MSI MAG B550 Torpedo help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MAG B550 Torpedo help

My cousin gave me a free broken motherboard that would be an upgrade over my MSI B350 Tomahawk and I'm trying to fix it and I found the problem by burning my finger. It sits between the PCIE slots and reads "GS7133" and "RK1G9AKWA". Google shows me nothing about this or where to get a new one. As you can see I tried to get it out but my cheap Ebay hot air and solder iron just doesn't get it hot enough. I tried mixing the solder with my leaded solder it still won't come off. I'm afraid to use more hot air so I was thinking of using a dremel to grind the chip away and then using my soldering iron to remove the legs.

Can someone point me to where to get another one of these and also any advice on how to get this out?
    Attached Files

Re: MSI MAG B550 Torpedo help

Found the data sheet and the stupid thing has a pad underneath for ground. I also ordered 10 for $10 off Ebay which may take a couple of weeks. My plan is to use the Dremel to grid it down enough to reach that ground pad and then use my soldering iron to remove it.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...abd2305ab8.pdf
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/403616686967

Comment

please visit youtube channel of northridgefix.com for tips how to do the job. this guy does an amazing job in theese thongs and also teaches others how to do it the proper way... thanks Alex
      use good flux, to mix the solder was clever. i can give u the advice to use hot air brom the bottom until the whole board reaches temperature. u won´t do any damage to plastic parts if u do it this way. it´s possible i did it so few days ago on msi mpg350z gaming carbon
      Last edited by stormanimal83; 01-26-2023, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormanimal83 View Post
        please visit youtube channel of northridgefix.com for tips how to do the job. this guy does an amazing job in theese thongs and also teaches others how to do it the proper way... thanks Alex
        use good flux, to mix the solder was clever. i can give u the advice to use hot air brom the bottom until the whole board reaches temperature. u won´t do any damage to plastic parts if u do it this way. it´s possible i did it so few days ago on msi mpg350z gaming carbon
        I watch NorthRidgeFix religiously. Does anyone have a diagram for this motherboard? I took out the GS7133 successfully painful and also found a capacitor shorting to ground that I removed. The capacitor was going to "VIN" and from the GS7133 spec sheet it shows that it has a 10uf capacitor before going to ground. I also have a short on "VOUT" and that also has a 10uf capacitor before ground according to the spec sheet. I don't know where that capacitor is.

I don't have a thermal camera because they're expensive, but I can try spraying rubbing alcohol when I inject voltage. I'm also not sure how much of a ground is considering a short. The VOUT is a 100% shorting, but other sections of the board around the chipset are reading 20 Ohms on some capacitors. My multi-meter is beeping like there's a short. Maybe finding that other bad 10uf might remove the 20 Ohm shorts?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I watch NorthRidgeFix religiously. Does anyone have a diagram for this motherboard? I took out the GS7133 successfully painful and also found a capacitor shorting to ground that I removed. The capacitor was going to "VIN" and from the GS7133 spec sheet it shows that it has a 10uf capacitor before going to ground. I also have a short on "VOUT" and that also has a 10uf capacitor before ground according to the spec sheet. I don't know where that capacitor is.

I don't have a thermal camera because they're expensive, but I can try spraying rubbing alcohol when I inject voltage. I'm also not sure how much of a ground is considering a short. The VOUT is a 100% shorting, but other sections of the board around the chipset are reading 20 Ohms on some capacitors. My multi-meter is beeping like there's a short. Maybe finding that other bad 10uf might remove the 20 Ohm shorts?
          as u can see in my post i got rather same problem with mpg 350z gaming carbon board.... pch_phase only got resistance to ground like 40 ohms... i dont think thats ok...
          my laptop crashed and the thread is showing up 3 times now i´m sorry about that
          Last edited by stormanimal83; 01-28-2023, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormanimal83 View Post
            as u can see in my post i got rather same problem with mpg 350z gaming carbon board.... pch_phase only got resistance to ground like 40 ohms... i dont think thats ok...
            my laptop crashed and the thread is showing up 3 times now i´m sorry about that
            If 40 ohms isn't ok then 20 ohms is worse. I guess I can just inject voltage and see what hurts to touch?

Comment

I tried injection voltage to the VIN pin that was for the "GS7133" and nothing. No smoke, no heat, no nothing. I started to look for another "GS7133" and I did and that one also has a shorted VIN pin. I started looking around the board with my meter looking for shorts and I found a few SMD capacitors that were shorted, except that they weren't when I removed them. The short is someplace else. I'm thinking that the two "GS7133's" on the board have VIN's going to the same source that could be shorted. Can't be both just so happen to be shorted? This is where a diagram helps because I injector 3.8V and my tool started to burn.

Comment

Post the product number of the motherboard, that way it is easier to find boardview files. Without them, i won't even bother playing hide and seek with faulty elements.

Comment

Originally posted by grosseader View Post
                  Post the product number of the motherboard, that way it is easier to find boardview files. Without them, i won't even bother playing hide and seek with faulty elements.
                  Where would I find that? As far as I can see it's a MSI MAG B550 Torpedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    Where would I find that? As far as I can see it's a MSI MAG B550 Torpedo.
                    Look for a model number and revision, starting with MS- ,like MS-7C91 rev 3.0 or similar
                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                      Look for a model number and revision, starting with MS- ,like MS-7C91 rev 3.0 or similar
                      Sorry it's been a while. I can't see anything like this on the board. Maybe 13C91-3.0? Underneath has P&Q 2044 CM4 94V-0 E162264.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                        Thanks .That really helped.

Comment

Hey it's me again, been a year. Gonna try another attempt to fix this, and by fix I mean I still need a diagram for boardviewer. If anyone knows where I can find one, please share?

https://geniusmind4u.blogspot.com/p/...-download.html

Comment

Originally posted by grosseader View Post

Ok I'm an idiot. Took me a year to see this. The product number was staring at me in my face. It's a MS-7C91 VER:3.0 . I was looking at the GS7133 IC near the PCIE because it has a short to ground for VOUT and then I see this. The GS7133 up top of the motherboard has a short to VIN. Can you find the schematic for me?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240110_121805951.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	3176178

Comment

It should be an LDO chip. you can find MS-7C91 boardview in the forum. just search for it. someone should already post it.

Comment

Originally posted by McWhitePink View Post
                                It should be an LDO chip. you can find MS-7C91 boardview in the forum. just search for it. someone should already post it.
                                I tried searching MS-7C91 and just this thread came up. LDO chip, you mean the GS7133? Those weren't bad. I was looking at the connector to see which if any is going to ground and +3.3V, a couple of +5V, PG, -5V, and +12 are going to ground. Plus there's a whole bunch of capacitors and stuff around the B550 chip itself that are shorted, so I'm thinking the B550 chip is bad. I've tried injecting in 1.8V and 3V on like the VIN and VOUT lines and I can't find anything getting hot. I don't know 100%, but if the B550 is gone then there's no point trying to fix this board.

Comment

I have 7c91 boardview, but cannot post it right now, I can post it later today. Don't think the chipset could be damaged easily. You should try to inject the voltage at the output of the GS7133 though.

Comment

This is the boardview file
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by McWhitePink View Post
                                      This is the boardview file
                                      Thank you, this is a big help. I'm using OpenBoardView since I use Linux Mint and it seems to work. All the shorts I've found seem to be connected and it's called 3VSB. Both GS7133 IC's are connected to each other but one is VIN and other is VOUT. Doesn't look like this goes to the B550 chip itself, so that's good. I do have a tool to inject voltage but the tool itself starts to smell like burning electronics. I really wish thermal cameras weren't expensive. Maybe I can visually look where each of the 3VSB lines end up and hope I can see visible damage?

Comment

Didn't find the cause of the short but I found this. I thought for certain this might have been the cause of the short because one of the 3VSB lines runs to this but the two that look shorted aren't the 3VSB. I thought that this might have just shorted out the entire component and thus taking the 3VSB down with it, but nope. Took a lot of force with an exacto knife to get that chunk of metal out. I then removed it and nothing on it is shorted plus the 3VSB short still exists. I wonder if that's was like that from factory or did my cousin who used to own this board drop some liquid metal and then the connection cooked it rock hard? If that's from the factory then I question MSI's quality.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240113_022331323.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.88 MB ID:	3177925

Comment

Working...
                                        X