Do people still overclock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people still overclock?

Yeah it's free speed, but do people generally still overclock their computers risking instability, using more power/cooling, etc. or have people simply accepted stock speeds or perhaps it's pretty much impossible to overclock in general because CPUs are already at its limits, or perhaps it's not possible without surgery, ridiculous cooling, or signed firmware hacks nowadays?

Wondering if I should run my 2.67GHz C2Q at 3 or 3.2GHz and risk instability or corruption during the summer months as it's nice and cool now during the winter...

Re: Do people still overclock?

Honestly, the last system I overclocked was my Pentium 3 600E's (in a VP6 no less) that would run @ 800/133 with stock cooling and no issues whatsoever. Beyond that, everything I demanded from CPU's after that seemed to keep up with the software of the time without the need to risk cooking things.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

While for interactive jobs, overclocking tend to not be very noticeable, for batch jobs it adds up. Also if I could get 25% overclock on a quad core CPU, it's like getting a full fifth core for batch jobs ...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        While for interactive jobs, overclocking tend to not be very noticeable, for batch jobs it adds up. Also if I could get 25% overclock on a quad core CPU, it's like getting a full fifth core for batch jobs ...
        I suppose you answered your own question then.....but now I'm curious; batches of what? I remember overclocking for F@H and the yields were trivial considering the increased power consumption & heat...I didn't do it long.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

OC'ing still not dead. Especially with Intel. AMD, with Ryzen, especially with their 7 nm Ryzens, is now tricky!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

As I run Gentoo, other machines taking distcc jobs will speed up build/update process...

Obviously more speed will benefit me if there was no downside - just wondering if people are viewing if the downside outweighs the benefit. Fortunately this particular machine is fairly easy to overclock... but now for machines already at its limit, do people try to squeeze out that 5% anyway and risk instability?

Oh in terms of polling, if your computer is impossible to overclock even if you wanted to ... then it qualifies as "I don't overclock"...
            Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-01-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

but now for machines already at its limit, do people try to squeeze out that 5% anyway and risk instability?

Oh in terms of polling, if your computer is impossible to overclock even if you wanted to ... then it qualifies as "I don't overclock"...
              It's an art, usually ones that moan about instability (unless you're getting greedy and lost the chip lottery) are noobs, LOL.

It requires testing with Prime95 or Linpack (Linpack is the best with core-only OCs) and usually, you will need more Vcore, an error message, usually means not enough Vcore or the CPU core(s) can only run stable at a lower temp than a stock CPU, looks like a common phenomenon, especially with extreme overvolting of Vcore! (Where it's possible that a measly 60 C causes an error or crash!) Also, an error message can mean you exceeded the limit of your batch!
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I overclock most of my systems but only on demand.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  It's an art, usually ones that moan about instability (unless you're getting greedy and lost the chip lottery) are noobs, LOL.

It requires testing with Prime95 or Linpack (Linpack is the best with core-only OCs) and usually, you will need more Vcore, an error message, usually means not enough Vcore or the CPU core(s) can only run stable at a lower temp than a stock CPU, looks like a common phenomenon, especially with extreme overvolting of Vcore! (Where it's possible that a measly 60 C causes an error or crash!) Also, an error message can mean you exceeded the limit of your batch!
                  Meh....I don't moan & groan about it....it just doesn't excite me anymore.... I'm not demanding anything from my system(s) that stock speeds can't accomplish easily. To those whom choose to O/C their systems, I applaud the effort. I was one that had a water-cool system before you could just go buy the water cooling hardware....IE we had to fabricate it ourselves through machining & ingenuity......so anyone please tell me how creative you are when you just bolted together your bought-from-amazon pre-made cooling apparatus....
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    Meh....I don't moan & groan about it....it just doesn't excite me anymore.... I'm not demanding anything from my system(s) that stock speeds can't accomplish easily. To those whom choose to O/C their systems, I applaud the effort. I was one that had a water-cool system before you could just go buy the water cooling hardware....IE we had to fabricate it ourselves through machining & ingenuity......so anyone please tell me how creative you are when you just bolted together your bought-from-amazon pre-made cooling apparatus....
                    Amazon? I never bought any AIOs from there so far. For online, usually Newegg for me.

Also, your comment about you OC'ing, sounds just like the 7 nm Ryzens, it's hard to gain anything from them, especially trying a manual all-core OC! You could actually gain a major amount of performance with better RAM and XMP!

Sure looks like that, now! DDR4 tweaking resulting in FPS that looks just like a video card upgrade! (On YouTube)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      Amazon? I never bought any AIOs from there so far. For online, usually Newegg for me.

Also, your comment about you OC'ing, sounds just like the 7 nm Ryzens, it's hard to gain anything from them, especially trying a manual all-core OC! You could actually gain a major amount of performance with better RAM and XMP!

Sure looks like that, now! DDR4 tweaking resulting in FPS that looks just like a video card upgrade! (On YouTube)
                      Apparently it went over your head....so nevermind.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Apparently it went over your head....so nevermind.
                        I never got around to even trying custom liquid cooling, because stubborn me didn't think I needed it for my socket 462 Athlons. I guess I should have.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I was hoping for minimal cooling solutions - air only, will avoid liquid (include PC) or thermoelectric cooling... but people are still using overclocked daily driver machines here?

Mine are not (at the moment, at least)...

Comment

I don't feel like overclocking is worth it for my modern stuff. My modern computers apparently don't follow Intel's Turbo Boost recommendations (I've been told that the clock is supposed to drop after a while), so I guess that technically counts as an overclock (at least to Intel).

I did get my old Athlon XP laptop to run at 115MHz FSB, but I recently discovered that 3D stuff runs better if I decrease the maximum multiplier. I'm curious about how far it will overclock in a decent motherboard.

Comment

My machines that support "Turbo Boost" seems to generally indeed drop down in clock speed when idle, then again if the machine is running HLT instructions it doesn't really matter if it's running them at 4GHz or 1GHz, it's about the same either way. Most likely, especially under windows, it's probably some spyware or some antivirus keeping your machine running full throttle. Or even under Linux, the software used to check the current speed is also software and the machine will kick the speed back up to full speed to run it...

Comment

I have a 6700k @ 4.4

If I OC it's not to an extreme extent. Only thing I have OC'd the most is my video card. It's a 1070 ti OC'd to slightly over a 1080
                                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

My machines that support "Turbo Boost" seems to generally indeed drop down in clock speed when idle
                                  The clock still drops when idle, but I've been told that it's also supposed to drop after a few minutes under load. My laptop does that unless I use the "performance" mode, and then the CPU idles at 4.1GHz and drops to 3.6GHz under load.
                                  Last edited by lti; 03-01-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

It won't drop until it overheats actually. If your cooling system is good it should never drop.

Note that battery policy may change this. it could put a power limit due to battery consumption...
                                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-02-2021, 01:03 AM.

Comment

I decided to overclock two of my rigs

i7-2600K
                                      i7-5820K

So far I did get the i7-5820K to run at 4.3GHz and it seemed stable but I need a better cooler so I'm waiting for some parts to turn up - aused Noctua U14S with two original cooling fans, second hand was £32. it arrived but I am missing four little mounting bolts so now I'm waiting for those lol

The i7-2600K has a cracked plastic mount at the base of the heatsink so that's getting the Hyper 212 LED cooler off the 5820K as soon as I can swap them over.
                                      Last edited by dicky96; 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM.
                                      Follow me on YouTube
                                      ------------------
                                      Learn Electronics Repair
                                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

I hope not just because of this thread, or have you been doing all along?

Comment

Working...
                                        X