Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

I have a Hp Probook G3 MoBO DAX73AMB6E1 Rev E charge light blinking, and no power up.Hoping someone can walk a noob through the diagnostic process. I think I have found the correct schematics, but they are a complete greek to me. will try to get some pics and add schematics to this post. thanks again for the help. George
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rccrasher65; 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM. Reason: add schematics

Re: Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Did anything happen immediately prior to this issue (e.g. dropping the device, liquid spill, etc)?

Are you using the original AC adapter or a replacement? What is the wattage?

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Things to try:

Step 1: Inspect the AC adapter plug that connects to the notebook. Is the center pin present and in good condition?

Step 2: Inspect the jack on the notebook. Is it damaged? Is the center pin from the plug broken off inside of it?

Step 3: Inspect all the other ports on the outside of the notebook. Do you see any bent pins touching things they should not, etc?

Step 4: Try disconnecting the AC adapter and battery. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Reconnect power and try starting the notebook again.

Step 5: Try another AC adapter or try that adapter on another notebook.

If none of that helps:

Test the output of the AC adapter with a multimeter. Ground is the outside of the plug and positive is the inside surface. The center pin is an ID pin that tells the notebook the wattage of the adapter.

Place ground lead on the outside of the barrel and touch the inner surface. Nothing bad will happen if you touch the center pin simultaneously on these HPs. You should get about 19.5 volts.

Now touch just the center pin (being careful not to bend it). Don't touch the inner surface of the barrel or you will skew the reading. For most meters (those with an internal impedance of 10M ohms), you should get about 18.5-19V (depends on adapter wattage).

Wiggle the plug a bit (if you can) while taking the readings to make sure there are no loose connections inside. That can be difficult to do without your leads slipping though.

Only if all those tests pass do you need to start testing the motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMidnight View Post
      Did anything happen immediately prior to this issue (e.g. dropping the device, liquid spill, etc)?

Things to try:

Step 1: Inspect the AC adapter plug that connects to the notebook. Is the center pin present and in good condition?

Step 2: Inspect the jack on the notebook. Is it damaged? Is the center pin from the plug broken off inside of it?

Step 3: Inspect all the other ports on the outside of the notebook. Do you see any bent pins touching things they should not, etc?

Step 4: Try disconnecting the AC adapter and battery. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Reconnect power and try starting the notebook again.

If none of that helps:

Test the output of the AC adapter with a multimeter. Ground is the outside of the plug and positive is the inside surface. The center pin is an ID pin that tells the notebook the wattage of the adapter.

Place ground lead on the outside of the barrel and touch the inner surface. Nothing bad will happen if you touch the center pin simultaneously on these HPs. You should get about 19.5 volts.

Now touch just the center pin (being careful not to bend it). Don't touch the inner surface of the barrel or you will skew the reading. For most meters (those with an internal impedance of 10M ohms), you should get about 18.5-19V (depends on adapter wattage).

Wiggle the plug a bit (if you can) while taking the readings to make sure there are no loose connections inside. That can be difficult to do without your leads slipping though.

Thank you for you quick reply, I was just using the laptop when it just shut off, no spills, or drops, very well taken care of. laptop probably only year and half old, this is a replacement motherboard bought used after the original did the same thing, just shut off suddenly, so I have two of these boards, the original and a replacement. this replacement only lasted for about 38 days bought it in mid nov. I have fixed probably 20 tv's since joining badcaps, no laptops but I have good eqipment. no power supply. I just started to take apart laptop, I will do all you suggest first, but pretty sure its mother board. original power supply being used no damage to anything, or loose connections so far but will check more closely, for damage. I think I found a set of schematic but not sure, definately can't read them either way, can use meter just need to know what to test.once again thank you for your help. ill get that stuff tested for yaand post back soon,

Comment

Things to try:

If none of that helps:

step 4 did the trick, you sir are a true genius, you just saved me $1200 for a new computer, thank you so much.I still have the original mother board that needs fixed. I'm going to order a fan and power jack, so that I can work on the original board without taking apart my laptop. I hope you will still help me with that one. Do you do repair work?I'm willing to pay if interested, let me know.

Comment

That's awesome. One down, one to go.

My understanding of the forum rules in the sticky thread is that, although badcaps doesn't accept notebook boards for repair, they do have other services and don't want potential competition soliciting services on the forum. And that's understandable.

If the original board had the same symptoms, it might even have the same solution. Or not. But it's worthwhile starting with the same steps. And if that doesn't work, well.. I guess we may need to crack open that schematic after all.

BTW, if you don't happen to have an extra power button board, shorting together pins 3 and 4 of connector CN5 (where the 4-pin cable from the power button board plugs into the motherboard) is equivalent to pressing the button. Okay I might have peeked at the schematic already..

Comment

[QUOTE=BlueMidnight;873054]That's awesome. One down, one to go.

My understanding of the forum rules in the sticky thread is that, although badcaps doesn't accept notebook boards for repair, they do have other services and don't want potential competition soliciting services on the forum. And that's understandable.

If the original board had the same symptoms, it might even have the same solution. Or not. But it's worthwhile starting with the same steps. And if that doesn't work, well.. I guess we may need to crack open that schematic after all.

BTW, if you don't happen to have an extra power button board, shorting together pins 3 and 4 of connector CN5 (where the 4-pin cable from the power button board plugs into the motherboard) is equivalent to pressing the button. Okay I might have peeked at the schematic already..[/QUOTE well unfortunately, the original board had no charge light but power light, and no start. I did use those same steps, with no luck, so that one probably has an issue in the power part. I need a few days to get the fan and dc jack, I will get back to you then, and thank you again for all your help. So those are the schematics for my board?, wasn't sure.
            Last edited by rccrasher65; 01-08-2019, 11:02 PM.

Comment

The schematic appears correct. You can confirm it by making sure it says "DAX73AMB6E1" on the board itself. You'll find that written near the memory slots on top of the board, and in the same area on the bottom of the board as well.

Comment

every thing matches up, those are my schematics for my board, just can't read them. My parts should be in about 5 days or so. will get back to you then. thank you again for all your help.

Comment

Blue Midnight is there anything I can do in the meantime, while waiting for my parts. Thanks

Comment

There aren't many things to do. You could perhaps check for shorts and write down the resistance to ground on all the grey coils. And on the main power rail.

But they don't make things easy on this board. There are no component identifiers written anywhere. And I can't find any decent high-resolution photos to draw arrows on, see where traces go, and such. Everything I can find online is just slightly too blurry for my taste. So, if you are able to do so, it would be very helpful to attach at least one photo of each side of the board where everything is nice and clear.
                    Last edited by BlueMidnight; 01-11-2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

X73 boardview
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by on/off View Post
                        X73 boardview
                        Awesome. I couldn't find that one. Thanks

Comment

Ok, I'll try and load some clear pics of this board, can't open Rar file. Thanks guys for all the help. Keep in mind a complete noob here.
                          Last edited by rccrasher65; 01-11-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Try extract with 7zip.

The board view opened with:

Comment

Here are the pics.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Alright, we may not get any interesting results with these tests, but there are only certain things that can be done easily until you have a way of powering the board.

Note: The part identifiers I will use are pointed out in the attached pictures #1-3. They are the same identifiers as the schematic and boardview.

Step 1: Test input MOSFETs PQ5 and PQ9 for shorts (see pic #1).

A FET has 3 connections: source, drain, and gate. Typically, they are 8-pin components. Pins 1-3 are the source. Pin 4 is the gate. And pins 5-8 are the drain. The correct voltage on the gate will allow current to flow through the FET in either direction between source and drain with very low resistance. However, current can flow in one direction (but not the other) even when the FET is switched off. This is due to the "body diode" inside the FET.

They can't be tested with complete reliability while still soldered to the board, but we can give it a go.

Use your multimeter in "diode mode" (Very important. Usually has a diode symbol next to it --|>|-- ). Test between source and drain. Then swap the probes and test again. One way should have a low reading. The other way should have an infinite reading. But again, there might be interference from other connected components on the board.

Next, test between the gate and drain. Then the gate and source. It doesn't matter which probes you use. There should be no continuity at all.

All measurements are in volts. Specifically, the meter is telling you how many volts it took make a reference amount of current to flow. Most regular diodes (the FET body diode included) are approximately 0.3V-0.6V, give or take, depending on type of diode and how much current is flowing.

See attached pic #4 for reference.

Step 2: Test power rails for shorts to ground.

For all the inductors (everything with a "PL" prefix in the name in pics #1-3), measure the resistance between the inductor and ground. Both sides of the inductor should give the same reading. You can use the copper around any nearby screw hole as your ground.

Do the same thing for P103 (see pic #1)

The measurements are in ohms.

For all measurements, make sure to scrape/twist against the metal of the pins very gently just to ensure you are touching bare metal. Thin oxide layers can skew the readings sometimes.

Later, we can do voltage measurements with the board powered up. It's also possible there is an issue with the firmware/BIOS. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your time, give me a day or so to get this done, my parts should arrive on Mon. Thank you again!

Comment

Alright, we may not get any interesting results with these tests, but there are only certain things that can be done easily until you have a way of powering the board.

Note: The part identifiers I will use are pointed out in the attached pictures #1-3. They are the same identifiers as the schematic and boardview.

Step 1: Test input MOSFETs PQ5 and PQ9 for shorts (see pic #1).

A FET has 3 connections: source, drain, and gate. Typically, they are 8-pin components. Pins 1-3 are the source. Pin 4 is the gate. And pins 5-8 are the drain. The correct voltage on the gate will allow current to flow through the FET in either direction between source and drain with very low resistance. However, current can flow in one direction (but not the other) even when the FET is switched off. This is due to the "body diode" inside the FET.

They can't be tested with complete reliability while still soldered to the board, but we can give it a go.

Use your multimeter in "diode mode" (Very important. Usually has a diode symbol next to it --|>|-- ). Test between source and drain. Then swap the probes and test again. One way should have a low reading. The other way should have an infinite reading. But again, there might be interference from other connected components on the board.

Next, test between the gate and drain. Then the gate and source. It doesn't matter which probes you use. There should be no continuity at all.

All measurements are in volts. Specifically, the meter is telling you how many volts it took make a reference amount of current to flow. Most regular diodes (the FET body diode included) are approximately 0.3V-0.6V, give or take, depending on type of diode and how much current is flowing.

See attached pic #4 for reference.

Step 2: Test power rails for shorts to ground.

For all the inductors (everything with a "PL" prefix in the name in pics #1-3), measure the resistance between the inductor and ground. Both sides of the inductor should give the same reading. You can use the copper around any nearby screw hole as your ground.

Do the same thing for P103 (see pic #1)

The measurements are in ohms.

For all measurements, make sure to scrape/twist against the metal of the pins very gently just to ensure you are touching bare metal. Thin oxide layers can skew the readings sometimes.

Later, we can do voltage measurements with the board powered up. It's also possible there is an issue with the firmware/BIOS. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
                                    I have some results, PL28-308.3 ohms PL25-50.0 ohms PL16-9.63k ohms PL15-0.4 ohms PL12-0.4 ohms PL11-191.2k ohms PL18-17.0 ohms PL17-30.1 ohms PL21-25.0 ohms measurement are the same on both sides of the inductors, give or take a few points. I will get the rest on Mon. can you label fet PQ5 I'm not sure I have pins right. Thank you!

Comment

The pins for PQ5 are numbered in pic #4, so I assume you meant PQ9. See attached pic #5.

All you need to do is find the dots that show you where pin 1 in located. Then start counting counter-clockwise. This board has white dots on the board itself. But, even without those, there is a dot near pin 1 on the actual chip. Or, in some cases, they will have a notch or marking on that side of the component.

All those measurements look okay.. except PL12 and PL15. Let's double-check those with a different technique. Place your multimeter in diode mode, then put the red (yes, the red) probe on ground and the black probe on PL12 and PL15. The reading will be in volts.

One other step I should have mentioned is to just scan over the whole board carefully and look for anything suspicious. Sometimes the bad component is just staring you right in the face.

Some things to look for:
                                      - Corrosion or residue on the board or component pins
                                      - Physically broken components
                                      - Components with craters or bulging/brown spots on them
                                      - Cracked/loose solder joints
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I'll retest those components, plus the ones I didn't get to. My parts are going to be in today, so I should be able to power up board. thanks again. I did go over board there are no obvious signs of damage present. checked it a few times befor I purchased a replacement, that you helped get back in working order. Thanks again for that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X