old Bravia double fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old Bravia double fail?

Only thing is that the symptoms I have do not match the reflow guy - the reflow guy said that he at least got the logo to show up, which is a LOT farther than what I'm getting - all I get is the solid green power LED that never blinks until power off, and the red error LED stays blacked out.

My USB1 1GB sticks don't seem to do anything with it nor the 1GB SD card in USB2 adapter.

No sound whatsoever coming from the speakers so this seems to imply a bigger problem over the tcon or panel...

Comment

did you try another tcon? when I updated my old kdl I used a sony 4 gb thumb drive.

Comment

no, because a bad tcon would be a double failure, since having a bad tcon/panel would not stop the backlight from lighting? Still have to focus on bad mainboard or perhaps power is not good.

I need to find a better place to put the TV - closer to my test equipment, still haven't probed it with a scope for signs of life.

Comment

ok, my best guess and the easy thing to try is post #79.

Comment

Anyone know... if I did use a "wrong" board and despite it "fits" (i.e., all connectors are compatible, etc.) what would the symptoms be due to the anti-repair policy Sony did for some or perhaps all of their TVs?
            Would I get a blinking power or status LED? Should the backlight come on and print on the screen "ERROR: UNAUTHORIZED REPAIR DETECTED SYSTEM HALTED" or something like that?

Comment

LOL, I don't think you'll get a readout like that, if the boards not compatible it usually just won't work. Can you show both boards and the stickers on each.

Comment

Also whenever you change out mainboards in sonys, you need to do a firmware update/pair, you prolly already know, just in case others looking on need it.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-11-2023, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Actually that will be a problem, the assumption is if you get the board for another model, it will assume the personality of that other model.

As pictured, the current board:
                  1-879-020-11

"almost" doppelgangers
                  1-879-020-12
                  1-879-020-13
                  1-879-239-11
                  1-879-239-13

Not doppelgangers but also appears to have very similar port placement
                  1-879-224-14

There are probably more. Main thing I'm going to look for closely before purchasing is ensuring the LVDS connector matches. And of course this is a experiment, I'm not going to pay full price to see if it works or not, better be a fairly substantial discount for it! (Unless someone says it will work!)

Note: these all have different features like USB or maybe even "smart" circuitry but the boards power and tcon connectors seem very much alike as well as port placement like HDMI, VGA, LVDS, TOSLINK, component, S-video, tuner, etc., etc., are all in the same place... My board even has pads for some of these ports but not soldered on.
                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-11-2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

"almost" doppelgangers
                    1-879-020-12
                    1-879-020-13
                    1-879-239-11
                    1-879-239-13 Can't go by these alone, they are just what they start with then they populate to their needs, look at the long white stickers.

Comment

Did you post the panel number? should be on the metal chassis someplace.

Comment

The main and tcon have to be compatible with the panel, I don't think there's as much of a problem matching tcon to mainboard, but they do need to match, at least not as problematic as trying to match the newer ones, so doing away with the stand alone tcon is both a blessing and a curse in that way.

Comment

Speaking of tvpartstoday.com since someone badmouthed it recently... are their part numbers typically accurate? Searching around there are some parts there that have multiple part numbers like the A1xxxxxxA ... and they're from different TV models and sizes!

Ugh. need to repair something else today however. stupid coolant leak ...

Comment

Oh the irony!

Yesterday someone was CL'ing a *free* Bravia that had a potential identical donor board. I passed on it because my car was in need of repair. And that TV was 100% working too... Figure I leave it for someone else to take, alas, still need a board.

Needless to say it's gone now like most free working TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                              Needless to say it's gone now like most free working TVs.
                              No worries, there will be more / another one, I'm sure.
                              No one bats an eyelash to throw away an old LCD TV anymore, it seems.

I'm still cleaning the "aftermath" of scrap/junk TVs from just 2 Fall/Winter seasons worth of collecting. Parts everywhere, and I still have quite a few non-working whole TVs. I did at least button-up the ones that needed simple fixes, though. One is in use as a monitor right now and another I'm leaving behind as a "gift" for my to-be tenants (I had an extra TV wall mount and extra 40" 720p TV without a stand that's a slight upgrade from the 32" 720p TV they have for their bedroom.) Just gotta fetch a remote for some of these now. Speaking of which - grr... why can't people throw away / give away the remotes with the broken TVs? Or rather, why can't people not loose their original remotes all the time? I see this so often now, where I go to someone's house and they ask me how to change a setting on the TV, then proceed to shove their Amazon Firestick remote in my way and tell me that this is the one and only remote they have for the TV, and claim it's also the remote that came with the TV.
                              - Oh, but are you sure this is not our TV's remote?
                              - Yes. :annoyedface:

Comment

BTW, Sony's "firmware" image is in bits and pieces, anyone happen to know how to assemble them into one image? Or perhaps it seems that there are pieces of the image that are not in the distributed image, some needs to remain on the chip on the board (boot block?)

Comment

Working...
                                X