Dell xps 8940 bios master password request / bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell xps 8940 bios master password request / bypass

Looking for anybody that can advise me how to proceed as I sold a Dell XPS 8940 registered to me to a third party; who subsequently returned the item with an enabled BIOS password and does not return communication requests.
    Is there anybody who can access the master pw for this system? (Service tag 60QVNK3) Or is there a chip I can flash or edit with a ch3413a device/vertyanov jig? Thanks for any help you can provide with this issue. I requested the Master PW from the Dell support portal and was informed that I had been placed in the "paid support queue", as my warranty has expired despite the computer being barely over a year old (late 2020 purchase).

Fingers crossed
    -BTK (not that btk, bobo the klown you sick ***** :P)

Re: Dell xps 8940 bios master password request / bypass

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...-bios-password

Before you begin, follow the Safety Precautions When Working with Electronic and Electrical Equipment.
    Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the computer.
    Locate the password reset jumper (PSWD) on the system board.
    Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper-pins.
    Power on without the jumper plug to clear the password.
    Wait until the desktop is loaded and then shut down the computer and replace the jumper plug in its original location.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...n-dell-systems

In most PCs you can clear the BIOS password by taking out the CMOS battery for a while. However, this is not exactly the case for Dell xps 8940 desktop PC. It happens to be that there’s an additional step for this Dell desktop, there’s a jumper called PSWD located close to the motherboard’s power supply connector.

After the jumper is removed, the BIOS password can be reset by just removing the CMOS battery (CR2032) from the motherboard for a few moments and then putting it back in. Before touching anything inside the motherboard, make sure you unplug the power cable and ground yourself with a wrist-grounding strap to dissipate static electricity from the motherboard.
    Last edited by captainKKK; 01-07-2023, 09:34 AM.

Comment

You dont need any utility to clear the NVRAM, to do this all you need is
      enter the BIOS and put on caplock, scroll lock and num lock and then hit alt
      e + alt f and alt b system then reboots and the nvram is cleared

Comment

If worse comes to worse, then these guys can probably do it for free...https://www.bios-mods.com/

Comment

I am the guy with the Dell Computer that has the bios locked with an admin password. The motherboard in this XPS8940 may be a different version, as there is no jumper for PSWD as described. You can see lands on the mother board where there may have been a jumper, but nothing is there, nor is the board labled (PSWD).

I tried taking out the cmos anyway for a couple minutes (power supply unplugged) but bios still is locked up with admin password.

I tried using a bootable USB to try and load BIOS from boot menu, but BIOS comes back that it needs admin password to proceed.

Really appreciate the help !

Originally posted by captainKKK View Post
          https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...-bios-password

Before you begin, follow the Safety Precautions When Working with Electronic and Electrical Equipment.
          Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the computer.
          Locate the password reset jumper (PSWD) on the system board.
          Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper-pins.
          Power on without the jumper plug to clear the password.
          Wait until the desktop is loaded and then shut down the computer and replace the jumper plug in its original location.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...n-dell-systems

In most PCs you can clear the BIOS password by taking out the CMOS battery for a while. However, this is not exactly the case for Dell xps 8940 desktop PC. It happens to be that there's an additional step for this Dell desktop, there's a jumper called PSWD located close to the motherboard's power supply connector.

After the jumper is removed, the BIOS password can be reset by just removing the CMOS battery (CR2032) from the motherboard for a few moments and then putting it back in. Before touching anything inside the motherboard, make sure you unplug the power cable and ground yourself with a wrist-grounding strap to dissipate static electricity from the motherboard.

Comment

I think I tried this correctly:
            from BIOS page enable caplock, scroll lock and num lock then hit:
            alt e, then hit alt f and then alt b ?

When I do that nothing happens, I must be doing it wrong.

Please advise.

Originally posted by captainKKK View Post
            You dont need any utility to clear the NVRAM, to do this all you need is
            enter the BIOS and put on caplock, scroll lock and num lock and then hit alt
            e + alt f and alt b system then reboots and the nvram is cleared

Comment

Working...
            X