This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

I would just like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and say hello to all members of Badcaps.

In brief I am a 'Mackem' from the north east of England, joined the Royal Engineers as a teenager, served 27 years for Queen and country ( would do it again if given the choice). Became interested in Computers in 1983 and have been fascinated with the technology ever since. So much so that I decided to work for myself as a PC Engineer when i finished my time in HM Forces.

As most of the subscribers to this forum know, in this ever constantly changing world of computer maintenance , laptops are ever present, when they develop a problem with the motherboard, it is simply not economically viable to swop out the board. I do not want to contribute to the 'throw away mentality' and make an effort to try and repair the board to component level.

I appreciate that the origins of this site was focussed on the subject of poor quality caps. However, my motives to use this site is to learn and improve my expertise from the vast global experience which is willingly donated by the knowledgeable members that subscribe to this site.

" Many hands make light of work, many minds make a fountain of knowledge"

I look forward to my journey and maybe cross paths with some of you

Comment

Hi I'm Bob - I'm in the software industry for like 30 years.
      However also a tinkerer and home-brew kind of guy.
      Looking forward to learning and (hopefully) helping.

Comment

Great site for learning! I am not very well grounded in electronics - a bit of a black boxer. I have been able to repair many monitors, power supplies, tv's, & mother boards using info obtained from the web. Most success in isolating bad parts has been via simple visual inspection. ESR meter has been a God send but there have been times when Bad caps looked fine, tested good with both ESR meter and Capacitance meter and they were in fact bad. This was the case most often with very large caps. My user name stems from difficulty in obtaining diagnostic info regarding uniform stable horizontal lines on the lcd tv screen of a Sharp TV that I am working on. I think the problem is with the flex connectors or the t-con board itself. Anywho thanks to all who run this site as it is very helpful.

Comment

Hey all...
          I'm a Rhode Islander that found my way here looking for help with my Hanns Spree HG281D that is suddenly doing weird things upon start up but subside after about a minute.
          Hopefully I will find a way to fix it from the forums here

Comment

Hey this is Scuba ..Good ole GA boy...Im pretty good with a soldering iron and lots of small electronics...Im hoping to learn more about fixing Tv's here

Comment

Hey all, long time computer repair guy but my first time trying to replace caps. My Sharp lcd just recently died which motivated me to finally get started repairing my growing collection of dead electronics. So far I have 3 LCD monitors, 1 LCD TV and a DLP TV that are'nt working. Enough is enough, I'm hoping to get all my devices working before the month is out.

Comment

Hey guys! Car audio technician here, trying my hand at fixing some televisions for my friends, and thought you guys seemed like a good community to turn to!

Comment

This is FoolIggy posting my "On board" hello!

Comment

Hello, people. I'm an architect in training who enjoys fixing stuff and wears a hat. I've been lurking around this site for a while now, just never got around to making an account. Glad to be a part of this community.

Comment

Hello Badcaps members. I am am from northern NY state, not to be confused with NYC... two totally worlds.
                      I have "turned wrenches" for most of my life and therefore like to fix stuff rather than take it to the landfill. Upon researching information regarding an RCA tv that went south on me recently (figuratively, not literally, although it is getting that time of year I personally would to be in the south) I stumbled upon this forum. So here I am. I generally put my skills to good use restoring classic vehicles, or customizing motorcycles, but electronics are not typically part of what I do.
                      I actually started taking a course in electronics technology through ICS years ago, but I found that since I was not using the knowledge on a daily basis, I forgot more in a day than I could learn in a week. At the time there was not much electronics on old underground mining equipment, although that has been changing over the years.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I really find this a useful site when trying to narrow down the actual components causing problems. Glad to be member!

Comment

Glad to be here! Been a lurker for quite some time! Getting ready to post a few questions!

Thanks to this awesome forum!

Comment

Hi everyone, nice forum with a lot of useful info....i am an electrical engineer and i love DIY'ing in every thing you name it electronics, circuits, woodwork, metalwork etc. anyway happy to be here.

Comment

Hello Everyone!

I have an issue with a Samsung 50" Plasma, model # PN50550S1F. I bought this tv used since the screen was in great shape and the owner said it just needed a new z-board (X-SUS Board by samsung terms). The tv has no picture, but it does have power and sound, I replaced the X-SUS board and still no picture. Checked the capacitors and they all look fine without any bulging or anything. I'm moving over to replacing the fuses and then replacing the Y-SUS Main board after that. Does anyone have any tips on repair? I'm a fairly smart and technical guy even though I don't have much experience with tv repair. Everything seems like plug in play on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                I just found your forum and am anxious to use it in more detail.
                                Thanks!

Comment

bad caps bad caps, what you gonna do, what you gonna do when they blow on you ?

:-)

Comment

My name is James, I am happy to be a part of this forum. I look to this site to provide knowledge in doing some things myself and hopefully budget my hard earned money. Thanks, James

Comment

Hopefully I can save myself a bunch of money using the info and users of this forum for advice.

Comment

hey im new

Comment

Hi from the Caribbean

Comment

Working...
                                          X