Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap ESR meters on fleaBay, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap ESR meters on fleaBay, what do you think?

Hey guys, what do you think of all the cheap ESR type meters on ebay from China? The ones that look like a hobby board with an LCD screen soldered on there for like 15 bucks shipped. I need a meter for testing caps, but not enough to want to buy anything significant if I can get away with a cheapo unit.

If not those, can anyone suggest something decent?

Cheers,
    Alex

Re: Cheap ESR meters on fleaBay, what do you think?

I got one similar but cost about $24

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D6BNDWM

It works fine for what I need and it's very useful for me. I soldered some curved wires to connect alligator test leads to so I don't have to fuss with the little pin jacks and that helps. It's a little clumsy not being in a box but it's useable.

Comment

that's the old design.
      i think he meant these:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251581148174
      or these:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251471851226

they look good - i plan to get one.
      they do sell them cased btw.

Comment

Yeah, those look nice. If I didn't already have the one I have I'd want one of those too.

Comment

Ive got the same one as you have steve does the job ok for me.

Comment

Just curious, but on their specs page, they list the capacitance range of 30pf-100mf. Is the 100mf their way of stating 100uf?

Comment

i think it is.

Comment

yes, a good example is valve radio diagrams where you will find caps marked as mf instead of uf.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Interesting.... I looked a little more closely at the links stj posted and in one of the photos the cap measured at 408uf. Not bad if the ESR meter is rated at 100uf!
                  Last edited by jetadm123; 07-09-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

100uf is probably an error because it's way to low to be practical.
                    10,000uf would be more likely.

Comment

1 mf = 1000 uf
                      100 mf = 0.1 farad
                      Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!

Comment

coolio. ordering one. tired of replacing every single cap on a board just cause.

Thanks guys.

Comment

search sellers other items - get the one in a case for a few $ more.

Comment

You do realize that in order to get a reliable reading, you have to desolder the caps off the board (or lift one leg) in case they are in parallel (or possibly affected by some other components in circuit)??
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi,
                              What do u think about this ESR meter?
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-LCD-Tran...-/181164691633

Comment

same as my links - just more expensive.

there are 2 styles of that meter, big display and compact display.
                                and you can get it in a case.

and there are several sellers - do some searching before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  same as my links - just more expensive.

there are 2 styles of that meter, big display and compact display.
                                  and you can get it in a case.

and there are several sellers - do some searching before you buy.
                                  Its the same as yours the second one and cost the same
                                  But do u know if its good?
                                  Cuz i checked the feedback and all say good things about it.

Comment

Nobody knows if those new big screen ones are good - no-one has one.
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hey,
                                      If i desolder the wire of the 9[V] jack and put there a 9[V] 200[mA] power supply like this one it will work fine yes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Converter...-/221232824063
                                      Last edited by predator0357; 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

i will be getting the compact one, because the big one is not avalable in the case.
                                        i think the display is the only difference though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X