What is this electronic component?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this electronic component?

Found this in my junk pile. I'm pretty sure it's a hall effect sensor but not sure:

- What type it is
    - Pinout
    - specifications on what I can do with it

Any guesses on its complete identity?
    Attached Files

Re: What is this electronic component?

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Found this in my junk pile. I'm pretty sure it's a hall effect sensor but not sure:

- What type it is
    - Pinout
    - specifications on what I can do with it

Any guesses on its complete identity?
    Hard to say -- where did it (likely) come from? (from where did your junk pile collect its parts?)

If its a HE sensor, it will either have a digital output or be ratiometric (some percentage of the supply voltage varying with the intensity of the field).

Digital devices have limited application domains -- though can save on "other" components if you are really only interested in an ON/OFF sort of signal. This could be the case for BLDC controllers. You can also use them as "isolated switches". I use several as weatherproof pushbuttons cuz I can "pot" the sensor and connections and just pass a fixed magnet near it to "press" the button. Because there are no exposed conductors or mechanism, I can hose the "button" down with a garden hose and not risk a failure.

Analog/ratiometric devices can always be used where digital ones are used -- but with the caveat of additional signal conditioning circuitry (this can be an asset or a liability). I've used "bare sensors", in the past, in current sensors (place the device in the magnetic field of a small xformer and sense the strength of the field).

With some calibration, you can use them to sense proximity (in "engineering units" instead of just go/nogo -- i.e., the device is 0.12 inches away from the sensor)

You can use them to sense shaft rotation, mechanism position, etc. Anything where contactless sensing may be of value (relying on the magnetic field to convey the "contact" information in much the same way that reflective or interrupted optical sensors use light).

If you have just one (or a few), its probably not worth holding onto it/them. OTOH, a bag of hundreds seems to beg for some sort of "application".

[If they aren't begging to be discarded, just set them aside until a use comes to mind]

Comment

Re: What is this electronic component?

Sounds like a linear Hall-effect sensor and The packaging is 3-pin sip, matrix hd style (suffix ua). Maybe this page will help :

https://www.google.com/search?q=3-pi...OV01x8v9pTkiM:

Comment

Working...
      X