Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razer Blade 15 no external display with attached screen disconnected from motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Razer Blade 15 no external display with attached screen disconnected from motherboard

Computer in question : Razer Blade 15 2020 Base Model
    Model# RZ09-03286E22
    BIOS CHIP: WINBOND W25Q128BV

What I'm trying to accomplish:
    I want the computer to properly boot with an external display with the attached display disconnected from the motherboard. I have a CH341A programmer and full capability of modifying the BIOS easily. I Have tried various setting changes to no Avail.

What I've tried thus far: Too much to note and I really dont remember everything I changed but here it goes.

W/Stock BIOS - 1.06:
    Disconnect the eDP cable from motherboard- no dice, no signal to external display
    Through testing I found if the attached display is connected but cable is removed after POST the external monitor keeps signal.

Customizing BIOS attempts:
    Primarily made changes under Setup > Chipset > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration

I have tried various combinations of changing "Primary Display" (both of them, there are 2) to PCI, PEG, AUTO, etc.
    Disabling Integrated graphics

then under > LCD
    Changing active LFP to - No eDP
    Primary / Secondary boot Display to EFP

Under Setup > Boot > CSM
    Disabled secure boot
    Under CSM changed "Video" to Legacy

Ive tried all at once, various combinations of each and nothin. May be some other options I attempted but just cant remember, anything that seemed relevant to boot displays, primary displays, etc.

Side note: During testing sometimes windows would boot and Id hear the welcome jingle, other times the laptop was stuck in a boot loop on its own. But never an external display signal. I did disable the integrated graphics driver in windows before testing just in case that made a difference.

Has anyone had luck on getting these laptops to work without the attached screen being connected or any ideas? I've wasted a whole day messing with the thing (not wasted when you're having fun right?) and dont want to give up on this task.

Reason I to want to do this:
    Computer has serious heat dissipation problems I believe heatsink related, want to build a custom case and may do some water cooling just for fun. Also the battery is just beginning to becoming a spicy pillow (to no surprise if you read r/Razer) and plan to retire the unit as portable and just make it a desktop at this point.

TLDR;

No external display signal when the laptop attached screen is disconnected from the motherboard. Various BIOS changes were tried but all for naught. Any information is helpful!

Re: Razer Blade 15 no external display with attached screen disconnected from motherb

SOLVED:
    About 15 total hrs of trial and failure (irrelevant but just wanted to share) I have gotten the laptop to boot the external display as primary (shows BIOS / POST screens) and does so with all attached display connectors removed from the motherboard.

Using AMIBCP to modify BIOS:
    Under Setup > Chipset > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration > LCD Control
    I set primary and secondary "Boot Display" to EFP (Not sure if this is necessary but havent had time to test without it selected).

What I believe the secret sauce was I enabled visibility of Each menu of
    Setup > Chipset > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration by selecting "USER" under the Access/Use options in AMIBCP. That way you can modify options directly on the computer and save to BIOS there.
    First boot up I went into the BIOS on the computer, go to Graphics configuration and under "Primary Display" set to PCI, and disable "Internal Graphics", all done on the attached display. Once you save and reboot the attached display no longer functions and all connectors can be removed and the laptop will boot as per usual but fully rely on the external connected display.

Hope this helps anyone in search of getting something like this working on a Razer Blade.

Comment

Originally posted by plyanthony View Post
      Re: Razer Blade 15 no external display with attached screen disconnected from motherb

SOLVED:
      About 15 total hrs of trial and failure (irrelevant but just wanted to share) I have gotten the laptop to boot the external display as primary (shows BIOS / POST screens) and does so with all attached display connectors removed from the motherboard.

Using AMIBCP to modify BIOS:
      Under Setup > Chipset > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration > LCD Control
      I set primary and secondary "Boot Display" to EFP (Not sure if this is necessary but havent had time to test without it selected).

What I believe the secret sauce was I enabled visibility of Each menu of
      Setup > Chipset > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration by selecting "USER" under the Access/Use options in AMIBCP. That way you can modify options directly on the computer and save to BIOS there.
      First boot up I went into the BIOS on the computer, go to Graphics configuration and under "Primary Display" set to PCI, and disable "Internal Graphics", all done on the attached display. Once you save and reboot the attached display no longer functions and all connectors can be removed and the laptop will boot as per usual but fully rely on the external connected display.

Hope this helps anyone in search of getting something like this working on a Razer Blade.
      Hi plyanthony, I have razer blade 15 2018 and it has broken screen as well. I have had taken off completely the screen before doing the mod you provided. However, the loading screen of razer and bios mode still not display on my external monitor. I used HDMI cable to connect it. Could you share iamge of complete .rom file of your changes. It would be easier for me to follow through. Thanks in advanced

Comment

Working...
      X