Samsung PN59D8000 Plasma - Dead Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN59D8000 Plasma - Dead Screen

Got my hands on another non-working TV this weekend.

Person I got it from says he heard a load POP and the picture died.
    Nothing to see when I opened up the back.
    I found a single thread about this model on this forum and in it @dick_barton provided a very useful Fast Track Troubleshooting guide.

I followed the steps and found that my power supply was good (good Va & Vs) but only after unplugging the X & Y Boards.

I narrowed the problem to the Y-Sus board and found shorted IGBT (RJP30E3). There were also two other casualties nearby. A resistor and a transistor.

Im looking for the PN59D8000 Service Manual or at least a very high resolution pic of this board so I can identify what the markings on these components are/were.

Would anyone happen to have either the Service Manual or know the identify of these components I need to replace?
    Thank in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung PN59D8000 Plasma - Dead Screen

can you post a picture of the whole back.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      can you post a picture of the whole back.
      Thanks for the assist Sir.
      Here is the back minus the Y -Sus.

Im not sure which one of these numbers is the chassis code.
      Attached Files

Comment

check all the same things on the x board that you did on the y board, also check both y buffer boards for shorts, buffer board testing example there for any that need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oq2MsU0XOQ

Comment

check all the same things on the x board that you did on the y board, also check both y buffer boards for shorts, buffer board testing example there for any that need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oq2MsU0XOQ
          Thank you for the advice Sir.
          Went through and checked the buffer boards and they were okay.
          The X-sus were blown all to hell.

Five IGBTs were shorted!
          Looks like I'll be ordering a 10-pack from China.
          Never seen a whole series shorted like this.

Any ideas what might have cause this?
          Ive done a cursory scan of other components and nothing has stood out to me yet.
          Attached Files

Comment

not exactly sure, they work pretty hard, guess they just wear out after many years, the thermal paste gets old and drys out making things hotter, anything on a heatsink runs hotter, heat seems to be the main killer of components.

Comment

Wanted to get you guy's help in identifying two of these fried SMDs.
              Bcos I dont have the Service manual, another board identical board or even a high res picture to verify what these SMDs are I have to go in and try to visually discern what they were.

The first one is a SOT23 with the marking RK... but space for something at the end. I found another one like it on the board but I cant make out the markings at the end of the K.

I believe this one is a 2N7002K from LiteON but I am not sure.

The second one is a resistor which looks like it has a marking of 150 but it could also be 130. I found another 150 on the board but no other 130. I tried to take a reading of it on & off the board but it was toast (fluctuating readings).

I've attached pics of the SMDs in question as well as the good ones I believe are the same.

Please let me know what you think!
              Attached Files

Comment

what are the first eight numbers on the white sticker on the x board?

Comment

Thank you for the response Sir

That would be KB 780A A1...
                  See attached for full sticker.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just a quick note (as I reread your message).
                    Im not sure it was a typo but you asked for my x-board sticker number but I need help identify SMDs on the Y-board (which is where the number I provided came from).

Hope this helps but if you indeed need the x-board number just let me know and I can get that as well.

Thanks again

Comment

ok, I must have misread, thought you meant the x board.

Comment

Wanted to send an SOS to my Badcap Veterans out there who might have or know where I can get a complimentary copy of the Service Manual for this unit.

In it is will likely have the ID of the components that were destroyed.
                        I really dont want to take a chance on guessing what the parts are...even if its an educated and reasonable guess. Could do way more harm than good to this unit.

Thank you in advance!

Comment

I was lucky enough to come across another D8000 a few weeks ago.
                          Its been sitting on the side lines until I had some time.
                          Tonight was the night.

This D8000 had standby lights but no picture or sound. I did the troubleshooting test and found the power supply to be faulty.
                          Bcos the first D8000 had a good power supply I swapped that in and the new TV fired right up. Excellent. No apparent issues with the sustains or buffers.

I then put the Power Supply back on the original D8000 along with the sustains from the new TV. The original TV fired right up as well. Good! No damages screens or issues with the buffers.

I took the faulty power supply to the bench and had a closer look at it. I couldn't find anything wrong with it while it was on the TV but it only took a minute for me to see what the issue was: Bad Solder Joints on the Transformer. I did happen to notice slight burn marks on those pins from the other side (while it was still on the chassis) but it didn't raise a very big concern for me. Well now I know that's a big red flag.

You guys be sure to have a look at how it looks on the top and how it also looks on the bottom. You maybe able to easily find your problem by spotting these clues.

After touching up all solder joints on the transformer I returned the board to the TV with all working boards and it fired right up.

Excellent!

I then went back to the original working/good power supply and had a look at its solder joints. Sure enough it had the beginnings of a bad solder connections (see small cracks).
                          Attached Files

Comment

So now that I have a reference sustain board I used it to identify the SMDs that were blown away and I couldn't reliably make an identification from its remains (see Post #7).

Lucky day today!

The marking on the resistor is 150 (15Ω) and the transistor's markings reads "RKE" which is a Shunt Voltage Reference IC Fixed 3V V ±2% 15 mA SOT-23-3 (part number LM4040EIM3-3.0).

Im going to do some more research to see why these components and FETs failed and see if there is anything else I need to test/change. If I recall correctly MOSFETs popping has to do with a signaling issue (PWM IC?) but I will have to double check on that as I haven't worked on plasmas in a while.

Good progress today!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by KYBOSH; 02-01-2023, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X