Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightening in yard..what’s the chances it’s just a power board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightening in yard..what’s the chances it’s just a power board?

Lightening struck my back yard and blasted pretty much every electronic device I have including my two Samsung plasmas. I happen to like those tv's. Anyone one have any experience with big power surges? I am wondering if it is worth replacing the power boards or is there a really good chance it took everything out past the power supplies as well. In both cases, there is no stand by light. Neither tv will do anything at all. I pulled the rear panels and the fuses are good.

Thoughts?

Re: Lightening in yard..what's the chances it's just a power board?

Check the breaker for the outlet it's plugged into.

Comment

Thx I should have clarified that I’ve already done that. The outlet has power.

Comment

Lightning loves to kill mainboards. You will have to test the power supply to see if you have 5v standby voltage first. If so I would then try running the test patterns.
        Pictures and model numbers are a help too.

Comment

Ok I’ll get pics. The model is PN60E550D1FXZA. It actually took out a 3rd TV too a Sharpe 60” but that one I can hold the volume down and input buttons and it comes on (with the K of course) but it’s usable. I tried a Fact Init with it in service mode but it says ERR and then the whole screen turns red. I already replaced both of the plasma Samsung’s but would love to get my 60” plasma working and replace the injured Sharp with it.
          Last edited by BuggyMasters; 05-26-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I do have stand by power of 5.2 volts. Main board?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BuggyMasters; 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Unplug the tv. Unplug the ribbon from the mainboard. Put a piece of wire in holes 3 and 4 on logic board. Plug the tv back in and see if you have test patterns on the screen. If you do, the mainboard is bad.
              Attached Files

Comment

Disconnected ribbon. Jumped 3 and 4 on the logic board and plugged it back in. Still nothing. When I plugged it back in should I have expected to hear a click or something of it trying to turn on? Made no noise and screen stayed off with nothing displayed.

Comment

Now unfortunately you have to find the fault. Try unplugging the x and y mainboards and try turning it on.

Comment

Should I plug the ribbon back in before disconnecting other parts?

Comment

Yes. Pull wire from logic board too.

Comment

Tried a bunch of different combinations of things plugged in and not plugged in and nothing generated anything at all. Deader than a door nail.

Comment

I think your initial test would work however I need a way to tell the tv to turn on since that is controlled by the main board which I feel is bad. I believe I can provide a power on simulation to the power supply just need to find out which pins to jump.

Comment

Got your test to work! On these plasmas, the “turn on” feature is accomplished by taking the PS-ON voltage down to 0 volts from is “normal” voltage of about 3.6 (I.e. 0 volts makes the TV come on). I jumped pin 1 of the power connector for the main board to pin 5 which is ground. Put your jumper in place on 3-4 of the logic board, plugged it in, and lo-and-behold, the tv turned on and began the test sequences on the screen. Looks like bad main board it is.

Comment

I forgot about the PS ON jumper. For just under $80 you can get an unused mainboard from ebay.

Comment

Got a board coming. My 43” plasma had the same issue. Boards for it are real cheap so I got one for it too. These new tvs just can’t compete with the picture quality on a plasma. I’ll post back here after I get my new boards and they are confirmed working.

Comment

Board came for the 43” unit today. Started right up! Should have the board for my 60” on Thursday. Will report back.

Comment

Was it a Samsung?

Comment

Yes, both Samsung plasmas.

Comment

Good gosh. So I got the board for my 60” smart tv. Put it in and it powered on. There was a message in the top left of the screen that disappeared before I could read it. I’m thinking it was something about resolution. Then it went to the screen where it said no source which is expected because I didn’t have anything hooked up to it yet. So, I unplugged it and went and grabbed my satellite box. Hooked it up and turned it on and had no screen. I ran through a few things and then came to realize that he sent me a board from a 6500 series TV! I went back to the auction and confirmed that what was pictured in his ad was the correct board and he did in fact send me a different board. So now when I do the jumper test from above I no longer get the test patterns. I am hoping the wrong board simply sent a reprogramming signal to whatever tells the screen to display and when I get the correct board it will program it back. Really p1sses me off! It did work on first power up and it just didn’t work after I power cycled it. What are my chances that my theory will be correct vs that 6500 series wiping something out? The sound works fine. My tv is a 550 series. In specs the difference looks to be that my tv is 1080p vertical. The 6500 just says 1080p.
                                        Last edited by BuggyMasters; 06-08-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X