• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook A1466 820-165-A No power Missing PM_SLP_S4_L

Hi,

It's me again!
    Another issue, I am not too lucky.
    I have MacBook A1466 820-165-A after another service. Most of parts have rough traces of soldering (I guess they had been troubleshooting without success)

Missing PM_SLP_S4_L
    because absent PM_SLP_S5_L

What processor needs to form PM_SLP_S5_L signal?

I tried to connect U8000 and U8180 to run directly but it doesn't want to run.

All of these signals are present:
    1. PPVRTC_G3H (VCCRTC) 3.3
    2. RTC_RESET_L (RTCRST#) 3.3
    3. PCH_SRTCRST_L (SRTCRST#) 3.345
    4. PCH_INTVRMEN_L (INTVRMEN) 3.2
    5. PCH_DSWVRMEN_L (DSWVRMEN) 3.23
    6. SYSCLK_CLK32K_RTCX1 (RTCX1) 0.6 pulsing
    7. PP3V3_S5 (VCCDSW3-3) 3.3
    8. PM_DSW_PWRGD (DPWROK) 3.4
    9. PP3V3_SUS (VCCSUS3) 3.3
    10. PM_BATLOW_L (BATLOW#) 3.3
    11. PM_RSMRST_L (RSMRST#) 3.3
    +1. PM_PWRBTN_L (PWRBTN#) 3.4

Would you help me please!
    Thank you in advance.

Re: MacBook A1466 820-165-A No power Missing PM_SLP_S4_L

Eliminate the simple stuff first. Measure resistance to ground of all rails, especially that of the PCH (L7630). Usually this is 200 ohms or more, but I've had some measure 150ohms and working.

U1900 generates the clock, and is a common issue from liquid damage. Use a scope to ensure you get ~1V p-p 32khz signal here (pin12 or test pad near U7600). If everything in the sequence is good, you need to usually look at the SMC. Is the edge bonding still intact? Is there evidence of rework around it?

My first step is to remove the bonding and reflow the SMC with PM_SLP_x faults, especially if there is evidence of liquid damage around it. Then also ensure you don't have any pulsing going on. This can be quite rapid and easy to miss without a scope.

The board I just fixed had extensive liquid damage, needed a reflow of the SMC to at least get the board pulsing, and a jumper to bridge an open circuit track from the U6100 to the CPU. I mention this one as this had no PM_SLP_S5_L either, and everything was good to that point.
    Last edited by reformatt; 01-29-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Thank you
      -L7630 is OK (230 Om)

-There are no ground on all rails.
      U1900 is working perfectly - generates the clock 32khz signal
      And when I put 3.2 and 1.2 V directly to 6 and 14 pins it generates SYSCLK_CLK25M_CAMERA and SYSCLK_CLK25M_TBT pulses

- SMC looks well, the edge bonding compound at there places. Without rework traces.

- As for the SPI request - I can watch exchange. But it is strange- pretty short.
      Will check SPI tomorrow.
      Last edited by AlexVG; 01-29-2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

You need to establish whether you're getting PM_SLP_x at all, or if it's starting up and shutting down. This is pretty important as far as not wasting a lot of time on these.

Comment

Thanks.
          It's very interesting - I have two attempts to run.
          All signals and main voltages appear twice shortly and then everything is disabled.
          What it means? Short circuit? How I can find where is?
          Last edited by AlexVG; 01-30-2023, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Looks like I found possible cause.
            It's very interesting case.
            While the main part of board was plowed with a 60 watt iron, the U4600 switch had removed very carefully and has not trace at all.
            I didn't notice the U4600 switch missing.
            So, will put it at place and check.

NO, It's my mistake.
            FAULT (pin 8) is pull up to 3.3 and the absence of switch U4600 cannot affect the running.
            (of course I put it back in place, but didn't change anything)
            Last edited by AlexVG; 01-30-2023, 08:13 PM.

Comment

So I do have a couple of double pulse boards in my donor pile. Every time I've looked at them, they take up too much time and I put them back in as I've other stuff to do. Today being quiet, I went through all the SMC inputs, and virtually ruled everything out. Pretty sure on this board I've replaced the SMC to rule it out.

What makes this fault quite frustrating is that everything appears ok from a signal and voltage point of view. I'm thinking it may be a PPBUS_G3H issue. Noted a slight sag during startup, but not enough that it should make a difference.
              Last edited by reformatt; 01-31-2023, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Have you checked SPI?
                Maybe SPI is the cause?

Comment

The SPI traffic is normal. In fact, if you remove U6100, the board will pulse every few seconds (which is normal). There is SPI data activity on all the lines to the CPU, even traffic on the SVID lines to U7200.

Where it seems to stop is there is no activity on the LPC lines from the PCH back to the SMC. The lines go high, reset line goes high, and there is a clock, but there doesn't seem to be any data activity. It's hard to tell, as the line only goes active for a short period before the SMC shuts down (my scope doesn't have data capture capabilities). AFAIK, the PCH itself is the host for LPC comms, so.....

This leads me to conclude that this is either a bad PCH or more likely it needs to be reballed or reflowed. I don't have the right gear to do this on such a large chip currently.
                  Last edited by reformatt; 01-31-2023, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexVG View Post
                    Thank you
                    -L7630 is OK (230 Om)

-There are no ground on all rails.
                    U1900 is working perfectly - generates the clock 32khz signal
                    And when I put 3.2 and 1.2 V directly to 6 and 14 pins it generates SYSCLK_CLK25M_CAMERA and SYSCLK_CLK25M_TBT pulses

- SMC looks well, the edge bonding compound at there places. Without rework traces.

- As for the SPI request - I can watch exchange. But it is strange- pretty short.
                    Will check SPI tomorrow.
                    Did you check the signals around the SPI rom circuit to make sure there all ok? i.e the SPI_MLB_CS_L etc?

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
                      This leads me to conclude that this is either a bad PCH or more likely it needs to be reballed or reflowed. I don't have the right gear to do this on such a large chip currently.

Thank you.
                      I came from TV repairing, I have reballing station. Will try.

Comment

Is it possible download video here?
                        I made video my SPI exchanging, but don't know how put it.

Comment

I think you should be able to do this but zip / rar it and then attach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplebeans View Post
                            Did you check the signals around the SPI rom circuit to make sure there all ok? i.e the SPI_MLB_CS_L etc?

Yes of course, I watch exchanging, but it is too short in time. Short length duty.

Comment

Faulty main board exchange here.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working main board exchange
                                Attached Files

Comment

Where it seems to stop is there is no activity on the LPC lines from the PCH back to the SMC. The lines go high, reset line goes high, and there is a clock, but there doesn't seem to be any data activity. It's hard to tell, as the line only goes active for a short period before the SMC shuts down (my scope doesn't have data capture capabilities). AFAIK, the PCH itself is the host for LPC comms, so.....

Yes

LPC_AD<0>
                                  LPC_AD<1>
                                  LPC_AD<2>
                                  LPC_AD<3>
                                  HIGH without any activity during 400 ms. Then down.

LPC_CLK24M_SMC

has fluctuation 400 ms. Then down too.

Comment

We don't have access to source code or flow charts/state diagrams for the SMC, which I think would be needed to debug that further. What we know about how it reacts to certain faults are mainly from reverse engineering and observation, than anything provided by Apple.

For example, a shorted power rail results in cycling of all rails. As does failure to load the BIOS from U6100. Absent PP3V3_S5_SMC_VDDA results in it only working in SMC bypass. So the double pulse of rails then off to date has no solution. And it's a common enough failure on these boards for me to think it's CPU related rather than anything else. So reball or replacement of the CPU would be the next step if I had the gear to do it, and the patience.

Comment

I Try to find BGA Reballing Stencil for this CPU.

Comment

Hi,
                                        Don't miss me.
                                        I bought stencils and waiting for delivery.
                                        Let you know...

Comment

Working...
                                        X