Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adobe Flash woes... again.

I'm giving a dire warning:

I'm going to use an adblocker on a regular basis, because of those fakeware ads.

Web site owners, you're screwed!! Go ahead and spew crap about me breaking a law, because I have an adblocker, that will just make me single you out.

Until the crimeware ads go away, I'm using an adblocker.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-26-2014, 12:54 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

^

I've been using Adblock Plus for a good 4 years now. You can always define per-site rules and choose to display ads for the sites you want to support.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yet with a fully updated Firefox, my 6 month old downloader works.
        I've not seen these restrictions in downloading you speak of. I have however seen plenty of times when sites/applications wouldn't work without the latest Flash, perhaps you need different tools ?
        I wasn't trying to start an argument, just pass on some first hand knowledge about security as others pass on theirs about electronics and repair.
        YouTube has changed its code several times over the years to combat downloading. It is in their terms and conditions. it's counter intuitive for them to hamper streaming speeds, that would push more people to break their terms and download and take eyeballs off their adverts.
        I run Ghostery and adblock in my browser so i don't get any unwanted cr@p running.
        This was last week. Encrypting malware that would affect you by being on the webpage with an outdated version of Flash served up in an advert. On yahoo, match.com and AOL to name a few of the sites.
        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10...sing_outbreak/

Comment

Believe it or not, I've never had problems with flash before. I have version 15 with Firefox 32.0.3, and I can watch Spewtube in 1080p with no problems at all.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            ^

I've been using Adblock Plus for a good 4 years now.
            Lol, same here.

Originally posted by diif
            I've not seen these restrictions in downloading you speak of.
            I have YouTube Downloader 4.3 as a standalone program (not in browser). That version is one year old now, if not more.

Originally posted by diif
            I wasn't trying to start an argument, just pass on some first hand knowledge about security as others pass on theirs about electronics and repair.
            I know. I wasn't trying to attack you for what you posted either, and I appologize if it sounded like I did. Just posting things from my point of view (the point of view of running with tired and old computers ).

Originally posted by c_hegge
            Believe it or not, I've never had problems with flash before.
            You're not going to notice it on anything with decent hardware (not yet... though, Adobe will eventually get there). But with older PCs, it gets really frustrating when one day you can run something, and the next day it runs terribly bad after an update.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Believe it or not, I've never had problems with flash before. I have version 15 with Firefox 32.0.3, and I can watch Spewtube in 1080p with no problems at all.
              Ditto.

I've had nothing but great experiences, even with the latest version of Flash and even on older GPUs (Intel GMA3x00, GMA 4xxx).

In fact, I even stopped using Firefox on the X3100 laptop because I can't find a way to disable Youtube from displaying the video in HTML5 mode, which is awful, so I'm back to IE on both the GL40 and X3100. 1080p is slightly laggy on the x3100 but works perfectly on the GL40 and 1080p doesn't even cause the fan to spin faster on it because GL40 has native decoding support.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

With Flash. I remember some sites will not run because it checks the version number of the flash you use and it has to meet a minimum version number so either you upgrade or you can't view their site.

Comment

I find youtube will not enable accelerated video rendering (but will enable it for decoding) by default in the majority of cases which could be part of the problem which is viewable under the 'stats for nerds' rightclick menu. I was experiencing higher CPU use before when playing videos on even 1780/2160 quality full screen until I fixed the issue. I use Firefox (palemoon portable.. actually) and find that using the greasemonkey script 'yousabletubefix' lets you configure the rendering options. These options include downloading the videos in most cases.. but lets you configure the rendering methods (between software/hardware). Needless to say - CPU use is far lower overall with youtube being hardware rendered again.

There is also one available for use in Chrome for those that use it.
                  Last edited by chozo4; 10-28-2014, 10:44 PM.
                  Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

I've had no problem with accelerated rendering/decoding not being enabled. It's simply getting slower and slower with each update, accelerated or not.

I have actually downgraded further, to 10.3. It's even better now.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Well i also had trouble to install Flash player in my laptop that would not run flash player 15 due to low cpu 1.ghz,when i tried to install from the adobe flash player download site only gave me the new 15 choice that was the right one for my system,i had to go to other site that had nothing to do with adobe flashplayer to install an older version.

Comment

You can get older versions directly from Adobe. Here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...-versions.html

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                          Needless to say - CPU use is far lower overall with youtube being hardware rendered again.
                          Yes.
                          To their credit, Adobe at least did make Flash successful in making use of hardware H.264 decoding when available. On computers on which I have installed my test Radeon 2400XT (which supports hardware H.264), the CPU usage in YouTube dropped dramatically (especially on single core wide-n-short architecture processors like the Athlon 64). I think GeForce 8 series is also where hardware H.264 began. Not sure about Intel... maybe GMA 4x00 series?

I have actually downgraded further, to 10.3. It's even better now.
                          So you re-discovered the joy of 10.3 again?
                          At least I remember you were the one telling me about it a few years back.
                          Last edited by momaka; 10-29-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Just installed 10.3.183.90. Is this the revision you use, momaka and uN1Qu3?

Comment

I have 10.3.183.50 according to control panel. That's maybe a revision or two older, but I doubt there are any differences. As long as you have version 10.3.something, it should be good.
                              While you are at it, make sure to turn off auto-updating too!
                              Last edited by momaka; 10-31-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                                I find youtube will not enable accelerated video rendering (but will enable it for decoding) by default in the majority of cases which could be part of the problem which is viewable under the 'stats for nerds' rightclick menu.
                                Could that be why my computer plays YouTube videos at 10FPS with tons of dropped frames? I do know that it uses software rendering, and there's no reason why a "worthless" Core 2 Duo can play videos perfectly when this Core i3 (with hardware video decoding) can't.

I've noticed that the CPU usage and the number of dropped frames have both dropped recently. I can actually watch videos now, but they still only play at 10FPS.
                                Last edited by lti; 11-02-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  Could that be why my computer plays YouTube videos at 10FPS with tons of dropped frames? I do know that it uses software rendering, and there's no reason why a "worthless" Core 2 Duo can play videos perfectly when this Core i3 (with hardware video decoding) can't.
                                  Window mode is always going to use software rendering. With a core i3 there should be no problems in fullscreen, it should use the IGP. If you're still having problems, feel free to try downgrading Flash Player to one of the older versions. 11.7 should work good for you.

I can readily hear the difference from window to fullscreen on my dv9000: In window mode (480p) the fan runs at a medium speed because of the CPU load. As soon as i hit HD and fullscreen, the fan immediately quiets down as the GPU kicks in and takes over video decoding and rendering duties.

Comment

Window mode is always going to use software rendering.
                                    Only by default it will run software mode in windowed. Otherwise when changed to hardware render in windowed mode it will only then software render when it's set to 144p for some oddball reason.
                                    Last edited by chozo4; 11-03-2014, 05:12 AM.
                                    Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Another thing I noticed is that YouTube performance is slightly slower in newer browsers that support all of its functions. In particular, FireFox 3.6 and Opera 10/11 run YouTube videos great in 720p, but my Firefox 24 portable version has some very slight hiccups. Has nothing to do with hardware/software render either - this was tested on my Dell OptiPlex 170L PC, which has only Intel i865 IGP, which doesn't support any hardware rendering, so everything is done in CPU (i.e. software render).
                                      So if you are on a slow computer, keep that in mind. Of course, older browsers probably won't support YouTube properly in the very near future. For right now, FF 3.6 and Opera 10/11 work with YT fine, but the comments, stats, and some of the controls can be messed up at times.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 11-07-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Only Chrome is supporting their 60fps HD video at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                          Yes it will probably max out a single core processor, but if anything newer is struggling then there are further issues that need investigating.
                                          Yes, it runs like crap on a ten year old 2.8GHz Celeron (Northwood), to the point where I have to make Firefox windowed (also to get rid of the link spam on the right hand side of each video, e.g. the window is as large as YouTube's minimum Flash size, which is 640x360). It's 10.3 or nothing for me, as HTML5 is actually slower than the latest Flash (11 at the time); newer Flash was somewhat watchable (Flash 11 ran for a few seconds, then lagged, buffered, then ran for a few more seconds etc., more often or not automatically changing all different resolutions right down to an unwatchable 144p; HTML5 on the other hand was a slideshow and not even worth attempting). On the flip side, Media Player Classic can play FLV and MP4 videos at full speed on a Pentium 3 which runs at less than a third of the clock speed of this PC. Flash and YouTube as bad as one another. Long live YouTube downloaders.

Comment

Working...
                                          X