Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

foxconn mcp73s01, replaced caps still dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foxconn mcp73s01, replaced caps still dead.

So I'm working on a hp slimline s3620f. The gentlemen said that he was working on a project, when it BSOD and rebooted, after which he did a memory test. I assume windows memory test, this indicated bad ram. After that he rebooted the system, it was dead.

I got it about 2 weeks ago and play with everything except the powersupply due to it being propitiatory miniature 24pin atx conenction. Nothing, no beeps, no post, fan is spinning and lights come on, but no function.

I've inspected the motherboard and found nothing of interest. I noticed rubycon and OST caps, figured one of those OST RLX's went open or shorted and went ahead and ordered 10 new caps. Today I replaced with new nichicon HN caps on the board and it's still dead. Nothing, won't beep or post, fan is spinning, lights are on, but nobody's home.

Mobo: Foxconn MCP73S01/Irvine-GL6E
    *Looks like nforce 630i, is this one of those problem chipset with bad substrates?
    Ram: Two 2GB DDR2 800
    Graphics: Integrated Geforce 7100
    HD: WD 500GB

Stuff that might give a clue or may be normal:

Two of the caps I've put in *one at the dimm and the other at the pci-e slot* are shorted to 50 ohms on my DMM. I have removed them and tested the caps and they are not shorted, but the holes on the board still test 50 Ohms. I think they are in parallel with the other caps but this mini-itx traces are difficult to see with so many SMD components crammed together. The other caps are not shorted.

So what could it be? PSU? Bad Chipset? A smd component failure somewhere?

Will post pictures if you need/ask for them, would have posted some but camera is dead and charging up.
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM.

Re: foxconn mcp73s01, replaced caps still dead.

I would try psu if I had another one. With no post, remove both ram and see if it beeps. If it does beep, put one ram back in and try. If no post, remove and try other ram stick. Here is a link to post problems. http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-ar...shooting-plus/

Comment

nvidia chipset
      another one bites the dust..

edit:
      http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d.../FOXCONN-1.jpg
      slimline case + passive cooled nvidia chipset ..

by the way... that's not exactly mini-ITX.
      mini-ITX is 17 x 17cm (or 6.7 x 6.7in) with one expansion slot. what you're looking at is called mini-DTX, which is 20.3 x 17cm (8.0 x 6.7in) and usually has 2 slots.
      mini-ITX is compatible though (ie: you can replace a mini-DTX board with a mini-ITX one at the cost of one expansion slot)

for example, these boards would most likely be drop-in replacements
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121381
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500042

some others that i can't even find on newegg
      http://skinflint.co.uk/de/?cat=mb1pp...DR2-800#xf_top

an intel Atom or AMD Fusion board would be cheaper, but the S775 CPU would be left over..
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&PageSize=50

unless you can reflow the chipset that foxconn board is pretty much gone :/

Comment

I don't want to be rude, it might be my fault for not stating it clearly enough, but I know how to troubleshoot the hardware. I already done that. The only thing I can't test is the PSU because HP/foxconn and their infinite wisdom of not following standards used a propitiatory miniature 24pin atx jack, All I have is standard 20 and 24 pin atx PSU, plenty actually.

I'm ordering a 20 std to 24 mini, as seen here at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/20-Pin-ATX-Mini-24/dp/B004BO94BC

Probably what's going to happen *if the Gent gives me the ok* is that I'm going to buy another matching board off ebay for $90 and replace it. Keep this dead mobo for myself, and see if I can fix it, if not > junk bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
          I'm ordering a 20 std to 24 mini, as seen here at amazon.
          http://www.amazon.com/20-Pin-ATX-Mini-24/dp/B004BO94BC
          a dollar saved is a dollar earned..

http://cgi.ebay.com/180597993314
          http://cgi.ebay.com/350432833738
          http://cgi.ebay.com/260722269081
          http://cgi.ebay.com/280607108845

Comment

Thank you scenic, that's the board.

my mistake, I didn't realize it was different board standard. I don't get alot of mini's in my shop. Normally it's micro-atx, server racks, and ATX boards.

What is reflow and can I do it? I might do it if I acquire this board as a possession.

I don't think purchasing a new board would be a choice, guy has $125 limit on the unit, I haven't given him a sitrep about the board yet but what he does know is that I said the board is dead and it could be badcaps or a bad PSU, if it fails to fix it I won't charge him for the caps or labor. Basically I'm doing this for free until I get something working and I really don't mind.

The cheapest solution would be get a matching board, so I don't have to change out the PSU, that's only if I get that retarded adapter and test with another PSU to rule it out. Or get an adapter that goes from mini to std atx and test it on my bitch box. If it's good then no need to replace but if the psu ever fails in the future he would have to buy the 20 to 24 mini adapter anyways.

A new mini-itx board would entail a new PSU, a data-backup followed by wipe and reload and new copy of windows, an hour of updating and installing drivers, then putting a condom on the machine..
            new board may run around $75-125
            PSU $50-75
            20 to 24 mini adapter $10 *this includes S+H
            Windows 7 89-159 OEM Home Premuim to Ultimate
            Labor: 6 hours at the most, typically 3-4 *ordering, testing, installation, wipe and reload + updates, condom software of user's choice or authorizing tech to choose on their behalf, AVG, AVAST, AVIRA, CLAM A/V *free I don't charge for this it's against the licensing agreements. Everything in labor $40 to 80
            Shipping and Handling could be $5 to 30

Using the maximum it comes out to about $310 this doesn't include Windows. In this case the customer/client would normally say forget it and buy a new computer from one of the big-box stores.

It's not really economical for the client. Cheapest option is buying a matching replacement board. No need to wipe and reload, guy gets to keep his data and doesn't have to reinstall applications and if the PSU is good and doesn't need replacement. We're looking at a good $110 to $120 total.

But I got to call the guy tomorrow and see what he wants to do, and since today is Easter and I really don't want to interrupt anybody's activities or his generally.

I try to avoid ebay alot, you never know what you're going to get or not get. I'll probably will buy this adapter, the mobo is going to be a hard buy for me because alot of them are coming from hong kong. Calling HP to order one will cost just as much as buying a new itx.

Thanks scenic.
            Last edited by Mad_Professor; 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

hm... i wrote about that mini-ITX stuff (atom replacement board) before knowing about the proprietary POS PSU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering
              there are a couple threads on here about doing this with a hot air gun (pretty ghetto) or by baking the whole board in an oven (just plain dumb IMHO .. usually damages more than it fixes)

Comment

Hmmm... Maybe if I was bored or if I need another board I might try reflowing it, they way you made it sound, makes it seem pointless at this point.

I was thinking about the rubycon caps, They are MCZ and are basically same volts and capacitance as OST RLX which are 6.3v 1000uF.

What are the chances of these rubycons being bad or out of tolerance? The machine is 2 years old, what if the OST's started going bad and the operation of the board depend more on the rubycon's and now they have gone bad/out of tolerance due to age and heavy use? Is it possible?

edit: also there are some polymers *aka solid lytic caps near the cpu. What are the chances of them going bad?
                Last edited by Mad_Professor; 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Does the current machine not have a licence key attached to it?
                  If so, you don't need to buy a new licence or even re-install.
                  If it's running Vista or above it's usually easy to get it booting on a different chipset. XP is slightly more involved but still entirely possible.

Comment

at our work, we've had about 4-5 slimlines come across or workdesk with bad nvidia chips. I still have I think 2 of these power supplies and they are good. kind of a pain the send out though, they an't light

but keep in mind there is 2 versions of these power supplies, one higher wattage then aother. they should be swappable but one will be a much tighter fit then aother

we usually just get a new, cheap am2 motherboard, standard case, and transfer everything but the power supply over
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Does the current machine not have a licence key attached to it?
                      It does, but it's OEM, meaning if I had to buy a new different mobo, it would mean a new copy of windows.

Uranium-235, the PSU in this slimline is a Delta Electronics 160W, which to me seems a little low for fulfilling the power requirement of the whole machine.

Anyways I order the adapter so I should get it sometime this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                        It does, but it's OEM, meaning if I had to buy a new different mobo, it would mean a new copy of windows.
                        You can call MS activation line, when you activate you tell them that the old one died but you got a different replacement mainboard for the system.
                        The license does cover this...
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                          You can call MS activation line, when you activate you tell them that the old one died but you got a different replacement mainboard for the system.
                          The license does cover this...
                          Indeed it does - I do this all the time at work for failed mobos that I swap out. Microsoft never have a problem with it.

Comment

Are ya sure???? Because I know I've done this few times before and MS has always told me that it can only be done on retail copies of the O/S but they may have change the OEM agreements.

Comment

Yes, been doing it without issue for the past 4 years.

You call them up, they'll ask why you're re-activating, tell them the motherboard has failed and you've had to replace it, they'll give you an activation key.
                              Hell, if the license key hasn't been previously activated within 30 days, it'll probably sail through online activation anyway.

Comment

when it comes to activating OEM's, my company has had to very ever rarely call it in. just get an OEM disk, it usually dosen't matter which one, hell get a dell vista disk, install, put the key in, activate online (make sure the date and time are right before you do). Might be issues with doing this with win7, but they've let us activate vista multiple times

and if you want to put xp on it, they took off nearly all activation restrictions for xp over a year ago

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                  they took off nearly all activation restrictions for xp over a year ago
                                  That would explain why XP activations seem to be rolling through happily at the moment.

I think they would have done that for people wanting to exercise downgrade rights from W7P to XPP.
                                  Microsoft are very 'airy fairy' as to how you go about activating XP with the 'used' media when performing a downgrade - even when I asked them directly. If Uranium-235 is correct, it all makes sense now.

Comment

Update: This board is dead as a door nail, got the adapter, test with 200w PSU then a 350w PSU no results, tried PCI-E video card, no results. Conclusion chipset must have died

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                                      That would explain why XP activations seem to be rolling through happily at the moment.

I think they would have done that for people wanting to exercise downgrade rights from W7P to XPP.
                                      Microsoft are very 'airy fairy' as to how you go about activating XP with the 'used' media when performing a downgrade - even when I asked them directly. If Uranium-235 is correct, it all makes sense now.
                                      actually i'm pretty sure its cause microsoft dosen't want to have to spend any more time and money on having call-ins for XP, but with 7 now and to some point still vista, you still have to call in if you have more than 1 activation for OEM Or 3 for retail

but for xp, my god i've used the same key over and over with M$'s blessing

Comment

Working...
                                      X