Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Basics Laminator design

Hi
    I've just purchased an Amazon Basics laminator, to use for PCB toner transfers but thats not the reason for my post.

I opened up the unit to see what was going on inside to find that it contains 3 normally closed temperature sensors.

I have draw a schematic of what i believe to be how its wired up, but if I've draw it correctly I don't understand the purpose of the third 130 degree temp switch, as regardless of whether the other 2 temp switch's had switched off the third would remain on therefore defeating the object of the other 2 switch's.

I have attached the schematic that i have draw and some images of the device so if you could take a look to see if I'm mistaken i would be grateful.
    Attached Files

Re: Amazon Basics Laminator design

Originally posted by pintglass View Post
    I have attached the schematic that i have draw and some images of the device so if you could take a look to see if I'm mistaken i would be grateful.
    Is the DPDT switch "center off", by chance?

If that's the case, then the two "other" positions represent operation at 115C and 125C ("operation" implying the motor is running to pull the material through the laminator). The 130C cutout then acts as a standby/preheat setting -- with the motor off (as soon as anything passes through the laminator, the temperature will drop to a point where the appropriate 115/125 cutout acts to control the temperature).

Note that most laminators are designed to laminate bits of paper in plastic encapsulants. So, you may find the heating element underperforming for your needs.

[I have to give the heating element in my laminator time to "catch up" if I have been laminating large (e.g., 8x14") items -- or, set it to run hotter than desired (I have a variable temperature control)]

Comment

I've over driven one of these type of basic laminator before now by changing the thermal switches for higher temperature and used it for a while for making PCB's. It lasted about a year before the plastic rollers holding the rails and rollers started to melt and it became useless.

It was replaced with a variable temperature model that can hit the required temps without fear of it melting or bursting into flames.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
        Is the DPDT switch "center off", by chance?

If that's the case, then the two "other" positions represent operation at 115C and 125C ("operation" implying the motor is running to pull the material through the laminator). The 130C cutout then acts as a standby/preheat setting -- with the motor off (as soon as anything passes through the laminator, the temperature will drop to a point where the appropriate 115/125 cutout acts to control the temperature).

Note that most laminators are designed to laminate bits of paper in plastic encapsulants. So, you may find the heating element underperforming for your needs.

[I have to give the heating element in my laminator time to "catch up" if I have been laminating large (e.g., 8x14") items -- or, set it to run hotter than desired (I have a variable temperature control)]
        Yes the DPDT switch is centre off.

I still don't get how the heater could be preheating until I've switched to either side as the heater is switched on the neutral side. Sorry I may be just being thick.

Comment

It does'nt make sense. Does the unit start to heat up when first pluged in and the switch in the OFF position?
          It could be that one thermal cutout is just to control the "ready" led
          Last edited by R_J; 02-15-2020, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            It does'nt make sense. Does the unit start to heat up when first pluged in and the switch in the OFF position?
            It could be that one thermal cutout is just to control the "ready" led
            The unit doesn't heat in the off position it only starts heating when the rocker switch is placed in the low temp or high temp position as the heater is switched on the neutral side at the same time as either thermal cutout's are switched in.

The unit has got a ready led which I think is switched on from the 130 degree temp switch. I didn't draw that in as i haven't taken the small PCB out to look at how its wired up.

The 125 degree and 130 degree seem to switch off and on at around the same time.

To me the lower temp setting seems pointless as when this position is selected with the rocker switch it wouldn't turn the heater off until all 3 thermal cutouts are off no matter what.
            Last edited by pintglass; 02-16-2020, 02:24 AM.

Comment

so your using laser-toner??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                so your using laser-toner??
                Yes that's the plan, I was looking at changing the thermal cutout's for a higher Temp.

Comment

have you seen the project to use a modified $50 laser printer to print directly to the pcb and fuse it in one pass?

Comment

have you seen the project to use a modified $50 laser printer to print directly to the pcb and fuse it in one pass?
                    Please post this link
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Marco Reps has done a video printing direct to PCB but he uses acetone vapour to fuse the toner.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWUul62irY

Comment

i'm surprised he didnt just vaporise the copper with a co² laser knowing him!!

Comment

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modi...Direct-Laser-/

Comment

i'm surprised he didnt just vaporise the copper with a co² laser knowing him!!
                            Yeah, he has a few videos a couple of years after his laser toner using his CO₂ laser to cut traces.

Comment

Working...
                            X