Help identifying resistor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying resistor?

This resistor is on a small board the fan connects to in a Brother MFC L5900DW. The fan does not work, and when testing this resistor it shows no reading all the way from 4M ohms, down the a continuity test, so appears to have failed open.

I've tried using a coupld of resistor calculators online, but I'm not sure which end is which on the resistor, and going both directions on the calculators I run into a value that doesn't have the correct color as an option.

I, believe the colors are black gold violet black orange, but maybe I'm mistaken on one of them?
    Attached Files

Re: Help identifying resistor?

I think it is 300Meg (or 30Meg if 3rd band blue) and is basically to discharge any static charge to ground
    This seems to be the toner sensor board.
    The board has no control over the fan, it is just a pass through board for the connection to the fan
    Last edited by R_J; 01-19-2023, 12:10 PM.

Comment

it's a 5 bands resistor , where the 4th digit is the multiplier , so if it's gold like you say , then it's 30.7 ohms , but frankly , I see it silver and if so , it's 3.07 ohms .

Comment

Its a 4 band resistor with the last band likely indicating non-inductive, look at the back of the board.

Comment

R_J ; I'm treating the resistor as standards apply ; We know there could be exceptions , but I don't have this specific schema of Brother , neither the back image , although i have plenty. if you do , i'll take a look .

Comment

The resistor goes from what is likely the negative trace to the screw mounting hole, without the mounting screw the resistor does nothing. So this is not likely the original posters problem
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 01-20-2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Yes R_J ; Absolutely convincing . This R1 sounds like , literally a dumper diode ,or noise reduction , i don't know for sure . It's definitely not the problem , and maybe the fan was clogged or age ended , so it triggered a protection circuit (hopefully) .
              I trust now it's non inductive also .

Comment

Working...
              X