Another HannsG HG281D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another HannsG HG281D

Regarding this ribbon cable on CN501, it is very finnicky - if I don't leave it with a little pressure holding it just right, the right side of the display goes from normal to faded and discolored.

What is weird is that this ribbon cable should be effecting the left side of the image displayed, since the cable is the one on the right side of the TCON when viewed from the back. Or am I completely off here?

I sometimes got lighter grey horizontal rectangles, about a half inch high and spanning the entire left side of the monitor when messing around with this cable (the right side image was ugly while doing this), but never anything else on the left side.

This particular ribbon cable was creased at a 90° angle coming out of the display's connector on its left side, and then creased further down on the right side. Also, the tape covering it was pressing it against the metal display backing, which seems to have heated it to the point where it made some discolored bubble patterns on the plastic. I've tried reseating the cable a few times and cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, but still no improvement on the left side of the display.

Also worth mentioning, I couldn't figure out how to get the ribbon cable released from the connector - a YouTube video I watched had the release bar flip up in the opposite direction from these ones, and I wrenched pretty hard on them before I figured out which way they flipped up. So I could have damaged the connectors, but I've looked pretty closely, and I don't see any broken connections with the TCON board.

I'm thinking (or hoping) that this ribbon cable was just barely hanging in there, and then jostling it around when removing the TCON finally did it in?

I'm looking at replacing it, seems to be a 0.5mm pitch 80 pin FFP cable, but it has some lines missing from it.
    I could sever the same wires with a razor blade, but would rather not risk screwing up the other lines on a new cable.

Do you guys think it would be fine to have continuity on the pins that have missing wires in this ribbon cable?

Is there a better way to test out a ribbon cable than checking the individual pin resistance across the cable and flexing it around? Sounds pretty tedious for 80 pins.

A pic of the current cable is attached
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Capt. Cap; 10-13-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
      OK, sorry I got your thread mixed up with another thread about boards swapping.
      Heh, I thought that might be the case, but your comment also made some sense since you pointed out the logic board is made for a 12V display and the panel is 5V.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Cap View Post
        I took readings from almost every test pad and some other places of interest on the TCON while the right side image was good, hopefully it can help determine if the TCON is OK and the problem lies downstream.

Scroll down in the box below to see all values...
        Looks okay to me now. All the main rail voltages are there and what they should be. I think the gammas are alright to (otherwise, you would have had a faded / wrong-colored image even on the working side of the monitor.) Resistance are fine too. I had you check them only because I saw the low VDDA, VGH, and VGL voltages. But since those are fine now, then VDDA, VGH, and VGL should have normal resistances (and they do).

At this point, the issues does seem to have something to do with the ribbon cable or perhaps connector holding, since you said you could get an image if you hold it right. That rules out any dead IC on the T-con and TFT panel boards, I think.

I'm looking at replacing it, seems to be a 0.5mm pitch 80 pin FFP cable, but it has some lines missing from it.
        I could sever the same wires with a razor blade, but would rather not risk screwing up the other lines on a new cable.
        Do you guys think it would be fine to have continuity on the pins that have missing wires in this ribbon cable?
        Most likely it should be okay. I don't think the non-missing lines on the new cables would cause an issue. But just in case, when you get your new cable, check where these now-not-missing lines connect to. Chances are they are probably left floating. I doubt we will see anything like lines connected to ground on one side and to a signal or power rail on the other. But do check. You don't have to check every single line on the cable - just the missing ones.

Yes, there's a chance the old cable may have failed where the 90 degree bends were. However, it could also be the connector not making good contact with the cable too. This, we won't know. But if you replace the cable and symptoms remain the same, then it's probably the connector itself.

Is there a better way to test out a ribbon cable than checking the individual pin resistance across the cable and flexing it around? Sounds pretty tedious for 80 pins.
        If you can find the cable (and maybe for a decent price too), it might be more worthwhile to just replace it than play around with measuring resistance/continuity from board to board. Now if you do replace the cable and the symptoms are the same, then you'll probably have to do that to verify if the connector is bad too or not.

Originally posted by budm View Post
        OK, sorry I got your thread mixed up with another thread about boards swapping.
        Ha, me too, budm. I think it was that other Samsung monitor thread we were replying to.

Sorry about the mixup, Capt. Cap.
        Last edited by momaka; 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Looks okay to me now. All the main rail voltages are there and what they should be. I think the gammas are alright to
          Thanks for taking a look!
          That's relieving to hear! Earlier today, I did Tom's T-CON board diagnosis spreadsheet mentioned here, and it had gotten me worried as it showed my VDDA as a Marginal/Fail, and "VCOM given to AVDD" (whatever that is) as an outright fail. But then again, it showed my VGL as failed also even though is was dead in the middle of the -5 to -15V range, so I guess should be taken with a grain of salt.

At this point, the issues does seem to have something to do with the ribbon cable or perhaps connector holding, since you said you could get an image if you hold it right. That rules out any dead IC on the T-con and TFT panel boards, I think.
          The image is only on the right side of the screen though, and I'm messing with the ribbon that should be effecting the left (blank) side in order to get the right side looking pretty - doesn't make any sense to me

I was also thinking it could be a tab binding board issue for the left side of the screen, so I tried checking the only test pads that I could access without figuring out how to remove the bezel.
          VCOML_I, TPC2, and TPB2 were all 0V. An unpopulated solder pad was 770mV, so there is at least some power getting to the bonding board.

If you can find the cable (and maybe for a decent price too), it might be more worthwhile to just replace it than play around with measuring resistance/continuity from board to board.
          My thoughts exactly
          I've got a new ribbon cable on the way, we'll see what happens when it's in place.

Ha, me too, budm. I think it was that other Samsung monitor thread we were replying to.

Sorry about the mixup, Capt. Cap.
          Lol, I wouldn't be able to keep all the threads straight either!
          Thanks so much momaka and budm for providing so much insight!
          Attached Files

Comment

Turns out it's not the ribbon cable

I got the idea to swap the two cables, and the right side of the display still works with the cable I thought might be bad, and the left side of the screen is still not displaying any picture with the known good cable.

I guess the tab bonding board is next to check?
            Or could it still be a TCON issue?

Comment

I checked BUF07704 and got similar results to what rrflorida mentions.

U301 has INCOM of 0V, OUTCOM starts at 5V and climbs to 9.77V.
              U300 has INCOM 5.47V, OUTCOM 5.55V steady which looks more normal.

Could I also have a failed BUF07704?

Though looking closely at the traces, it seems like INCOM and OUTCOM of U301 could be floating if that makes any sense.
              Last edited by Capt. Cap; 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM.

Comment

I was looking at the power supply board with a magnifying glass, forgot it was still plugged in running in standby mode, and accidentally touched the metal frame of the magnifying glass across some pads or traces on the back of the board on the low frequency side.

I heard a bzzzzzzzzzzzzt, quickly moved the magnifier away, but it no longer kicks on.

I get the orange and blue LED power standby lights, but when it tries to turn on, I just hear a quick, faint ticking noise coming from the power supply.

Comment

I was looking at the power supply board with a magnifying glass, forgot it was still plugged in running in standby mode, and accidentally touched the metal frame of the magnifying glass across some pads or traces on the back of the board on the low frequency side.

I heard a bzzzzzzzzzzzzt, quickly moved the magnifier away, but it no longer kicks on.

I get the orange and blue LED power standby lights, but when it tries to turn on, I just hear a quick, faint ticking noise coming from the power supply.

Shouldn't be too hard to repair, as it sounds like you just have damage on the secondary side. Since you do get standby power, then just check the main PS secondary-side - i.e. the rectifying diodes and of course feedback circuit (TL431 and associated resistors).

Comment

Thanks to all for the info on the Hanns power supply fix.
                    I just did the "three caps" fix. Changed C603, C606 and C707. The monitor came back to life beautifully. I have three Hanns 281's and three Viewsonic VX2835's. I had sent out two previous power supplies to be repaired, but then decided to attempt a repair this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X