Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Chrome Dropping Support for Windows 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome Dropping Support for Windows 7?

Someone told me this today.....too lazy to consult 'the google'....any truth to this?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Google Chrome Dropping Support for Windows 7?

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Someone told me this today.....too lazy to consult 'the google'....any truth to this?
    Yes, Chrome support for windows 7 (and 8.1) is scheduled to end Jan 15 2023:

https://cloud.google.com/blog/produc...rise-customers

https://www.techradar.com/news/googl...-so-update-now

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/tech...or%20the%20OS.

Comment

Thanks for the info.... The fella that was telling me this is a bit of a weirdo....but I figured he was telling me right. I only have one Win7 system remaining in my active fleet; which is THIS ONE... It is packed with utilities and things I use regularly around the shop. Reloading the OS on this would be a nightmare! I'm still running Waterfox on it...and to my knowledge, Mozilla hasn't announced EOS for Win7...but I know it has to be coming....it's what I've said all along, when browser support dries up, Win7 is done....

FWIW, today I dropped Win7 from my workbench AIO (Lenovo M90Z) and installed Linux on it. It had Win7, 4gb RAM and a spinning HDD....it was getting pretty agonizing to use. It's a first gen I5 @ 3.2GHz. It does great with 8gb, a SSD, and Mint 21.1. Pretty much all the browsing stations around the shop are Linux-based now.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Even Microsoft have scheduled an end to W7 . One thing for sure , XP and Vista are dead and buried longtime ago .
        It's always fun yet to install 'em on old computers and laptops , have the agony of incompatible browsers and software . Also , I have 2 TVs for Compaq laptops that doesn't work but on 32Bit XP and older , and I'm not ready to give up on them yet ..You know how those are useful for many purposes .

I have many external hards anyway that contain millions of old programs and drivers , even games . 30 GB for Windows updates ,etc , so I'm not so much worried ...

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
          Even Microsoft have scheduled an end to W7 . One thing for sure , XP and Vista are dead and buried longtime ago .
          It's always fun yet to install 'em on old computers and laptops , have the agony of incompatible browsers and software . Also , I have 2 TVs for Compaq laptops that doesn't work but on 32Bit XP and older , and I'm not ready to give up on them yet ..You know how those are useful for many purposes .

I have many external hards anyway that contain millions of old programs and drivers , even games . 30 GB for Windows updates ,etc , so I'm not so much worried ...
          I don't know why, but I love diddling with Windows NT and Win2k on older systems. NT4 can run up to Firefox 2.0.0.20, you'd be amazed what will still display on that. Win2k can run up to Firefox 12, and again, amazing what will still run on that. XP, I am not sure where firefox caps out, but I know I was running 45 on it....probably goes higher than that.....but any of the above-mentioned OS's, I'd be very careful with them on the internet!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I don't know why, but I love diddling with Windows NT and Win2k on older systems. NT4 can run up to Firefox 2.0.0.20, you'd be amazed what will still display on that. Win2k can run up to Firefox 12, and again, amazing what will still run on that. XP, I am not sure where firefox caps out, but I know I was running 45 on it....probably goes higher than that.....but any of the above-mentioned OS's, I'd be very careful with them on the internet!
            Yep , those aren't forgotten yet here too .. Opera is always a savior , more tolerant than others !! .. I keep anyway many older offline versions of Firefox Mozilla .
            About Internet , I noticed hackers and bad people are missed on XPs and similar , probably out of mercy and/or lack of interest .

Comment

still rocking win98se and winxp here with k-meleon (with tls support so the internet works again on win98 with almost all sites that enforce https), new moon, mypal and 360 extreme explorer (decrapified version with chinese spyware removed).

im sure roytam and some others will continue to make updated browsers to support legacy oses like win7 like they did with winxp. this will continue so long as m$ refuses to make a decent os to "encourage" people to upgrade. at this moment, upgrading to a newer m$ os is actually downgrading...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                im sure roytam and some others will continue to make updated browsers to support legacy oses like win7 like they did with winxp. this will continue so long as m$ refuses to make a decent os to "encourage" people to upgrade. at this moment, upgrading to a newer m$ os is actually downgrading...
                I skipped the whole win95/98 era (hated them both with a passion) and jumped to NT4 from DOS...and from NT4 to Win2k.

Any M$ OS for the consumer market after 7 I never really warmed up to. I still run some M$ Server OS's carved into workstations...they don't have all the M$ 'nanny' BS in there....but honestly, I've been migrating to Linux on most stuff that don't have a special need for Windows; IE, utils or other weird programs that I can't get to run on Linux. M$ has really gone down the toilet over the last decade. The OS war is over, they know it....plenty of viable options out there besides Windows....so I guess they have to make up the lost revenue somewhere....

This message brought to you from Mint 21.1.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

wondering if others like chromium etc will carry on supporting . well that's if chromium even works with windows ..

Comment

It looks like firefox might extend support for win7
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      It looks like firefox might extend support for win7
                      I hope they do, for a little while longer anyway....if Firefox does, odds are so will waterfox.... Just want to squeak a couple more years out of my 'resource system'...It's still used every day.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

The OS war is over, they know it....plenty of viable options out there besides Windows....so I guess they have to make up the lost revenue somewhere....
                        You want to manage all your enterprise network machines? Active Directory.
                        You need servers to do so and more? Windows Server.
                        You need Windows Applications?(majority of corporate and productivity software) - Windows.
                        Actually, there aren't any viable options out there, except Windows. Unless we are talking about niche solutions. When you have software without analogue and you are kind of vendor locked, there aren't any other options. If your business critical software runs on Windows 1000 and requires 1 000 000USD Microsoft SQL server, but you need it to run your business and make money - you will pay, because you have no other choice. The only people, who really have choice...don't use serious business critical software...and their business doesn't depend on certain software package. Imagine just the costs of training 10 000 employees to use any other software, except the one you are already using.
                        And neither Apple MacOS, nor any Linux distro can provide anything remotely as flexible as Windows Active Directory. Imagine installing smart card drivers on 500 or 1000 machines automatically by deploying them via active directory vs doing it manually.
                        Unfortunately, that's the sad truth.
                        Last edited by televizora; 12-31-2022, 01:14 PM.
                        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                          You want to manage all your enterprise network machines? Active Directory.
                          You need servers to do so and more? Windows Server.
                          You need Windows Applications?(majority of corporate and productivity software) - Windows.
                          Actually, there aren't any viable options out there, except Windows. Unless we are talking about niche solutions. When you have software without analogue and you are kind of vendor locked, there aren't any other options. If your business critical software runs on Windows 1000 and requires 1 000 000USD Microsoft SQL server, but you need it to run your business and make money - you will pay, because you have no other choice. The only people, who really have choice...don't use serious business critical software...and their business doesn't depend on certain software package. Imagine just the costs of training 10 000 employees to use any other software, except the one you are already using.
                          And neither Apple MacOS, nor any Linux distro can provide anything remotely as flexible as Windows Active Directory. Imagine installing smart card drivers on 500 or 1000 machines automatically by deploying them via active directory vs doing it manually.
                          Unfortunately, that's the sad truth.
                          I was not talking about the enterprise markets, but rather the consumer.... Windows server still has it's place.....but I have noticed that a lot of 'big business' is not running Windows.... I'll use Lowes for example....go peek at one of their terminals, they are all linux. Granted, I don't know what they're talking to in the background or on the 'mother ship'....but all their terminals throughout their stores are 100% not windows. I see this in a lot of places, Lowes just popped into my mind when reading your post.

I've also noticed a lot of EDU's are steering away from M$ these days; being replaced with Chromebooks
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

M$ edge for windows 7 had a end of support warning banner everytime it started, an added registry key took care of that warning.

Comment

Good riddance!

When this happens, I will no longer have to worry about anyone who I've set up with Windows 7 to bog down their PC with this crap (Chrome). I always install Firefox Quantum and Pale Moon on Win7 (FF for better compatibility, and Pale Moon just as an alternative or when someone wants to launch a browser quickly and not wait a decade for updates to install, which FF does like to do quite frequently.)

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                              still rocking win98se and winxp here with k-meleon (with tls support so the internet works again on win98 with almost all sites that enforce https), new moon, mypal and 360 extreme explorer (decrapified version with chinese spyware removed).

heck yeah buddy!

I'm also still rockin' Windows XP and Mypal. Haven't tried the new FF Quantum-based Mypal yet, though. I imagine that would make Windows XP quite capable of being used for browsing again. The limitation with the older Pale Moon -based Mypal is that, like Pale Moon, doesn't scale at all on multi-core/thread CPUs. But in my case, I haven't needed that yet either, as I'm still rocking an old Pentium 4 as a D.D. PC. A bit slower (yet much faster than Windows 10 on a regular HDD, LOL!), but still gets things done. Back in 2019 or thereabouts when I didn't know about Mypal, I though I'd just try to push that PC up to 2020 and then upgrade. Then someone on here mentioned Mypal, I tried it, and haven't looked back since. XP is still a perfectly-capable OS with the right hardware. I've warmed up to Win7 a little more, but still can't replace my XP. 7 just has too many bugs and annoyances that XP doesn't. I also see more and more people on retro PC forums now rocking XP as a daily driver.

Comment

^
                                Where in the blue frack have you been?!?
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

^
                                  Where in the blue frack have you been?!?
                                  Lol sorry.
                                  Would you believe it, mostly at home.
                                  No really, though.

Sorry for the "disappearing without a trace". Was just going through a few small... "hurdles" in life, if I can call them that (nothing major by most normal people's standards.) Still am, but it's all starting to clear up a little better now. In the last year, though, some of these were just driving me crazy. As a result, I couldn't even sit down to write a single word. At some point, I even stopped bothering to go online at all. Didn't really mean to close up, but I slipped for a bit and that's what ended up happening. Then I realized last week, "it's almost next year" and I still hadn't made it back on here.

Gonna be a fun one with starting to clean my mailbox as a start.

Anyways, happy new years to you and everyone here!

Comment

I was not talking about the enterprise markets, but rather the consumer.... Windows server still has it's place.....but I have noticed that a lot of 'big business' is not running Windows.... I'll use Lowes for example....go peek at one of their terminals, they are all linux. Granted, I don't know what they're talking to in the background or on the 'mother ship'....but all their terminals throughout their stores are 100% not windows. I see this in a lot of places, Lowes just popped into my mind when reading your post. I've also noticed a lot of EDU's are steering away from M$ these days; being replaced with Chromebooks
                                    First of all, Happy New Year. I wish you luck, health and be well.
                                    Second, I can't say anything about Lowes, as I haven't ever been there.
                                    But in my country, terminals are running Windows. ATM-s are running Windows. Most apps are written for Windows. Business critical software is written to be ran on Windows. If Lowes invested money into writing their own business solution/terminal and server software/ that's one thing. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of businesses that can afford that amount of money.
                                    EDU veers off M$, only because they can afford it and because they can save money. Chromebooks are cheap, slow and generally useless garbage. The sad thing is that there are certain pieces of commercial software that have de facto become a standard. Nobody is interested in your knowledge of Gimp or Libre Office, but Microsoft Office and Photoshop. And those companies would rather vendor lock you, instead of giving you any kid of choice.
                                    Windows is my primary platform for programming, for example. I have already written several applications doing important stuff. It isn't realistic to expect users to switch to Linux, as the software that is needed just doesn't run on Linux. And that's how the train keeps rolling. Inertia.
                                    What I don't understand is the design choices of Microsoft. They could have just made changes in the backend while not messing with the UI. The start menu/interface of the Windows10 are still buggy, till this days. They have released Win11, while they still haven't fixed Win10. And the ridiculous requirements of Win11... Machines will 8GB of RAM, SSD-s and 4-5Gen Intel processors can't run Windows11. Hellou, most of your paying customers are enterprise clients. Do you seriously expect that they won't stick to Win7 or 10 and will pay you, if you want them to replace thousands of machines and servers just to browse SMB shared dirs and open Spreadsheets?
                                    Consumer markets? MAS fixes your Windows until 2038. Haha. Consumers don't care that much. It's the businesses that are really impacted by the poor MS strategies.
                                    These days MS are morons. Yet, we will continue to suffer, as business critical software runs on Windows. That's it. Sadly.
                                    The only browser on Linux which supports Smart Card auth is actually FF. And it isn't that easy to setup it. Compared to Windows.
                                    You need Smart Card/E-Signature to access government services? Tough Luck, if you use Linux. Why? Because the companies that provide Auth services..their software is written for Windows. If there is Linux support, it isn't that good. In the recent times, they are writing stuff for Android too. But the situation with the Android isn't that pretty either.
                                    Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    I've warmed up to Win7 a little more, but still can't replace my XP. 7 just has too many bugs and annoyances that XP doesn't. I also see more and more people on retro PC forums now rocking XP as a daily driver.
                                    XP doesn't run well in any environment, where it is required to communicate with any newer version of windows and there are significant numbers of bugs in XP too. It's showing it's age.
                                    Like XP-s cant open SMB shares on Win2016 and newer or it's slow as hell, because of poor or non-existent SMB1 support. Not only this, but SMB 1 is security concern on it's own.
                                    Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2023, 04:47 AM.
                                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                      They have released Win11, while they still haven't fixed Win10. And the ridiculous requirements of Win11... Machines will 8GB of RAM, SSD-s and 4-5Gen Intel processors can't run Windows11.
                                      If you're crafty enough it can. Here it is on essentially a Core2Quad (harpertown Xeon.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=96

On any I-series, 2nd gen and up, simply remove the security checks when creating the boot media, 11 will install AND update just fine.... That said, I really don't care for 11 all that much....heck, I never really warmed up to 10 either. Their interfaces aren't bad...it's just the usual M$ nannyware & spyware....the reason I run server versions when in situations I can't use Linux.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        Lol sorry.
                                        Would you believe it, mostly at home.
                                        No really, though.

Sorry for the "disappearing without a trace". Was just going through a few small... "hurdles" in life, if I can call them that (nothing major by most normal people's standards.) Still am, but it's all starting to clear up a little better now. In the last year, though, some of these were just driving me crazy. As a result, I couldn't even sit down to write a single word. At some point, I even stopped bothering to go online at all. Didn't really mean to close up, but I slipped for a bit and that's what ended up happening. Then I realized last week, "it's almost next year" and I still hadn't made it back on here.

Gonna be a fun one with starting to clean my mailbox as a start.

Anyways, happy new years to you and everyone here!
                                        I hope all is well and that you stick around. Your posts have been missed....and quite a few of us were concerned....see the jiroy thread in VIP.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X