they have a more recent version from 2002 for my board. I also ran the BIOS agent from esupport.com, and it showed some interesting info:

It shows maximum memory: 512MB
        Also says my chipset is: VIA 82C691 rev 196

But Everest shows my chipset as a: VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro 133A
        southbridge as: VT82C686B
        (the Everest info matches the info on Jetway`s site)
        I looked at the board and found the VT82C686B VIA chip, but I can`t read the other one, has a (heatsink?) on top. Also, this board originally had a Future Power sticker slapped on over the J694AS logo, and from what I`ve read on the net, Future Power used to ship Jetway boards. Is it possible they could have put a crap version of BIOS on that only accepts up to 512MB RAM? I should add that I tried putting in a 64MB stick of SDRAM with the 512MB, and got the same results as with both 512MB sticks. And what do you make of the BIOS agent from esupport, showing a different chipset?

Comment

try the bios update first.
          it has the best chance to fix it.

Comment

Your timings looks good skinnybonesjones...

Try updating the BIOS...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Some improvement

I updated the BIOS with the latest version from the Jetway site tonight, and now ECC is working! Also the system boots up faster.

But it still will not accept over 512MB of SDRAM. The system keeps restarting before Windows can load. I tried again with the 512MB x 512MB combo, as well as the 512MB x 64MB combo.

But I`m happy it`s working with ECC enabled now, and that the system is working nice with 512MB RAM. I`m just bummed that I can`t seem to put this extra stick of 512MB to use even though the specs of this board say it`s cool for up to 1.5GB.

Anything else that could be causing this problem? Or do you think I should try and contact Jetway? The board is maybe 5 years old...I wonder if they`ll even help me.

Comment

No idea really...

It could never hurt to try contacting the manufacturer I guess...
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Wow...1.5GB maximum RAM for an old Socket 370 (I'm guessing) and here we have reports saying anything higher than 512MB RAM then it won't work.

It's worth a try to contact support and see if they will have an answer.
                  My gaming PC:
                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                  ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                  PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                  G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                  TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                  WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                  ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                  Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                  Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                    Wow...1.5GB maximum RAM for an old Socket 370 (I'm guessing) and here we have reports saying anything higher than 512MB RAM then it won't work.
                    512MB is limitation of i815 chipset (and i810 probably too). All other chipsets can do more (i440LX/EX, BX/ZX and also ALi, SiS and VIA).

Comment

it would be nice to check 2x512mb non ecc sticks in the board to see if that works.

recommend to contact crucial also to see what they say.

since you are now using latest bios, i dont see it working with those sticks unless there is some obscure bios setting.
                      Last edited by willawake; 01-04-2006, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I`m pretty much thinking it`s a hopeless cause, but I sent off a message to Jetway. Their site says they should respond within 3-4 days. I want to see what they have to say, and then I`ll try contacting Crucial.

Comment

Here's the Crucial report on your board:

System Specs
                          168-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
                          Chipset: VIA Apollo Pro133A
                          Error Detection Support: ECC and non-ECC
                          Graphics Support: AGP 4X
                          Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM: 1536MB
                          Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
                          SDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC100 and PC133
                          Supported DRAM Types: SDR SDRAM only
                          USB Support: 1.x Compliant

Because their report also says 1.5GB RAM, I don't expect you'll get much help from them.

Are there any capacitors around the RAM slots? Usually there are, to provide support for the RAM. If there are, they could be bad, whether they look bad or not, and not providing enough power to the RAM when you have two sticks loaded. Take a look; let us know what you find. Also any unpopulated spots anywhere around the RAM slots.

EDIT: There's also a note on that page:
                          Notes
                          Important information about your system
                          Memory configurations for Windows 95/98/ME with greater than 256MB, require adjusting the Vcache settings as outlined by Microsoft article Q108079.

I realize that you said you were running Windows XP Pro, but it might be worth a look.
                          Last edited by AK0R; 01-04-2006, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                            good find on the MSI MS-6321 (694D in all its variations). its gonna have crap caps though. do we have any more options?
                            The Abit VL6 and VT6X4 both support 1.5GB and are AGP 2x. The Abit VP6 supports 2GB and is AGP 4x.

Comment

Originally posted by AK0R
                              Here's the Crucial report on your board:

System Specs
                              168-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
                              Chipset: VIA Apollo Pro133A
                              Error Detection Support: ECC and non-ECC
                              Graphics Support: AGP 4X
                              Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM: 1536MB
                              Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
                              SDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC100 and PC133
                              Supported DRAM Types: SDR SDRAM only
                              USB Support: 1.x Compliant

Because their report also says 1.5GB RAM, I don't expect you'll get much help from them.

Are there any capacitors around the RAM slots? Usually there are, to provide support for the RAM. If there are, they could be bad, whether they look bad or not, and not providing enough power to the RAM when you have two sticks loaded. Take a look; let us know what you find. Also any unpopulated spots anywhere around the RAM slots.
                              the caps ensure the supply to the ram is clean.if open/high esr there will be lots of errors in memtest or whatever you test with.
                              the caps dont supply power they filter it.

Comment

I have two new sticks of 512MB ECC PC133 SDRAM and each stick works fine in all 3 slots in my board, as long as they are alone.
                                slots are working, the recapping was fine.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the responses, you`ve given me a lot of ideas. I got a response from Jetway already. Here it is:

Dear sir

1.The mainboard can't support ECC memory

2. The mainboard only support 8M/16M/ 32M x8 x16 type SDRAM module
                                  so I recommend use 32Mx8x16 pcs 512M RAM module .
                                  Please don't use X32 or X64 type SDRAM module ,
                                  the mainboard can't support that .

Best regards
                                  From JETWAY FAE support team

I`m going to write them again as there are still two things I don`t understand:

1. If it doesn`t support ECC, why does it claim to do so on their site?
                                  http://www.j-mark.com/PRODUCT/mb/694as.html

2. If it only supports 8M/16M/ 32M x8 x16 type SDRAM why does a 512MB SDRAM ECC 64Meg x 72 module work perfectly fine alone in the board, as well as passing several all-night memtests with 0 errors? It`s only with anything over 512MB that it crashes.

Also, I have one stick of 128MB and another of 64MB, that work fine together, but unfortunately don`t have access to a stick of 512MB non-ECC RAM to test over 512MB with.

Yeah, I used the Crucial Memory Advisor tool when I bought this RAM. These were the modules it said are compatible with my board: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...94AS&submit=Go

Also, I took another look at the caps around the RAM slots, and they look ok to me. I know looks can be decieving, but I have yet to recieve an error in memtest86 either. I am unable to memtest both 512MB sticks together, cause the system keeps restarting. Anyway, I`m gonna send off an email to Crucial, and see what they think of what Jetway told me.

Comment

I just send a message to Crucial. They have a pretty good return policy, so if they don`t have any ideas on how to get both these modules working, I might have to return em. They guarantee the results of the Crucial Memory Advisor tool which showed my board as taking a maximum of 1536MB unbuffered SDRAM, but it`s not taking more than 512MB. Maybe they`ll let me return one stick.

Thanks AK0R, I`ll try looking into the Vcache thing. It`s worth a try at least.

Comment

I asked Jetway about the ECC thing, and they said...whoops our mistake, that board does indeed accept ECC. No real answer on the 32Meg x 8 other than that they sent me the .PDF manual for the VIA chipset I have so I could see for myself. But at least both emails I sent them were answered the next day, and the guy was really polite.
                                      I talked to Crucial, and their tech support figured it was an ECC problem which was causing the system to crash with more than 512MB. They RMA'd my 2 sticks of ECC. I exchanged one stick for another 512MB non-ECC one, and returned the other. They're pretty efficient over there, and I got my new stick about 4 days after my phonecall and they even payed for shipping.

I tried it with another 64MB SDRAM, and the system bit the dust as usual. But when I tried it with a 128MB stick, the system booted up Windows, but with some errors (the 128MB one always gets errors in memtest). If I find someone with a good SDRAM module I can test it out with, than cool, otherwise I'm not gonna sweat it. willawake, you're right...no point in pouring anymore money into this rig. It's working great with the 512MB RAM after the recap, and I got my money back for the other, so I'm happy. I wanna say thanks again for all the information on this site that helped me out so much!

My next goal is to build a new, faster, more reliable system for music. Any mobo suggestions?

Comment

I'm thinking about an Athlon 64, so I should have said any Socket 939 boards anyone had a good experience with?

Comment

I've read that the Abit AV8 is good.
                                          The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Working...
                                          X