Sony KDL-65W850A 5 blinks error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-65W850A 5 blinks error

The TV went out after a low voltage. I was watching it when I noticed an incandescent lightbulb went dim and the TV just turned off. After the service normalized I noticed the red light wasn't on and when I tried to power it a 5 blink error was displayed. I tried to power cycle it but nothing happened.

I been testing it (results in separate spreadsheet) and I have noticed:

- The service manual is useless.
    - When plugged to the outlet the standby red light doesn't tuns on.
    - When powered I can hear one or both of the relays clicking on and off as the standby light turns on white, after a second the light changes to red with a weird pattern (dim, off, dim, brightens, bright, off, bright, off), after that the 5 blinks error begins normally.
    - LD_ERR and BL_ERR measure differently in the connectors even though they are on the same board.

Tried jumpering with three 1 kohm resistors POWER_ON, BL_ON and DIGITAL_STBY to STBY3.3V with the main board disconnected. I can hear both relays on G7 clicking and 60 VCD is present in the output to the led driver but it won't turn on the backlight. When turn off the power strip through the surge protector I can hear the relays clicking off one at a time. (I did this before kevinm34232 posted the service manual in his thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=KDL-65W850A and realizing the 5 blinks error isn't because of bad LEDs)

The SM indicates the failure could be in:

- panel module most likely
    - Tcon board most likely
    - G* board (doesn't specify if G6, G7 or both) less likely
    - B* board less likely
    - H* board (IR) less likely

The troubleshooting in page 26 indicates to check PANEL_VCC 12.5V at CN8001 on the B* board. If I check while the 5 blinks error is displaying it reads 0VCD but while powering on it peaks to over 11 VCD and drops. If the LCD panel could be dead throwing harnesses and boards at it isn't a viable solution. Are there any tests to diagnose the real problem? Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-65W850A 5 blinks error

its hard to say the faults, but one of sure yours power board & main processor at MB board are OK, i would say its T_CON or AV section boards.. both make same faults. test way nothings there till replace with known working boards.

Comment

I'd be concentrating on a manner that the backlights turn on without the main board being connected to the PSU. looks like you kinda lose BLon signal from the main board? Remove BLon pin from the connector and see what happens to it when not connected. You got some high resolution pics of the boards and the service manual that you could post?

I also think there is a local dimming board. Now it is to find out if you have bad LED's, led drivers or a problem with the LD board, tcon, panel or main board. That covers about all of the tv cording to SM. That error code design in that TV sux.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 08-14-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Here are the manual and some pics. If you need better pics just let me know. I know it's hard to pinpoint the problem, but I would like to at least discard some. Like the LEDs and LED driver. Even though the service manual doesn't relate the 5 blinks error to those. I also thought there was a way to turn on the backlight with the main board disconnected.

I tried disconnecting BL_ON between main and G6 boards but it makes no difference.

If it was the TCON board, shouldn't the TV stay on by disconnecting the board?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J_SS View Post
          If it was the TCON board, shouldn't the TV stay on by disconnecting the board?
          yes by other model , this is Sony had error detect software which check all.

did you tried to disconnect only the panel from T-CON and turn on. did the error code changed or backlight turned on ?

Comment

Hi guys, did you know what caused the 5 blink error?, i'm having the same issue, tested PS, and it has all voltages, when powered manualy. I don't think it's the main board, my money is on either the tcon board, or the LD board, i'll keep troubleshooting it, if i find the cause, i'll let you know.

Comment

With all boards connected set your meter to 750V DC then attach the black meter probe to the chassis and the red probe to the L+ pin of the connector going to the Backlights. Plug-in the TV and observe your meter. Report what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                With all boards connected set your meter to 750V DC then attach the black meter probe to the chassis and the red probe to the L+ pin of the connector going to the Backlights. Plug-in the TV and observe your meter. Report what you get.
                I have the solution for the 5 and sometimes 4 blink code!, long story short. A client brought the tv to the shop and said, it had bad image issues, but when i tried to power on the tv, i got the 5 blink code. After making all kinds of measurings and tests, i found nothing wrong, the last thing i checked was the main board, again nothing wrong with it. After puting back the main board the tv powerd up just fine, but after a few seconds i got not the 4 blink code. So i checked the ribbon cable the one that goes into from the mainboard to the board before the t-con (guessing it's the 3D), and for my surprise, the ribbon cable had melted white plastic between the contact pins, due to long periods of time exposed to heat, so i removed it, cleaned the contact pins and now it's working as charm, hope the informations helps you guys!

Comment

Good job finding the cause of the problem, according to the service manual, 5 blink is T-CON error, that board between T-CON and Main is FRC board.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                  X