Acer Swift SF314-54 charging, not powering up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer Swift SF314-54 charging, not powering up

Am I the only one here who have issues with the pictures shared here? They're way to small. I can't identify anything
    You need one of these - pretty sure they sell them on Aliexpress. From one of my favorite TV shows while growing up.
    Attached Files

Comment

Affs... Lets try this.
      Attached Files

Comment

Voltage Injection at this stage of troubleshooting is a clear NO. Exact resistance on 3V/5V coil(no power connected)??

Why not check the basic requirements of KBC first??

Pin125/111/67/124//100/103/106/107/121/16/17/37 of KBC-Voltage measurements. If any of the pins have no voltage, measure resistance as well on those pins.

Printing on the schematics is bit mislaigned on pg24.So make sure you are measuring the correct pins.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          Voltage Injection at this stage of troubleshooting is a clear NO. Exact resistance on 3V/5V coil(no power connected)??

Pin125/111/67/124//100/103/106/107/121/16/17/37 of KBC-Voltage measurements. If any of the pins have no voltage, measure resistance as well on those pins.

Printing on the schematics is bit mislaigned on pg24.So make sure you are measuring the correct pins.

280 ohm 5Vcoil.

I don't know 3V coil location.
          Last edited by kuupotin; 02-05-2023, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post

PINS: 16, 17, 37, 67, 124, 125
            3,3V

PIN: 111
            2,9V

PINS with 0V: with power/no power resistance
            100 51/10k
            103 52/320k
            106 7/8
            107 20/92k
            111 2,9/very high
            121 20/10k

Comment

Resistance and also diode mode meter readings are always with no power to the logic board.

Can you review and update your posted values with no power to the logic board?

Comment

Originally posted by kuupotin View Post
                PINS: 16, 17, 37, 67, 124, 125
                3,3V

PIN: 111
                2,9V

PINS with 0V: no power resistance
                100 10k
                103 320k
                106 8
                107 92k
                111 2,9/very high
                121 10k
                Here

Comment

Pin 106 is 8 ohms or 8k ohms to ground resistance?

If 8 ohms, that is too low and there is a shorted part on that line.

Double check now in diode mode.

Meter in diode mode. No power to the logic board.

Red meter probe to ground.
                  Black meter probe to pin #106.

What is the measurement?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                    Pin 106 is 8 ohms or 8k ohms to ground resistance?

If 8 ohms, that is too low and there is a shorted part on that line.

Double check now in diode mode.

Meter in diode mode. No power to the logic board.

Red meter probe to ground.
                    Black meter probe to pin #106.

What is the measurement?
                    0,009V something wrong here...

Comment

Indeed. Have not yet checked the schematics.

What is this power rail?

Do you have an adjustable power supply? That can be adjusted to a 1 volt output ( not higher ).

The process is then to inject 1 volt onto this rail and check who heats up.

Yes, you have a power supply ☺️

Comment

Indeed. Have not yet checked the schematics.

What is this power rail?

Do you have an adjustable power supply? That can be adjusted to a 1 volt output ( not higher ).

The process is then to inject 1 volt onto this rail and check who heats up.

Yes, you have a power supply ☺️
                        Am I reading this right?

Signal from RTCRST_ON pin106 tells to switch mosfet Q1701 on. So is there something wrong in mosfet or near?

Comment

Correct. Pin 106 is driving the GATE pin of the mosfet (2N7002) @ Q1701.

Either this pin or something on this pin is shorting.

Start with removing the pull-down resistor @ R1703.

With no power to the logic board, check the DIODE mode reading again on this pin.

Is it improved ? The reading should be higher. If not, remove the mosfet @ Q1701 and measure again.

If the 'hard short' still remains on pin 106 then the conclusion is that the KBC is defective.

Wait on other comments but believe this KBC controller will then need to be replaced.

Comment

Correct. Pin 106 is driving the GATE pin of the mosfet (2N7002) @ Q1701.

Either this pin or something on this pin is shorting.

Start with removing the pull-down resistor @ R1703.

With no power to the logic board, check the DIODE mode reading again on this pin.

Is it improved ? The reading should be higher. If not, remove the mosfet @ Q1701 and measure again.

If the 'hard short' still remains on pin 106 then the conclusion is that the KBC is defective.

Wait on other comments but believe this KBC controller will then need to be replaced.
                            After resistor remove. 0,012V
                            after mosfet same...

Comment

After resistor remove. 0,012V
                              after mosfet same...
                              So if KBC is faulty, am I able to replace it or should it be flashed?

Comment

This line is based on a GPIO pin (general purpose input/output pin).

From the measurements, this pin appears to be defective / damaged.

Do wait on other comments but to me, this KBC controller is damaged and must be replaced. From my (limited) understanding, this is a 8051 based KBC IC that uses firmware that is internal to the device. For this reason, this KBC controller requires a special programming tool.

Some KBC ICs use an external SPI interface flash memory device to boot the firmware.

There are vendors on Ebay, etc. that offer pre-flashed KBC ICs.

Comment

This line is based on a GPIO pin (general purpose input/output pin).

From the measurements, this pin appears to be defective / damaged.

Do wait on other comments but to me, this KBC controller is damaged and must be replaced. From my (limited) understanding, this is a 8051 based KBC IC that uses firmware that is internal to the device. For this reason, this KBC controller requires a special programming tool.

Some KBC ICs use an external SPI interface flash memory device to boot the firmware.

There are vendors on Ebay, etc. that offer pre-flashed KBC ICs.

Ok, i'll start to find some vendor who is selling preflashed chips. I'll wait a moment if someone will confirm this fault true.

Big thanks to you 👍

Comment

Ok, i'll start to find some vendor who is selling preflashed chips. I'll wait a moment if someone will confirm this fault true.

Big thanks to you 👍
                                    i know one trustworthy guy, who is selling these ics programmed on ebay (pitstopcomputers). just ask him, he will help you out for sure. and give him my best regards, pls

Comment

Originally posted by rediii View Post
                                      i know one trustworthy guy, who is selling these ics programmed on ebay (pitstopcomputers). just ask him, he will help you out for sure. and give him my best regards, pls
                                      Ok, big thanks. Let's put that behind the ear (finnish saying to keep something in mind)

Comment

With Acers with integrated power buttons in the keyboard, you should always rule out that out first. They are the most common failure I see and can hold the on/off line down low. This basically appears as if you are holding the power button down and can be misinterpreted as a faulty EC.

With all Acers (and some Lenovo's too with power button in the keyboard) I first disconnect the keyboard, and trigger it manually with tweezers. So in this one its pin 1 of KB1, short it briefly to ground and test.

Comment

As @mon2 has highlighted, it seems something wrong in RTC circuit. I'll suggest to check these first before jumping on the conclusion of defective KBC. I've never seen a bad EC pulling down RTC circuit. If thats the case here, it'll be rare instance. My doubt goes to PCH instead.

01.Resistance on Q1701-All pins
                                          02.Resistance on G1701 pin2.

If resistance on G1701 jumper,pin2 is low, you are very likely staring at a shorted RTC section of PCH. If you are lucky, it could be a shorted cap on RTC lines.

Comment

Working...
                                          X