Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus g15 rgb 3 led

Hi
    asus led corner board with a component that looks like a diode, this computer has two of these cards and on the other the tester identifies it as a diode. I don't know the specifics to replace it though.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jasko_jacker; 02-04-2023, 09:34 AM.

Re: Asus g15 rgb 3 led

Is the pin on the left connected to GND .It looks like a dual TVS diode.What voltage is there from the connector pins on the motherboard
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
      Is the pin on the left connected to GND .It looks like a dual TVS diode.What voltage is there from the connector pins on the motherboard
      I found the schematic via the motherboard number (I didn't want to disassemble the whole notebook) and so it should be a AZ5525-01F.R7G
      even if there is no reference number on the board

In case of problems on the power line it should discharge to ground, so since it's not shorted, the LEDs should work anyway or am I wrong?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 02-04-2023, 02:07 PM.

Comment

There is a diode led that is fault, how I test this type of led out of board ?
        Do they use a 1 bit protocol to change color?
        Last edited by jasko_jacker; 02-05-2023, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Can you swap this board with others on this laptop for testing? (Assuming that others are working)

Yes, this appears to be a single wire RGB led if the colors are able to change.

The bit width defines if the bit is a '1' or '0' logic level. The timing is not simple to achieve but there are many public articles on this topic. Check Adafruit or others if you really wish to build a tester.

Here is one datasheet that may be similar to your case:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...8bf47c2481.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
            Can you swap this board with others on this laptop for testing? (Assuming that others are working)

Yes, this appears to be a single wire RGB led if the colors are able to change.

The bit width defines if the bit is a '1' or '0' logic level. The timing is not simple to achieve but there are many public articles on this topic. Check Adafruit or others if you really wish to build a tester.

Here is one datasheet that may be similar to your case:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...8bf47c2481.pdf
            Yes
            I tried with the other board and it works on both inputs, so the circuit is working. The problem is that this part costs a lot (50 euros) and is not easy to find. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace the led diodes with a WS2812B (but this led has a circuit inside it).
            Thanks for the info

Comment

1000% sure that Asus does not build this LED. The real puzzle is to find the true vendor of this RGB side view led.

Is the LED the circular one in the first picture ?

We have toyed a bit with the WS2812B LEDs and got them working to build larger scrolling displays and some FPGA style logic. These days, the RP2040 can do this protocol with ease.

I think a logic approach is to scout Aliexpress for a vendor with Asus parts for a module replacement. 50 Euros sounds very expensive.

Could the fault be just a dry solder joint? Do NOT hot air this part as the lens / led will melt but ok to flux and try to touch up the solder joints with a sharp tipped soldering iron.

Can you review the defective module and show a clear pic of the contacts on the board ? Just wanting to know the physicals for the RGB led.

Are you 100% sure the LED is defective? Why would it go bad?

Comment

Close is not 6 contacts on the LEDs..

https://www.kt-micro.de/shop/Optoele...ifen::589.html

See attached. Flux and touch up the SMD connector. The LEDs are likely ok but suspect is the connector.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by mon2; 02-05-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  Close is not 6 contacts on the LEDs..

https://www.kt-micro.de/shop/Optoele...ifen::589.html

See attached. Flux and touch up the SMD connector. The LEDs are likely ok but suspect is the connector.
                  Thanks for your research

In the end, both for time reasons and because I don't know digital diodes and how to manage them very well (I don't have the exact model of the original LED), I had to buy both boards for 70 euros.

Unfortunately the connector works, I tested all 6 diodes individually and three work while 3 don't conduct. Regarding the replacement LED having 5 pins instead of 6 it should still work since the original has two cathodes soldered together but the problem could concern a different frequency management At an educational level I would like to better understand the use of the tvs diode since I think it only serves to protect the LEDs from transients only. Let's analyze two possible situations: - 1 - One of the three diodes does not conduct (which is our case, through the tvs all 5v go to ground. In this case the tvs burns. But even in its absence the circuit would not have suffered damage 2 - One of the three LEDs is shorted, In this case the TVs does not intervene and the other LEDs could burn out.

Am I saying something wrong?

Comment

Working...
                  X