Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

The programmer should arrive on jan 17th. what needs to be done to get ready to flash the bios.

Comment

You will need to download the latest BIOS from the HP site. That single download contains 2 different firmware files, but we don't yet know which one you need. That's based on which firmware the board currently has.

After receiving the programmer, and installing the software for it, the next step is to learn how to save the current contents of the BIOS chip. There are quite a few guides online, but basically you'll be connecting the chip to the programmer (via the chip clip at first), clicking "Detect" (which should identify the type of chip), "Read", and then "Save" (assuming data showed up during the read).

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMidnight View Post
        You will need to download the latest BIOS from the HP site. That single download contains 2 different firmware files, but we don't yet know which one you need. That's based on which firmware the board currently has.

After receiving the programmer, and installing the software for it, the next step is to learn how to save the current contents of the BIOS chip. There are quite a few guides online, but basically you'll be connecting the chip to the programmer (via the chip clip at first), clicking "Detect" (which should identify the type of chip), "Read", and then "Save" (assuming data showed up during the read).
        programmer has arrived. I guess school is in session.
        Can I play with one of the shit boards first, trying to identify what firmware the garbage board has.

Comment

Hi if you got a ch341 then the best programma for this is neoprogrammer or colibri.

In attachment you got the programs

Enjoy.

Best regards

Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

Hmm hold on. Could you take a picture of your programmer?

I'm not super familiar with the CH341A (I have a TL866CS and an RT809F), but from what I'm reading now, most do not support 3.3V chips (which that motherboard has). However, in that scenario, it can be modified with a couple wires to work at 3.3V.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
              Hi if you got a ch341 then the best programma for this is neoprogrammer or colibri.

In attachment you got the programs

Enjoy.

Best regards

Steve
              yes I have that programmer Ch341A, thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Comment

Hmm hold on. Could you take a picture of your programmer?

I'm not super familiar with the CH341A (I have a TL866CS and an RT809F), but from what I'm reading now, most do not support 3.3V chips (which that motherboard has). However, in that scenario, it can be modified with a couple wires to work at 3.3V.
                A quick glance at the description of the CH341A says supports 3.3V/5V output on programmer. I'll get a pic.

Comment

Hi I have never got problem with flashing in bios chip without modification that has done. For 1,8 v chip just use the adapter.

Regards

Steve

Comment

After doing more research...

CH341A is actually the name of the big, 28-pin controller chip on the programmer. So, you can have many devices that are all "CH341A programmers", but they can be made by different people and have different layouts. The most common seems to be one with a black, rectangular PCB that has rounded corners on one side.

The CH341A chip itself supports either 3.3V or 5V operation, and will send signals at whichever voltage it is powered with. But, the most common layout is hardwired to 5V. You get no choice in the matter.

If it is the common layout, the output voltage can be confirmed by measuring the voltage on the CLK, CS, MOSI, and MISO pins on the 7-pin header (labels written on the back of the board).

So, does this matter? Yes, it most certainly does. The maximum allowed sustained voltage on any pin of a BIOS chip like the one in question is about 3.7V. Anything above that can damage or kill the chip. It may even appear to be fine but fail prematurely down the road.

Bear in mind that, when programming in-circuit, you must consider the maximum voltage ratings of everything else connected to the BIOS chip as well. You might damage more than just the one chip.

Comment

After doing more research...

CH341A is actually the name of the big, 28-pin controller chip on the programmer. So, you can have many devices that are all "CH341A programmers", but they can be made by different people and have different layouts. The most common seems to be one with a black, rectangular PCB that has rounded corners on one side.

The CH341A chip itself supports either 3.3V or 5V operation, and will send signals at whichever voltage it is powered with. But, the most common layout is hardwired to 5V. You get no choice in the matter.

If it is the common layout, the output voltage can be confirmed by measuring the voltage on the CLK, CS, MOSI, and MISO pins on the 7-pin header (labels written on the back of the board).With all that being said, you are describing the programmer I have. Will it work?

So, does this matter? Yes, it most certainly does. The maximum allowed sustained voltage on any pin of a BIOS chip like the one in question is about 3.7V. Anything above that can damage or kill the chip. It may even appear to be fine but fail prematurely down the road.

Bear in mind that, when programming in-circuit, you must consider the maximum voltage ratings of everything else connected to the BIOS chip as well. You might damage more than just the one chip.
                      will the one I have work?
                      Attached Files

Comment

That is the black one with rounded corners I spoke of. It will almost certainly do its signaling at 5V. You can confirm this by measuring the voltage.

Do you see the yellow header with 7 pins sticking up in a row on the programmer? (The one visible in your picture.. not the similar one on the opposite side of the socket)

Just plug the programmer into a USB port and measure the voltage on the 4 left pins. Place the black probe on the metal shield of the USB plug for ground and then place the red probe on each of those 4 pins in turn. It will probably read ~5V.

Comment

I'll check that voltage.

Comment

That is the black one with rounded corners I spoke of. It will almost certainly do its signaling at 5V. You can confirm this by measuring the voltage.

Do you see the yellow header with 7 pins sticking up in a row on the programmer? (The one visible in your picture.. not the similar one on the opposite side of the socket)

Just plug the programmer into a USB port and measure the voltage on the 4 left pins. Place the black probe on the metal shield of the USB plug for ground and then place the red probe on each of those 4 pins in turn. It will probably read ~5V.
                            Reads 5V as you stated.Now what? should I return?

Comment

Well it can be modified to run at 3.3V if you want.

It already has a 3.3V regulator (the smaller chip between the big chip and the USB plug). You just need to heat and lift the controller chip's power pin (pin 28) so it isn't connected to the board, and then solder a couple short wires. One of those wires connects to the lifted pin.

The attached picture shows the easiest layout for the wires.
                              Attached Files

Comment

It already has a 3.3V regulator (the smaller chip between the big chip and the USB plug). You just need to heat and lift the controller chip's power pin (pin 28) so it isn't connected to the board, and then solder a couple short wires. One of those wires connects to the lifted pin.

Can you recommend the correct programmer I need from Ebay. Not sure I want to modify something I just bought new.

Comment

I don't see any other cheap ones so far that are readily available in the US, have a trouble-free install process, English software, and so on. At least the CH341A is compatible with 3rd party software as mentioned by Stevedb.

The next step up is a chip programmer costing around $40-$50 (e.g. TL866ii or RT809F).

Comment

I guess I'll modify the one I have. Just to clairify. I lift pin 28 from board. solder wire to pin itself, or the pad.

Comment

You solder to the pin. The pad is where the controller chip is getting 5V from, which is why we need to disconnect the pin from it entirely. After soldering it, I recommend sliding a piece of electrical tape or something underneath the pin, just so it can't accidentally touch the pad again.

So it's one wire from the tab on the regulator chip to the lifted pin, and then a second wire from the tab to the capacitor I've indicated. And that's all it needs.

Comment

You solder to the pin. The pad is where the controller chip is getting 5V from, which is why we need to disconnect the pin from it entirely. After soldering it, I recommend sliding a piece of electrical tape or something underneath the pin, just so it can't accidentally touch the pad again.

So it's one wire from the tab on the regulator chip to the lifted pin, and then a second wire from the tab to the capacitor I've indicated. And that's all it needs.
                                        Ok, Thank you for the clarification, will take care of that by sunday. Anything else I can do to prepare for flash in the meantime.

Comment

The next thing is to get it recognized by your PC. After you plug it in, it won't know how to use that device yet. You'll need to install the driver.

The Colibri software posted above contains the newest driver. You'll need to use 7-zip to extract everything before trying to run the installer. The driver you want is in a file beginning with "CH341PAR". Run the setup program is inside there.

Once the driver is installed, you can move on to checking out the software.

Check out both programs if you wish. NeoProgrammer is probably the simpler of the two. You'll have to set the language to English in the menu though.

After you get to this point, we will need to work on connecting the test clip to the programmer correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X