Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help finding a cap online

Hey everyone,

I have a power supply I'm working on and I need some help with finding a certain type of ceramic capacitor.

It's blue, round, and has the marking LY B1KV 472K on it. I found 472K caps but they aren't blue. I'm not sure if they will work.

I don't know much about ceramic capacitors. I usually only deal with electrolytic capacitors. However I replaced two caps on the board and then noticed that one of the ceramic capacitors had a crack on both sides. So I'm assuming its bad and needs to be replaced.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Todd

Re: help finding a cap online

the colour isnt important,
    but it must be resin-coated.
    blue, yellow are the most common colours.
    and 1000v rated.
    (or upgrade to 2kv)

Comment

bastard wifi causing double-post!
      Last edited by stj; 01-23-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by itsdarkout
        It's blue, round, and has the marking LY B1KV 472K on it.
        Sounds like a Y cap.
        Any chance they are connected between ground and neutral or ground and live? If so, you can't use regular ceramic caps (cheap PSU manufacturers do that, but this is not safe).
        Also, can you post a picture of the cracked cap? Might be just a cosmetic thing. Y caps almost never fail.

Comment

Yeah, I can do that.. I'm at work right now, but I'll post a picture just as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Todd

Comment

Hey, here's the picture. Not sure if you can tell, but the one resistor next to the caps is appearently giving off alot of heat. one of the electrolytic caps next to it already has a burn mark on it from the resistor, and I just changed those caps out a month ago.

For anyone wondering... Don't ever buy a Polaroid tv... these psus are a piece of garbage.

Sorry if the image isn't the greatest.. Best I could do with my cell. =)

Todd

Comment

1kv ceramic cap,
              use a 2kv rated replacement.

the blue is resin to insulate it because of it's maximum voltage.

Comment

Sorry if this thread is too old, but thats a mylar cap. from the part number looks like its 1kV. The 472k refers to pico farads. the LY should be the temp rating.
                Bistable Multivibrator

Comment

In my own searches my memory was jogged, and it was past my bedtime last night :P

The proper term for that cap type is 'film'. They used to all be metalized polyester film or paper, and we just called them all mylar. Like all bleach being called clorox.
                  Bistable Multivibrator

Comment

I finally found someone with the same problem! Polaroid 32 inch monitor correct?

Comment

Originally posted by flemhd883 View Post
                      I finally found someone with the same problem! Polaroid 32 inch monitor correct?
                      was 8 years ago

Comment

Working...
                      X