Hitachi 55HDS69 55" Plasma TV - No Picture But Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitachi 55HDS69 55" Plasma TV - No Picture But Sound

Picked up a bahemoth plasma TV not too long ago and just now getting around to looking at it.
    No picture but you hear the TV static (white noise) playing loud and clear.
    The back was already taken off (and no screws were provided) as the previous owner had already taken a look.
    But it seems they didn't get too far and just left it.

When I first took a look I was amazed at how pristine the inside looked.
    Its as if the TV had been in a time capsule.
    Caps looked like they were just pulled off the self.
    Copper coils had no sign of corrosion on them whatsoever.
    Not a speck of dust.
    Very beautiful.

I tested for VS and VA and saw nothing.
    A cursory look over all the boards did not reveal anything at all.
    On the power supply everything was getting voltage except the sustains.

I pulled the PS off and took a look at in on my bench.
    None of the fets were shorted and all of the solder joints were perfect.
    As if this TV had never been turned on.

I put the PS back in and went to look for a service manual which I found with ease online.

On page 51 there were was a quick troubleshooting guide on how to interpret the LED status lights on the I/O board but I found it sort of confusing on what the lights meant.
    In fact, the light pattern I was getting was not actually described in the guide.

Power supplies of today won't even power on if they detect a fault or short but this one seems to supply power to all systems except the panel so it stands to reason that the issue was with the panel or its boards.
    I disconnected the sustains and powered the TV up but the power supply didn't power up at all.
    I reconnected the sustains but pulled off the bottom buffer and got half a picture.
    I then replaced the bottom buffer and removed the top one.
    No picture.

So my issue is with my bottom buffer.
    I took it to the bench and tested it for shorts.
    I found one at the very end.

As you can see here the driver bubble up a little and this is where the short comes from.
    I then realized that this driver looks different than the others.
    It didn't have the protective gel around its pins and there was flux on the board which was uncharacteristic for such a pristine TV.
    This TV has been worked on and these chips have been replaced once before.

The markings on the original and replacement drivers are the same (TI SN755866).
    The soldering job looked descent (or at least better than I can currently do).

I am happy to have diagnosed the issue but now I am at a crossroads on what to do.
    I could order the driver and try my hand at soldering flat ICs as I sourly need the practice but then what.

I feel this TV needs to be put out to pasture.
    Its VERY heavy for a 55 inch television (130 lbs or 59kg), barely qualifies as HD at 1366 x 768 resolution and I came with no accessories like the stand, remote, etc.

That being said I have a bit of nostalgia for Hitachi plasma TVs.
    My first real TV purchase was a Hitachi Director's Series P60X901 60-inch plasma HDTV.
    Its still going strong at my mother's house and has given us very little problems (except a PS replacement a long time ago) and has outlasted several newer more advanced successors to the living room TV stand.
    Haha

So what do you guys think should be done with these TVs as we get them?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KYBOSH; 02-01-2023, 11:17 PM.

Re: Hitachi 55HDS69 55" Plasma TV - No Picture But Sound

they use 3 times more energy than a led lit tv, not a fan of energy hogs, can think of a few good things but not really worth it, they have good viewing angles, if you have a big family and can't get everyone at 12 o'clock or just prefer to spread out without sitting on top of everyone, plus your not likely to break the screen by tapping it like other newer fragile screen tvs will, usually less motion blur. downsides are numerous, heavy as a tank, might not blow over in a cat 1 hurricane, not compatible with the newest pretty much anything, plasma max out at 1080p which doesn't bother me, most people in movies and tv shouldn't be seen close up anyway because of the ugly factor.

Comment

many utube videos on soldering this chip - Great tv for basement (I have several of these). Get it working you can make stand - very easily. These sets are well built.

Comment

If you have hot air, you should try and get it working. Replace the $2 IC.
        I don't get anything that isn't at least 1080p now.

Comment

Since the ic is bad, I would carefully cut all the pins of the ic from the package (careful not to cut through to any traces), Then you may need hot air to release the body of the ic if it was soldered to the board.
          Then clean the board and make sure none of the traces are damaged or shorting. At this point you can try the board in the tv, you should get a picture with a black band about 3" wide where the missing ic is located, this will confirm the other ic's are ok, Now you can replace the ic, clean the flux off the ic and board, try the board in the tv, if all is ok, remove the board and silicone the pins like the original, let cure for a couple days and install the board and test.
          The previous repair likely would have lasted had they done a better solder job, cleaned the flux and silicone the pins
          Last edited by R_J; 02-02-2023, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your input! I actually just came across 6 of the exact same buffer ICs from a TV i accidentally damaged (broke the panel). They are still siliconed in-place. I consider this a very fortunate turn of events IF i am able to harvest the ICs without damaging them.

What is the best way to remove the silicone without deforming the pins of the chip?
            Attached Files

Comment

I found a pretty good video on how to do the whole procedure.
              Seems picking/scraping the silicone away is okay as the pins are securely soldered in place and nothing bad should happen as long as moderate care is taken.

https://youtu.be/RyLIrUpkDnY

Comment

After i put the kids to bed i went in and tried to replace the buffer IC.
                It took a few tries to get the right amount of solder on the pins but i think i did an okay job without the aid of magnification.

When i got the board back on the TV i saw some sparks under one side of the IC which looked like it could have come from solder bridges. See pic of flaming IC below

I took the board back to the bench and tried again. This time no sparks but there was a black/white bar and artifacts on the screen. Then after 1-2 minutes i started to smell somethibg burning. Sure enough the same IC was smoking bit not on fire).

So i went back to the bench and got a 2nd IC and installed it. I made an extra effort to ensure there were no bridges and fhe pins made solid contact with the pads. The biard was also tested for shorts.

Wheni installed ithe board and fired it up the exact same thing happened agian in the same places. Sparks on the same side of the IC. This time the atav didnt bither to display a picture.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on? Is my soldering bad or could there be something else wrong which is frying the IC?
                Attached Files

Comment

It could be, the photo isn't the clearest but i don't see any silicone which is used for insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    It could be, the photo isn't the clearest but i don't see any silicone which is used for insulation.
                    You are correct. No silicone was applied yet. Is it mandatory when operating thsse buffers even for short periods of time (like testing)???

Comment

It seems to you that the chip is not successfully planted in its place, the legs on the seat are shifted.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                        It seems to you that the chip is not successfully planted in its place, the legs on the seat are shifted.
                        Yes this was my first attempt. I went back and redid them much better but the same effect.

I'll give it another try tonight.

Thank you!

Comment

Well i think i have put this buffer board through one too many tries. I gave it one last shot today but the result were the same. The sparking i am seeing is carbon bridges from a spot where the top layer of the PCB was blown away from arcs in previous attempts.

I tried to scape it away but couldnt do much without compromising the traces and pads.
                          I discovered that hot glue stocks could be used as an insulator when silicone isnt available.
                          Ive also damaged some pads so thats pretty much makes it unless as i would have to run thin jumper lines and i have no interest in doing something like that in such small traces and pins.

I'll have a look for the boardto purchase online and its cheap enough i'll probably get it to bring this TV back to life. Otherwise i have a TV i can use for parts.

Happy to have learned something with this exercise. May have to invest in better tips and look into magnification if i want to do this sort of thing well in the future.
                          I com
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by KYBOSH; 02-03-2023, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X