• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E153Fpc bad C922 cap.

As a background, I am experiencing the same exact issue detailed here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5315
    and here:
    http://www.electronicrepairguide.com...or-repair.html

Capacitor is visibly bulging at the top and the PCB is discolored in a 1.5" radius around it's position.

That being said, I have never replaced a cap before and I believe I have now damaged the PCB. Basically, I have improperly removed the capacitor and have damaged the embeded foil / trace. While pushing & pulling on the capacitor, the old solder apparently did not get hot enough and tore off taking with it the foil/trace that it was fused to. On the backside of the board, the hole is exposed and you can clearly see that the foil is not coming into contact with the lead port / hole which would mean that the replacement capacitor would not make contact unless action is taken. You can _barely_ see the edge of the foil from the trace just outside where the old solder point is/was.

My question is: Given the knowledge that the trace is extremely wide and is still intact (so it appears), is it kosher to simply run some additional solder ontop of the board to a connecting solder point on that trace? or is that bad, bad, bad?

My only other choice would be to hope that the solder would make a good connection to the *barely* visible section remaining.

well... that or buy a new one ($40 - ouch! & not worth it)

http://www.lcdrepair.us/e152-e153fpc...ter-power.html
    Last edited by hobbzilla; 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM.

Re: Dell E153Fpc bad C922 cap.

is it kosher to simply run some additional solder on top of the board to a connecting solder point on that trace?
    In a nutshell- maybe/possibly/say your prayers...

A clear picture of the damaged area will make it simpler to answer.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Cmon toasty I thought you knew better than that.

Don't give up until the board is a steaming pile of slag .

Get a razor knife (straight razors work best) and scrape the mask off of the remaining trace (the line of copper that connected to the trace you lifted). Tin the now bare copper with solder.

Insert the new component through the hole and bend the leg over the trace and apply your iron over the lead to solder the leg down. Trim the excess cap lead past the solder with side cutters as usual.

A very basic technique when you've goofed up. Jumper wire would work too but it wouldn't give the cap a firm mechanical connection.

This is why you use desoldering braid on single sided boards . It would have sucked up all the solder so you could just pull the cap out.

It takes some time to learn how to use it it's just like learning to solder practice makes perfect. But it's worth it.

Also you should be replacing all of the secondary caps or at least all of the caps of the same brand that failed.

I have destroyed a few traces myself but it was because of horribly thin copper used on the PCB to cut costs thanks China.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Don't give up until the board is a steaming pile of slag
        No, no, no. That's the governments work ethic - If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is....

I was hoping to get a picture of the area to show him what to do. Just as you said in your post, but with pictures. Since he's already mangled the unit, (from his description, rather nicely, I might add ) I wanted to go slow.

But, no, no, no. You gotta run in here, yellin' directions.
        Bend this, solder that jumper here, there, everywhere. I'm amazed you didn't recommend a spot welder!

Oh, I'm havin' some fun toooo-dayy!!

MORE COFFEE!!!!!! The cat and I are gonna War Game!

I'll wait on the pics there, hobbzilla...

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

I tend to break ribbon connectors. I've also melted things with the heat gun. This not so much. I have pulled the little metal rings out of dual sided boards when desoldering. And I hate it when the braid refuses to clear that last bit of solder from the hole and I'm trying to put new parts in.

Comment

veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
            X