m$ win10 - again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m$ win10 - again!

With nine days to go, Microsoft really, really wants you to claim your free upgrade to Windows 10. Come to think of it, Microsoft has really, really wanted you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8.1 PC to Windows 10 for more than a year, and backed it with the GWX subsystem -- first installed by KB 3035583 in March 2015, 15 months ago.

Poster Chris on AskWoody put it quite accurately:

Because, y'know -- the dozens and dozens of times I have vehemently and viciously said "No Bloody Way!" to any and all of Microsoft's Windows 10 nonsense over the past year may have just been playful flirtation on my part … all to get them to try harder.

[ Your one-stop shop for Microsoft knowledge: Everything you need to know about Windows 10, in a handy PDF. Download it today! | Survive and thrive with the new OS: The ultimate Windows 10 survivor kit. | Stay up on key Microsoft technologies with the Windows newsletter. ]

Now the flirtation includes a yellow exclamation for an icon in the system tray, a popup with a hamburger icon, and a countdown clock that tells you that there's just 9 days 7 hours 16 minutes and 77 seconds until Armageddon. You're given the options of "Decline free offer" and "Upgrade now."
    sorry to interrupt

If you decide to upgrade now, you'll get the old Windows 10.1, version 1511, released last November, build 10586. You will have 31 days to roll back to your original operating system, although the rollback is not without problems.

It isn't clear if declining the free offer actually, you know, declines the free offer. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a new KB 3035583 in the near future that says "Are you really, really sure?" or "Upgrade now or we'll kill this bunny."

At any rate, GWX Control Panel will keep the icon from appearing, wipe out all vestiges of the GWX program, and make your system whole once again, give or take an unpleasant memory.

If you're unsure, before you take the plunge, you might want to check out the InfoWorld review of Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which is the fancy new version of Windows 10 that awaits all Win10 upgraders on or about Aug. 2.

Two more patches that appeared overnight.

KB 3173040, the purple page patch, throws a full-screen "Sorry to interrupt" message on Win7 and 8.1 machines (screenshot).
    sorry to interrupt

Once again, GWX Control Panel will keep the purple cow ("… I'd rather see than be one") from appearing.

Both of our new GWX-infected friends appear as "recommended" and will thus appear on your Windows Update list as checked -- ready to install -- if you have the Windows Update setting "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" option checked. (Yet another good reason to uncheck the option.)

KB 3172615, the July update rollup for Server 2012, also showed up. For some reason, the KB article is already up to version 2 -- and I can't find any reason for the revision.

I've seen reports that the patches are rolling out slowly. If you use Windows 7 or 8.1 and haven't seen the patches yet, wait a while.

t/h PKCano, ch100, Chris and all the others who are filling in as my eyes and ears
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/309...yet-again.html

Re: m$ win10 - again!

I'll ride on W7 as long as I can....and from there, I'll figure it out. None of my machines are patched beyond SP1, save for a few standalones....nothing has exploded yet.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Re: m$ win10 - again!

this machine....my new daily driver.....Win10. not really caring much for it
      2 older dual core boxes (one amd and one intel) running XP....and will probably stay that way. might get them folding again.....
      the old daily driver......had XP......will most likely get the ubuntu....
      my other quad core........has win7 home on it. not sure what i'll do with it.

but you can bet your ascot it won't be windows.

and my decision isn't based on bullshit posted on the 'net.
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Working...
      X