• Show
Clear All

Re: 18VDC PSU has dropped to 10v - ZD-915 desoldering station

the main chip contains software,
    they do sell entire boards though.

Comment

I will have to take one mine apart to get this information for you
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-02-2019, 04:57 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I did some searching and the ZD-1565 power supply used Fairchild FSCQ1265RT. I am not sure about ZD-1565 (V2).
        It's weird- even the smallest FSCQ0565 is rated 60W output, and the 1265 170W.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          I did some searching and the ZD-1565 power supply used Fairchild FSCQ1265RT. I am not sure about ZD-1565 (V2).
          It's weird- even the smallest FSCQ0565 is rated 60W output, and the 1265 170W.
          Can't say for sure it's the problem, but I have seen a similar one of those Fairchild integrated switchers fail apparently by itself with power cycling symptoms before, in a network switch PSU...
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            the main chip contains software,
            they do sell entire boards though.
            did you get the correct schematic diagram of the zd-1565 (v2)?

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              It probably would not hurt to resolder all of solder joints on the power supply board just for good measure yeah I know it a pain in the a** but you might not have any more problems with for a while
              I have a brand new ZD-915 (got it forty days ago) and have only used 2 or 3 times for very limited time. Today went to desolder a 40 pin IC and after desoldering the last pin I heard a small pop and now it wont turn on at all. Line fuse is OK. I suspect as mentioned above internal power supply issue. Trying to work out a replacement from the vendor but I may be SOL as its past the 30 days to return and the unit came with no warranty info, so I'm not even sure where to have it serviced. A casual inspection reveals no obvious broken solder points, burnt components or bulging/leaking caps. There is 110v going in to board but no 18v coming out. sam_sam_sam since we are both in FL (I'm on west coast), if I get no help from the vendor to replace the unit, would do you happen to service these units (for a cost of course) ?

Comment

The switching power supply regulator ic has probably has gone bad and needs to be replaced it is a little hard to get to power supply board because you have to take the metal cover off the switching power supply board

If you have not done this type of repair before you will a step by step instructions on how to do this procedure

Or you can pm me about repairing it for you if you can not get the vendor to help you

I have repair several of these switching power supply for this tool because I about 7 of them

By any chance did you buy this unit from MPJA website if you did that item is out of stock right now and when they are out of stock on this item it takes months for it to in stock again
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-24-2020, 10:55 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

The chip usually uses feedback from a thermocouple and modulates the power supply to the soldering iron heater. The control IC-s rarely malfunction. It is either power supply or switching component
                  I own CT936C and never had such issues.
                  Last edited by televizora; 12-24-2020, 11:21 AM.
                  Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                  1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Please take and post photos.

That it died with a 'pop' implies something in the primary side blew up. If you look carefully you should be able to spot the damage.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                      The switching power supply regulator ic has probably has gone bad and needs to be replaced it is a little hard to get to power supply board because you have to take the metal cover off the switching power supply board

If you have not done this type of repair before you will a step by step instructions on how to do this procedure

Or you can pm me about repairing it for you if you can not get the vendor to help you

I have repair several of these switching power supply for this tool because I about 7 of them

By any chance did you buy this unit from MPJA website if you did that item is out of stock right now and when they are out of stock on this item it takes months for it to in stock again
                      I got it from a vendor on Ebay from Kentucky (clearing house for China AliExpress vendor perhaps...). I dug into a little bit and took it apart yesterday evening but didn't really want to completely dig in until I heard from vendor. But I definitely will try the reflowing solder and other troubleshooting in a day or so and report back. If I have no luck I'll definitely PM :-) I'll post some pictures I took last night but it was more for determining if I could get another power supply etc... - the shots are not too descriptive.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hdtvman; 12-24-2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                        Please take and post photos.

That it died with a 'pop' implies something in the primary side blew up. If you look carefully you should be able to spot the damage.
                        I'm a newbie with electronics (I fix Commodore stuff but thats about it) but to me it sounded like a fuse almost and then I read above about these power supplies possibly having a thermal fuse... in the transformer perhaps ? so maybe...

Comment

If I remember correctly it the ic chip that is right behind the transformer you will know if you have the right ic chip or not because this ic has 5 to 8 terminals on it look at that ic with a magnifying glass and see if you see a dark spot or a crack or both on this ic chip loo at the front and both side of it
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-24-2020, 02:40 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

And a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all !

Comment

Originally posted by hdtvman View Post
                              I'm a newbie with electronics (I fix Commodore stuff but thats about it) but to me it sounded like a fuse almost and then I read above about these power supplies possibly having a thermal fuse... in the transformer perhaps ? so maybe...
                              Not in this model it the one that has transformer that has several winding on it with a small board with a bridge rectifier and some capacitors and a triac ( but this version has it own issues )

I am wondering if you have version one when they first come it with the switching power supply version

There is a way tell which version you have the first version ( if you have this version this nothing but problems) when you power it on with the trigger button pushed does the pump start right away or does it wait until it has finished booting I had one of this version and I modified the switching power supply to work off of a battery but I will not go into in this post but I do have a post about it

If you have the revised version it wait until it is finished booting before you can run the vacuum pump

This version is a lot better and it holds up very well under heavy use

There is a solution to this type of switching power supply but have do some modified of this switching power supply board and it not easy to do but can be done
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-24-2020, 03:03 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by hdtvman View Post
                                Your photos show a switching power supply. These do not typically have thermal fuses in the transformer.

In any case, a fuse that blows audibly will be from over-current, not over-temperature, anyway. Thermal fuses do not typically make a noise.

Probably the controller IC has blown up. See attached image from an earlier poster with another one of these stations. The package with the red washer on it next to the primary capacitor. If you look carefully you may find a hole in it.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Agent24; 12-24-2020, 08:42 PM.
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

You should also show us good clear straight shots of the whole bottom side of the board.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

more pictures as requested :-)
                                    main board has 110vac coming in and 164v dc at transformer primary and also at T1 transistor. Nothing at all coming out of the secondary. did not see an obvious F1 thermal fuse - maybe its internal to the transformer... (edit: just read above post - these don't have any - thanks!) also no voltage going out to secondary boards (LCD and controls) no 5v or 18v at the connectors. Reflowed all the dubious solder joints, no joy.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by hdtvman; 12-25-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

better view of circuit board after reflowing. Power supply board is ZD-1565 (V3) but appears very similar to V2
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by hdtvman; 12-25-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

The problem look like you do not have your soldering hot enough to make good looking joints because some of them look like crap at least with the photo that you posted
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                          Your photos show a switching power supply. These do not typically have thermal fuses in the transformer.

In any case, a fuse that blows audibly will be from over-current, not over-temperature, anyway. Thermal fuses do not typically make a noise.

Probably the controller IC has blown up. See attached image from an earlier poster with another one of these stations. The package with the red washer on it next to the primary capacitor. If you look carefully you may find a hole in it.
                                          Forgot to mention - the CQ1565R T1 is measuring 164v across most of the pins (not sure that is correct - the same voltage that is at the primary transformer side on the bottom of the board. There is no evidence of burning/splitting etc...

Comment

Working...
                                          X