Asus PTGD-LA with 3 dead NCC KZG capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus PTGD-LA with 3 dead NCC KZG capacitors

Hello, i was given a old HP PC which has a Asus PTGD-LA motherboard with 3 dead KZG capacitors on it (all three are 1000uf 16v) I'm looking at using polycaps for this recap, the capacitors i'm looking at right now are the NCC PSG series polycaps but i have not decided if i will go with polycaps yet. This is also the first motherboard i'm trying to recap (i would not care too much if i accidentally kill it) but if anyone has any tips on how to do it without killing the motherboard then i would highly appreciate if you could tell me.
    Here is the best photo i could get of the motherboard as of yet.
    Attached Files
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Re: Asus PTGD-LA with 3 dead NCC KZG capacitors

Just go with Kemet A750, they are cheap and close enough to the original KZG.
    Those PSG don't really make sense because they are darn expensive...
    A750 are around half the price. And frankly, with a Board without an x16 PCIe I'd rather not invest much at all...

Is that really an i915 thing with a Pentium 4??

Anyway:
    What you really need to do is kinda preheat the board because those PCBs can really suck up heat and is also designed as a heatsink in that area...

Do you have hot air station??
    Or something similar??
    That's rather important in this case...

Without it, you have a big problem...
    Because its very hard to desolder them, even with a good iron...

So preheating it is the most important thing in all of this...
    Last edited by Stefan Payne; 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I was going to go with Kemet A750 but the earliest i can get them (from digikey) is 2 months.

Comment

Mouser has a couple of them:
        https://www.mouser.de/KEMET/Passive-...3&Ns=Pricing|0

And if you don't want to order @ mouser, you can still go with Pana FM.
        They are a bit bigger than KZG - 10mm instead of 8mm but are a great replacement because about the same ESR...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
          Anyway:
          What you really need to do is kinda preheat the board because those PCBs can really suck up heat and is also designed as a heatsink in that area...

Do you have hot air station??
          Or something similar??
          That's rather important in this case...

Without it, you have a big problem...
          Because its very hard to desolder them, even with a good iron...

So preheating it is the most important thing in all of this...
          I have a few hot air guns (one of witch can get hot enough to melt solder) but no real hot air station.

Also, i don't like to buy from mouser anymore because they tend to screw up my orders somehow.

I think the power supply may also be dead.
          Last edited by RukyCon; 02-10-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

here's a better pic of the board off the net. from the OP's pic, it looked like the board only has 2 power phases for the cpu vrm which is misleading. it actually has 4 phases which makes it a suitable candidate for polymodding.

so i almost ended up trolling the topic because i thought the board only had 2 phases and shouldnt be polymodded...
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
              I have a few hot air guns (one of witch can get hot enough to melt solder) but no real hot air station.
              That should be enough to "warm up" the board...

The Problem with those things is that they are unregulated and you have to be pretty careful to not heat the board up too much...

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
              so i almost ended up trolling the topic because i thought the board only had 2 phases and shouldnt be polymodded...
              hm??
              Explain pls.

I want to know =)

Comment

Was that bulging and leaking just from sitting? The KZGs on my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X, looked like that, when just sitting!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  Was that bulging and leaking just from sitting? The KZGs on my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X, looked like that, when just sitting!
                  I don't think so as there's one other KZG capacitor that is not bulging.

Comment

Maybe, but it seems that this board only has three caps between +12V CPU and CPU VRM.

But another thing:
                    Why are both memory sticks on one channel and don't use both??

Comment

I don't think so as there's one other KZG capacitor that is not bulging.
                      One day, I was in my bedroom, IIRC, (maybe another part of 105 Main St.) and decided to check my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, which was just sitting in a room, and discovered that the caps were doing something that I never saw them do before, at least a fair amount of the caps, suddenly looked like a volcano!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-12-2018, 03:07 AM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

But another thing:
                        Why are both memory sticks on one channel and don't use both??
                        I have no idea why. :|

Comment

So i said the power supply might also be broken broken so i took it apart and it was a really bad quality power supply.

But i think i may still have the OEM power supply somewhere.(i think it was a hipro)

You can see the garbage PSU here.

One last thing, this PC was given to me by my parents.
                          Last edited by RukyCon; 02-12-2018, 03:54 AM.

Comment

You might want to remove that CPU heatsink and check what's under it (in terms of caps). Some ASUS boards come with Chemicon TMV, which are also prone to failure and should be replaced.

You could also go with Wurth Electronics polymer caps if you want to keep costs low. Series doesn't really matter that much with polymers - they would be pretty low ESR already. So pick whatever is available.

And frankly, with a Board without an x16 PCIe I'd rather not invest much at all...
                            Couldn't have said it any better.
                            It really bothers me when I see otherwise okay-ish motherboards with no PCI-E x16 (or back in the P4 days - AGP) slot. Heck, even a PCI-E x1 slot would have been nice (could open it on the back and insert a full-size PCI-E 16x GPU then).

The Problem with those things is that they are unregulated and you have to be pretty careful to not heat the board up too much...
                            Nah, it's really REALLY hard to overheat a board with a heat gun - you'd have to have your heat gun on its high setting and heat for at least 5 minutes. If you're holding the board, you'd notice way before then, as it will start burning your fingers once things heat up to 55-60C. And if you have the board resting on something, you would start to smell the hot PCB once you go past 120-130C - which is still a fairly modest temperature that most components will withstand for a few minutes just fine.
                            Last edited by momaka; 02-23-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Finally got around to removing the heatsink and..... all of the caps under it are NCC TMV 680uf 4v...

though i do have some salvaged 560uf 4v polycaps and i wonder if i could get away with using them to replace the NCC TMV caps.

Here is a photo of one of the 560uf polycaps i was talking about.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Finally got around to removing the heatsink and..... all of the caps under it are NCC TMV 680uf 4v...

though i do have some salvaged 560uf 4v polycaps and i wonder if i could get away with using them to replace the NCC TMV caps.
                                Would likely be fine. How many TMV caps are there on the board? If 6 or more, I would say it's definitely safe to replace them with the PSA poly's.

Comment

about 10 of them, 5 of them appear to have failed based off the way they look (the rubber bung on the 5 of them appear to be pushed out).

Note: I just spotted another KZG cap on the motherboard that appears to have not failed yet, it's a 1500uf 6.3v cap.
                                  Last edited by RukyCon; 04-17-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                  X