Simple PSU load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple PSU load

OK, here it comes. Version 0,98, still missing a few loads and switchers. Will be able up to 520 W on 12 V, with 75W bulbs and modifications (much thicker conduct paths, couple extra connectors and with twice the airflow) up to 975 W.

Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Simple PSU load

Lovely design !!

Good enough for quick tests only..
    From the other hand, the faulty PSU it will shown problems even with just 20% of load.

I bet that one panel box and three digital volt meters will make your design more complete.

Comment

Why quick tests only? I have fan with at least 250 m^3/h (I have no idea what it is supposed to blow at 16 V really, similar models I found are 350 m^3/h rated, and I am connecting it between +5 and -12 V) blowing on this thing It is being connected to that cinch laying there. For 450+ W loads I can add two extra 9cm fans with 150 m^3/h each. And for 1 kW of load I have found Italian vehicle-type 12V fans with some 800 m^3/h airflow

I may add few readers later, sure, on the other hand…I can test voltage one by one, right The difference it makes between taking all voltage readings at the same time and between taking it one by one is somewhere at 0,000001 % level
      Last edited by Behemot; 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Good job on that.

But, be careful about the power resistors. You should drill holes through the PCB under the resistors, so there can be much more airflow around them. (They WILL brown/burn/carbonize the PCB if they are hot enough!!!)

-Ben
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Good idea. Have also been thinking bout some heatsinks if it would be too hot. Or I can just increase the airflow

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
            Why quick tests only?
            Lets say that ten years back that I was a crazy overclocker at the age of 33, I was close to make one analog like yours.

Now days the digital loads are more in fashion, and you have more control about acting cooling over one heatsink than an ceramic resistor.
            Attached Files

Comment

You would be quite surprised how many even professional testers use high passive load inside Sure, active has some advantages, but on the other hand it's complicated electronics. Of course, I have in plan to add some active load in future, I even have the circuits here somewhere for like two years, just add heatsink and go

Comment

Just find a way to take care of the heat and it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                X